What do you use to stimulate appetite?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
K9Siren

What do you use to stimulate appetite?

Postby K9Siren » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Ever since I got Sebastian, he's been a very picky eater. When I got him from the shelter, he had a tapeworm problem. He's since been treated and, he's fine. Still, sometimes he just has no appetite. I've changed foods and, I found a food he likes more than others. Still, he will sometimes just not eat. Once in awhile, I'll give him a bit of something like a piece of salmon if I have sushi take-out or, pizza crust, or a cracker. Usually, just a bit of that will get him going enough to walk over to his food bowl and wait for something to eat.

So, what can I maybe put on his food or mix with it to stimulate his appetite? Do any of you do anything or, have this problem?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:22 pm

Garion will occasionally be more worried that I'm going to leave him than that he's not eating his breakfast. Most of the time I will stand where he can see me so he knows I'm not leaving, at least not yet. Sometimes he doesn't finish his food and that's fine, I put it up. 4 times a week they get fish/borage oil in their food, if he's particularly hesitant adding just a little oil will get him to start, even if he doesn't finish.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:01 am

Feed raw? :))

Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Bosses Dad » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:32 am

A couple of spoonfuls of cottage cheese works pretty good for Boss. Either that or some yogurt.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:01 am

adoptAshelterPit wrote:
bahamutt99 wrote:Feed raw? :))

:goodpost: :))

Raw? What's that?

lol

I've done that too. 8)

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:23 pm

Do you measure how much food you give him?

Sometimes they're just not hungry! His appetite ebbs and flows from day to day week to week. I give him the same amount morning and night. If he wants more he tells me and I give him more. Sometimes he doesn't finish his first serving.

Once in a while I will hardboil a dozen eggs and give Dreyfus one with his breakfast. This does seem to make him a little more ravenous.

K9Siren

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:42 pm

A dozen is a lot ... I do measure out the food. He gets the same amount twice a day. Of course, it is going to be more soon because he's not yet 5 months old. If I give him just a bit of "people food" he will eat his dog food. I am thinking of maybe some boiled eggs, fish oil and maybe a piece of raw fish on his food once in awhile.

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:06 pm

Can you imagine the farts! :fart:

Go back and read, silly people. ONE egg with his breakfast! I boil a dozen to save time! roflmao

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:18 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:OOOOOOH!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao

you really had me confused there! lol

Well, it is 4/20! I can see why your confused! roflmao

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:09 pm

Romanwild wrote:
adoptAshelterPit wrote:OOOOOOH!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao

you really had me confused there! lol

Well, it is 4/20! I can see why your confused! roflmao

roflmao roflmao roflmao

hey now!! nothing wrong with that!!

K9Siren

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:59 pm

I figured you boiled a dozen eggs and, gave him one...just for time's sake. That may not be a bad idea. I made egg salad not too long ago and, gave Sebastian some of the yolk - he loved it. I know a lot of people feed raw but, I don't know a lot about it and, it seems a bit expensive. I love my dog very much but, I just don't have the money to buy so many different kinds of food. I have to conserve and, do what I can. I did give him a bit of pizza crust today and, he ate alright.

stella
Matured Bully

Postby stella » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:02 am

I'd definitely avoid the pizza crust - no nutritional value at all, dogs cannot digest carbs - especially a puppy. Blech

Try putting a hard boiled egg, raw egg, yogurt, cottage cheese or a bit of canned salmon in his food. (omega 3s are VERY important) Give him something that is yummy and GOOD for his growing body.

Peerless
Matured Bully

Postby Peerless » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:26 am

Use the water from a can of Tuna, works wonders!!!

stella
Matured Bully

Postby stella » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Careful not to use tuna more than once per week because tuna have mercury buildup in their bodies - the same goes for humans.

Stick with canned Salmon or Jack Mackeral. Very good food souce for puppies, omega 3s AND natural calcium.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:51 pm

I went through this with Daisy big time in the beginning. She wouldn't eat for days at a time. Now much later she is a ravenous eater but she needed to
A: get into the swing of eating on a stable schedule. Much like if your not used to breakfast you aren't hungry for it.

B: Get a food she liked. She isn't and never has been overly food motivated so she really had to like the food.

C: More exercise

I still supplement in things for health but in the beginning she wouldn't eat kibble unless I added something. Her number one fav is fish. I use canned Salmon. I also use olive oil, yogurt, cottage cheese, and raw eggs.

In general with most dogs I find that "warm" trades really high. I have a hard time getting enough fluids in Daisy in general so I take her cup of food and mix in about a cup of very hot tap water. It totally warms the kibble,makes a broth of sorts, and is cool enough for her to eat in about 10 seconds. She loves it. I do this with the roomies cat and dog as well. Good luck.

Return to “Health Issues”