Nylon collar reactions?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Nylon collar reactions?

Postby Taowulf » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:11 pm

Last night we noticed that Brewser has a couple of sores right underneath his collar. Since we put it on him last Sunday, he scratches at it constantly. It is hard to tell if the sores are from him scratchign at the collar just becuase he doesnt like it/isn't used to it or if he is actually having some kind of reaction to the nylon and the scratching has irritated the skin further.

We took the collar off last night and he is scratchign at his neck less and the sores have scabbed over.

Since we hate the idea of him not wearing his license and tag, we want to have a collar on him, but don't know what do. Any suggestions? Perhaps a collar made of a different material? if it is just the "annoyance" of the collar causing him to itch, any suggestions to get him accostomed to it would be appreciated.
Taowulf

Postby addy's daddy » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:18 pm

hey,

Addy went thru the same thing when she first started wearing the collar. She's wasnt strong enough to cause any damage with the itching, but she was trying.

She's not bothered by it now, and she wears it all the time.

I would loosen the collar to the point of being able to slip it off (as long as she's not tied out) so some air can get in there and she can get used to it.
addy's daddy

Postby Taowulf » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:57 pm

addy's daddy wrote:hey,

Addy went thru the same thing when she first started wearing the collar. She's wasnt strong enough to cause any damage with the itching, but she was trying.

She's not bothered by it now, and she wears it all the time.

I would loosen the collar to the point of being able to slip it off (as long as she's not tied out) so some air can get in there and she can get used to it.

Thanks. We will give that try once the sores are a little more healed.

*must....not....compliment....Addison's......looks....AGAIN.....*
Taowulf

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:21 pm

I can't use nylon on Daisy. It gives her rope burn since she has thin fur. Only leather or she'll have marks, itch, and scratch.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Taowulf » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:17 am

moto1320 wrote:I can't use nylon on Daisy. It gives her rope burn since she has thin fur. Only leather or she'll have marks, itch, and scratch.

Thanks for the recommendation. He does have a pretty thin coat. I will probably try a leather one later this week when the sores are healed up a bit more.
Taowulf

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:57 am

Cool, The best ones I have seen made are by www.blackjacksleather.com and they sew a second very soft leather layer on the inside where it contacts the skin. These are as good as it gets for a great price. A good bit cheaper, still good quality but not as good is www.acmekennel.com. Their prices are amazing. I have done business with both and had great results. Good luck. :thumbsup:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Wow.......Blackjacks has some nice looking gear.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:16 pm

You wouldn't believe it until you open the box. The collars outlast the dogs. They are amazing. They take measurements down to the fraction of the inch too, fits like a glove with just enough for two fingers to grab. That's what Daisy wears since ahe likes to play tow truck. :roll:
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues