B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:33 am

concreterose wrote:I'm pretty lazy. I feed prepackaged raw (Nature's Variety and Bravo premixes). Partly because my old gal has to have meat w/no antibiotics or hormones, so I just started giving it to all the dogs. I do want to start giving RMB's in addition to the premixes though. The oxtails and neckbones look like something I will try. Should I decrease the amount of raw food they get when I give RMB's, or are they just mainly for teeth cleaning purposes?

It really depends on how much meat is on the bones Millicent. If they have a lot of meat, I decrease the amount of a regular meal. If it's mostly bone, I usually feed a normal sized meal. Also, with ox tails, I give Garion 4, Fancy 5, Sasha 3 and Goliath gets 1
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Pitt-terra » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:39 am

Pitt-terra wrote:Is there a difference between RAW & BARF? Do you give veggies with BARF?
Pitt-terra

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 am

Raw and BARF are different philosphies. Raw is based on feeding whole carcasses, no veggies and some supplementation. BARF is based on feeding raw meaty bones, a lot backs, necks and wings are fed. Grains aren't usually fed but there's some who do, veggies are used and a lot of stuff is pre-ground. If you want to read up on it theres a book by Ian Billinghurst, Give Your Dog a Bone. There's also Tom Lonsdales Raw Meaty Bones.

I don't follow either philosophy exclusively. I lean more towards raw than BARF. I don't feed JUST backs, necks and wings, I feed the whole carcass. I feel the RMB deal is too much bone and not enough meat. I supplement with kelp and oils, not much vegetable matter. They do get it, just not much.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Pitt-terra » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:14 am

barbponys,

thank you so much i had a general idea but wasn't 100% sure. Plus, I wanted the resident food guru's (u) input.
Pitt-terra

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:22 am

Pitt-terra wrote:barbponys,

thank you so much i had a general idea but wasn't 100% sure. Plus, I wanted the resident food guru's (u) input.

You are more than welcome. It's good reading as much as you can, that way you can find out what resonates for you. I've found that my feeding habits have evolved over the decade I've done this. I've found a lot of people make it waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. Good quality meat sources, feeding a variety of meats and making sure organ meat is included(blood is also a very important component), and a good plant based vit/min supplement and you are good to go. They aren't that complicated to feed, simple is better and they thrive :thumbsup: .
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby jcolt32 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:00 pm

I feed a pretty varied raw diet. Mostly it's Praire from Nature's Variety. I give raw bones, someitmes I give them all meat cans. What I do reccommend is rotating your meat sources so they are getting variety. I also recommend rotating supplements. Try not to worry about supplements for each given meal. As long as the dog gets what he needs say over a week period of time. You can always fast if you choose. I can't seem to get a whole fast day in. I have 4 dogs and the puppy eats constantly - so of course when the puppy eats, the others get at least a little bit of beef lung or some kind of snack. Best thing I ever did for them. The pits are doing great. And, our 16 year old Shih Tzo looks like she's 8.
jcolt32

Postby Lacy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:00 pm

This topic is great. I'm very sketchy on feeding raw, so this has been really helpful.

While we are on the topic, what kinds of meaty bones do you guys feed? I usually give the dogs marrow bones and I'm looking to branch out into other stuff for them.
Lacy
Super Bully

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:15 pm

What is the longest anyone has been feeding raw, both around here and that anyone has heard about?
Chris

Postby concreterose » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:31 pm

Chea, Pookie gets a detox broth that she can drink all day. It consists of chicken liver, beets, parsnips, dandelion greens and garlic. I don't fast Vicki much, she throws up if she goes too long without eating. But sometimes I'll just give her one meal of raw a day if she's not very active. I let her drink off of Pookie's broth.

You can make any kind of broth you want though using vegetables or some kind of meat. I know some people that just do vegetable broths if they don't want to do any proteins when the dogs fast.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:37 pm

In a medium pot bring to a boil a half pound of chicken liver, 3 ounces of beets and a large parsnip. When it begins boiling, cut on low and simmer for an hour or more. Remove from heat, add one large clove of garlic and a handful of dandelion greens. When it cools, strain the liquid through. Let the dogs drink freely from this all day. You may need to increase the recipe a bit since your dogs are a bit bigger than mine. You can save and puree the veggies and freeze them or give them as treats. Any broth that may be left can be poured over their food, or you can freeze it and give it as 'popsicles'.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Salival » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:55 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:ok, for the people who fast. How do you do it? do you give them chicken broth or something? is there any special thing i should do?

When I fast the dogs I make sure they have a calm lounging day. Like the race horses, the dogs are off on Sundays unless a special event. If there is a special event, I either get natural balance meat rolls to give them as treats throughout the day or I feed them.

But on a normal fasting Sunday they have water and raw meaty bones, nothing more.
Salival
Super Bully

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:33 pm

Chris wrote:What is the longest anyone has been feeding raw, both around here and that anyone has heard about?

I've fed raw for almost a decade. I know one woman that has fed nothing but raw for about 15 yrs.

Marrow bones don't really work as Meat bones Lacy. They have usually been fairly well cleaned of meat. They also are too dense to make a real meal out of them, they also are the prime cause of slab fractures in dogs with weaker teeth.

I give ox tails mostly, when I can get them I will give them shoulder blades. These both usually have a lot of meat on them, Garion will get 3 shoulder blades or 4 ox tails. I don't feed beef rib bones. After Camerons experience with Daisy, and seeing the splinters that Sasha has gotten off them in the past....... I avoid them.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pblove » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:56 pm

Thanks for all the input buys!
What about the meats, I do not have access to a butcher, so have to get meats from the regulr store, not only is it expensive, but then I have the worry of the hormones , preservtives and garbage?
I still do not se hwo this is less expensive as the cheaperst I see chicken is on sale $1.45 a pound. And I never see chicken or turkey backs?
Where do you alll feed your dogs, because of the bacteria and mess?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:06 pm

pblove wrote:Thanks for all the input buys!
What about the meats, I do not have access to a butcher, so have to get meats from the regulr store, not only is it expensive, but then I have the worry of the hormones , preservtives and garbage?
I still do not se hwo this is less expensive as the cheaperst I see chicken is on sale $1.45 a pound. And I never see chicken or turkey backs?
Where do you alll feed your dogs, because of the bacteria and mess?

I have a friend that gets her chicken leg quarters for about 50 cents a pound. She gets them frozen and about 12 to a bag for about 5 bucks. They each weighed about 10 oz so it's plenty for her little lab mix. That lasts her about 6 days. It would be a lot less expensive if she bought whole chickens. She found them on sale last week for 40 cents a pound, she bought about 6 of them, they averaged 4 pounds. Her dog will eat on those for a good while......

My guys eat ouside during the summer, except the pug. He eats in his crate year round since he will tussle with any of them over food. He doesn't leave in his bowl long enough for any bacteria there may be to even leave the meat. Knives, bowls and cutting surfaces are meticulously maintained, just like with our food prep.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby stella » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:25 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:ok, for the people who fast. How do you do it? do you give them chicken broth or something? is there any special thing i should do?

My dogs might get a neck (buffalo or beef) when they're fasting or they get nothing at all. We usually fast the day of agility training - they still get random treats at agility so it all works out. They're hungry,motivated, focused and their bowels are empty. (During the day, they supplement their diet with bugs and some grass lol )
stella
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues