hi all new here

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

hi all new here

Postby SFBullyGirl » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi my name is Lisa and I live in San Francisco :hi I have a few questions..ok a lot of questions...

My boyfriend and I are looking to adopt a rescue dog sometime in late June early July and I was wondering how long the adoption approval process takes. There are a few recues that I have seen on petfinder from reunion rescue and bad rap that look like great dogs, but I am not sure if we start the process and are approved if the dogs can stay with their foster homes until then ( I am even willing to pay for their food etc if this is the case). The reason for the delay is we are either going to move, or do some renovations on our kitchen and do nto want to disrupt the new family member with all the comotion. So is it better to start the process now or wait until it is closer to when we are ready to take the dog, or both and see if the dogs they have are a good fit or whether we are just on the list for the right fit.

A little about us for any of you rescue folks reading this that may be able to help us. We live about a block from Dolores park, own our home, and are both lifelong dog lovers. I have owned several shar peis and my boyfriend had a roomate for a very long time who had a pitbull that he adored. I have always wanted a pitty or bully and we decided now is a good time for us. We do work fulltime and will be out of the home from about 9-6:30 each day, but we will be having a dog walker come in daily for hour long walks as well as early morning and evening walks by us.

We are looking for a dog in the 1-3 year range and I am a big believer in obedience training and am actually currently training my moms 2 shar pei puppies...so needless to say I am looking forward to a little older dogs :) ...though the puppies are friggin cute.

I am one of those people who research everythign ad naseum and read as much as possible which lead me to this forum. I am also reading several books on the breed to familirize myself with the breed before we add our new baby...I am also interested in any local event with the pitbulls in the next month or two if anyone knows of any so I can go watch or meet some of the dogs.

thank you for you time to read this and I look forward to getting to know you all.
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby mypitmika » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:27 am

I don't know that I can help you with you time frame question, but I wanted to say welcome to the forum and thank you for considering adoption! I actually adopted my pit mix from petfinder. I ended up adopting from a local pound (she was a "pound puppy") who didn't really seem to care who was adopting what breed. Of course, they advertised her as a lab mix, but through research of my own and my vet's opinions, she was a mix, but a pit mix! My adoption process went very quickly - contacted her foster mom, interviewed and had a home visit, filled out some paperwork and in about a week, had my pudgy little pup! I'd imagine every rescue is different though.

Well, I'll stop rambling. Just wanted to welcome you and I'm sure that there are people here that can give you more advice on the adoption processes from the groups that you mentioned.
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tjbsandy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:52 am

:welcome:
tjbsandy

Postby ripley6 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:44 am

Boy, have you come to the right place for knowledge and great rescues!! :))
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Pitt-terra » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:21 pm

:hi
Pitt-terra

Postby SFBullyGirl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:11 pm

thanks all...I am learning so much here. I have also decided to see about volunteering with some local organizations for walking the dogs and helping out at adoption events..I figure that is a good way to give back to a worhty cause and get know the breed over the next few months before we adopt one.
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Taz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:30 pm

:welcome: :hi
Taz

Postby Astah » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:05 pm

Hey and a big welcome! What a wonderful introduction :)
I too, started volunteering and got adopted by a pitbull...So maybe that is a great way to get to know an extra good one that you click with ?

Asa and Guinness
Astah
Super Bully

Postby Kaytlin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:15 pm

Kaytlin

Postby bullseye77 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:32 am

:peace: Welcome, that was an awesome intro :headbang: You may even find a pitty to adopt you here when your ready ;) lol Anyways, thanks for the intro and again welcome to the best forum on the net!! :thumbsup:
bullseye77

Postby SFBullyGirl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:38 pm

well we have decided that we can go ahead and get a dog now, we will just use the doggy daycareif we do the kitchen remoedel..I am so excited !!. So, we will be looking at a few rescue dogs this weekend....thanks for the warm welcome and I cannot wait till I have pics and stories to post right along with you guys.
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby viceproductions » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:25 pm

I am in the same position in regards to working during the day. I spoke extensively with many shelter staff and animal control officers, and they all assured me that an adult dog would be fine if left lone during the day in a crate. One of the them even told me that once she left her dog alone in a crate for 17 hours! That's cause she couldn't get off work and was stuck.
viceproductions

Postby PitBullPride » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:17 pm

Hello!!!!! :))
PitBullPride

Postby SFBullyGirl » Mon May 02, 2005 6:08 pm

well we found the little girl we are going with. She is a 3 year old pit mix, really sweet, LOVES dogs and people, has basic training under her belt just needs some refresher work and leash walking. We took her to a training class to see how she and we worked together and it was great...so we bring her home on Wednesday !! I will have more and much better pics then of course...and thanks for the warm welcome and I now look forward to actually having something to discuss on the board :))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/s ... newdog.jpg
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby whiskeyman » Mon May 02, 2005 6:11 pm

Here ya go...

jeremy
whiskeyman

Next

Return to Introductions