Heartworm

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby hyperbole » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:38 pm

barbponys wrote:Ummmmm, sorry Hyper. As far as I've heard it isn't a problem here. There's never been a verifyable case of heartworm, the one that started the hysteria was a transplant from down south and had them already. My vet is very good about being totally honest and he has major problems with vets telling clients they need to put their pets on heartworm. Believe me, if it was necessary I would be the first one going to the feed store and buying some ivermec.

:po:

Odnarb recommended this vet to me... I was sure she would be a great one since Odnarb seems so "in the know".... Odnarb, you reading this?

Well I've got 12 Interceptor pills, never been used. Anyone wanna buy 'em? Maybe I'll try Ebay. lol
hyperbole

Postby elegy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:07 pm

if you have not opened them and really don't want them, you may be able to return them to the vet. you can call and ask.

we don't see a lot of heartworms here (central pa) but we do see them. as far as i'm concerned, $90 for a year's worth of meds is not that high a price to pay for peace of mind, and it's far cheaper than paying for a treatment that might kill my dog.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:01 am

Well, the Heartgaurd Plus or straight Ivomec like I use protects against many types of Worms, not just Heartworms, so it isn't a bad idea.

Hookworms, RoundWorms, Whipworms (I didn't think with Whips, but vet said it did), Earmites, and Scarocoptic mange are on the list prevented. If you don't want to pony up the cash you can order the Ivomec like Blue Steel and I do and for a fraction of that price have enough to protect your dog forever.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Odnarb » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:48 pm

hyperjoga wrote:
Odnarb recommended this vet to me... I was sure she would be a great one since Odnarb seems so "in the know".... Odnarb, you reading this?

Well I've got 12 Interceptor pills, never been used. Anyone wanna buy 'em? Maybe I'll try Ebay. lol

There's heartworm here. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Odnarb » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:49 pm

barbponys wrote:Ummmmm, sorry Hyper. As far as I've heard it isn't a problem here. There's never been a verifyable case of heartworm, the one that started the hysteria was a transplant from down south and had them already.

Down south as in the PORTLAND area? Local native dogs HAVE been found to be positive, and the number grows every year.

A lot of veterinarians are still in denial that it is becoming a threat to the Pacific NW.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:51 pm

We use Interceptor preventative. Our vet will sell a years supply, or you can buy the pills once a month. They're really cheap...Pookie and Vicki's are like $4.75 per pill, and Daphne's is $3.00.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby sam » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:51 pm

For the ivomec-
Do you buy the injectible variety and then give it orally to your dogs? I just went to the farm supply store and they only sell an injectible kind. The store person wouldn't say that it could be used orally (because the box doesn't say that) but he did say that he knows people who give it orally.
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby hyperbole » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:12 pm

Odnarb wrote:
barbponys wrote:Ummmmm, sorry Hyper. As far as I've heard it isn't a problem here. There's never been a verifyable case of heartworm, the one that started the hysteria was a transplant from down south and had them already.

Down south as in the PORTLAND area? Local native dogs HAVE been found to be positive, and the number grows every year.

A lot of veterinarians are still in denial that it is becoming a threat to the Pacific NW.

Ok, thanks for setting that straight Odnarb! :) The doc seemed like a suuuuper nice lady, not the type to scam at all... Glad to hear she sold us the interceptor pills for good reason, even if my bank account suffers. :))
hyperbole

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:53 pm

No down south as in Texas transfer. My vet knows of no cases in Washington.......he's not the type to be in denial. I'm not saying it isn't possible.........he's seen none and heard of none. Fellow Washingtonians??? Have you heard any different?
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Odnarb » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:09 pm

barbponys wrote:No down south as in Texas transfer. My vet knows of no cases in Washington.......he's not the type to be in denial. I'm not saying it isn't possible.........he's seen none and heard of none. Fellow Washingtonians??? Have you heard any different?

According to the American Heartworm Society

Canine heartworm infection is widely distributed throughout the United States. Heartworm infection has been found in dogs native to all 50 states.

One of the local cases lived right on the Columbia River. Don't know how much closer you can get to WA state than that.

Anyway, here's a link to stats from January 1, 2001 to December 31, 2001 for WA state. Take into account that the total is likely much higher, as most think that it's NOT a problem and don't test for it.

WA State Heartworm incidence by county

How many dogs showing signs of cengestive heart failure but never get worked up are actually heartworm positive? I'll bet more than a handful.

Washington State Heartworm Incidence By County

Take a look at Oregon. Again, a lot still aren't testing.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:19 pm

sam wrote:For the ivomec-
Do you buy the injectible variety and then give it orally to your dogs? I just went to the farm supply store and they only sell an injectible kind. The store person wouldn't say that it could be used orally (because the box doesn't say that) but he did say that he knows people who give it orally.

I give it orally. Use a syringe to measure it, but just squirt it on a piece of bread or something and give them that. It's pretty bitter from what I'm told so doctor it up.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby sam » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:02 pm

thanks moto, just wanted to make sure that i'm doing everything right before giving it to my babies :)
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sam » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:14 pm

so does i cc equate to 0.1 mg?
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Odnarb » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:25 pm

hyperjoga wrote:Ok, thanks for setting that straight Odnarb! :) The doc seemed like a suuuuper nice lady, not the type to scam at all... Glad to hear she sold us the interceptor pills for good reason, even if my bank account suffers. :))

She's a great lady, and very ethical veterinarian. She's not the type to recommend something just to sell, nor is she the type to take money to do something unethical.

It was actually her that led to me having my wonderful Buster for five years. She was filling in at our practice when one of our vets was out of town. When his then owners took him into the exam room, their presenting complaint was limping. A few minutes later Dr. Walker came out saying, "They want to put him to sleep! There's nothing seriously wrong with him! Anyone want a Pug? Go talk to them."

I need to give her a call, I don't think she knows that he's gone.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:29 pm

sam wrote:so does i cc equate to 0.1 mg?

1 cc= .1 ml

I know what you mean, I still psych myself out whenever giving the stuff. It would take about 1.5 ml or 1.5 tuburculin syringes full to actually OD the dog though.
moto1320
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues