eye discharge

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

eye discharge

Postby aleks215 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:07 pm

penny has been getting some discharge from her eyes (eye boogers) its light yellowish almost white. i wipe it anytime i notice it but with in a couple of hours its there again. just wondering if anyone has had this happen to thier dog. if it doesnt go away with in a day or so i will call my vet. hope its nothing serious her eyes arent red or dont seem irritated at all its just the eye boogers that got me worried
aleks215

Postby Kyton88 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:08 pm

Yellow is generally not a good sign. I would get her to the vet as soon as possible. Sounds like you're on top of things, so just keep an eye on it.

Have you noticed any sneezing or coughing as well? Combined with those symtoms, she could be getting kennel cough (Nelli had it her first week from the pound, eye's cleared up in two days after giving her meds).

Your dog has such pretty eyes, make sure you keep em that way :-)
Kyton88

Postby chewalotopus » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:10 pm

My dogs constantly have eye boogers/goobers. Especially my younger 2. Aiko had yellowy-green eye boogers once & I took her to the vet & they gave me some ointment to put on her tear ducts. It helped right away...

If the dog doesn't have ANY other symptoms, what could the problem be? The rescue ladu I work with said that they can get really bad during teething (which my youngest is just finishing), and then clear up afterwards. Is this true?
chewalotopus

Postby aleks215 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:06 pm

im taking penny to the vet today.. this morning i woke up and saw penny had a large amount of eye boogers all over her eyes.. its weird she doesnt look uncomfortable or anything. but her eyes were almost glued closed with all the eye boogers. hope its nothing serious
aleks215

Postby chewalotopus » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:16 am

She probably has an infection in her tear ducts - or some kind of infection. Aiko had lots of goop like you described when I took her in for it.

It will clear up with some ointment. Don't worry! But definitely take care of it right away - as if left as is, can cause all sorts of problems, including blindness! (This is what my vet told me, not my opinion.)

Hope your pup get better soon :thumbsup:
chewalotopus

Postby aleks215 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:16 am

penny will be fine. the vet gave me some ointment and some antihistamines. my vet said it might be an alergic reaction to pollen or other stuff in the grass, dirt. etc. he said it should be fine with in 2 weeks. and she gots a check up in 2 weeks.. so i hope all is well
thanks for your replys
aleks215

Postby mnp13 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:34 am

Have you changed foods recently?

My mother's standard poodle gets horrible eye boogers if she eats anything with wheat in it.

Michelle
mnp13

Return to Health Issues