B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Zero » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:35 pm

I plan to feed raw to my next dog, but s/he'll be a puppy and I don't think fasting a puppy would be a good idea would it? What age would you start fasting them?
Zero

Postby tjbsandy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:40 pm

Oh My God.

:yucky:

I now know more about the anatomy of a chicken than I ever ever ever wanted to know.

Chea, you are a better woman than I am. I eat meat and almost threw up several times.

But the good news is, after Lilith stopped looking at me like I am a freakshow for giving her a bowl full of raw meat, she did very well with it. Once I get the swing of all this I think we might all be happier.
tjbsandy

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:58 pm

tjbsandy wrote:Oh My God.

:yucky:

I now know more about the anatomy of a chicken than I ever ever ever wanted to know.

Chea, you are a better woman than I am. I eat meat and almost threw up several times.

But the good news is, after Lilith stopped looking at me like I am a freakshow for giving her a bowl full of raw meat, she did very well with it. Once I get the swing of all this I think we might all be happier.

roflmao roflmao Sorry Tara. It's mean to laugh. I guess that's why Denny won't cut them up for the dogs. Once you get used to it? You will be able to cut a chicken up in no time :)) . Good for you taking the first step :thumbsup:
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby satanscheerleader » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:20 pm

I feed raw meat treats but as of now I have no freezer to store anything. I would love to be able to buy some bulk. Wouldn't it rock to have friends that hunt! Everytime we shop I hunt through meat section for a good treat for the crew! Ox tails are expensive here! I try to get them something different each time. I was grinding up fruit and veggies to go with the raw meat but I burnt out the blender! I really need a new one. While I am blenderless I use a fine cheese grater. :sad:
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby tjbsandy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:22 pm

Don't be sorry Pat. Somewhere down the line I will be laughing at someone else, and probably at an inappropriate time. lol

It really was nasty though. Gabe kept saying he would do it, but I told him it was my bright idea to feed the dog raw, so I needed to do it myself.

Next time I will take him up on the offer.

Where in the heck do you find ox tails? We looked today, but I have no idea. And are you guys using pork or beef soup bones? All I saw was pork.....
tjbsandy

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:53 pm

Beef. A lot of times the meat cutter will have misc. bones in the freezer. When they have shoulder blades available I tend to clean them out.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pblove » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:38 pm

O.K. one more thing/question?
There is basically all the meats listed.
The veggies are lsited in here somewhere too.
So, can some one make a psot with the extra stuff need to add, oils, acv. calcium, multiple vitamn, ???
It would be a lot easier to look at the lsits then have to keep going back and reading the whole thread to look for everything.
PLEASE and Thank You too.
:bowdown:
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:06 pm

Meats to feed:
chicken
beef
turkey
fish
pork(optional)

veggies:
kale
swiss chard
collard greens
spinach
peppers
broccoli
brussel sprouts
zuchinni
summer squash
egg plant
carrots
turnip
asparagus
jicama
daicon
Basically anything that catches your fancy, avoid the starchy stuff and it MUST be pureed or they can't digest it.

Fruits:
Anything but grapes and avocado

Additions:
kelp & alfalfa(vitamin mineral supplement)
omega 3(fish) oils 3:1 ratio to the omega 6
omega 6(borage is best if you can find it) oil
eggs(shell and all)
whole fat yogurt(organic is better, less sugar)
cottage cheese(4% fat) if they will tolerate it
garlic(whole clove not powder)

Meaty bones:
neck
shoulder blade
ox tails
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pblove » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:07 pm

This is great, thank you so very much, Barbspony!!!!!

:bowdown: :clap :cheerleader: :yay:
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby stella » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:47 am

adoptAshelterPit wrote:roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

Tara, just wait untill you chop up a whole turkey!! Chickens dont bother me at all anymore. not even a little bit. Imagine the grossness of a chicken, but multiply it 10 times. :yucky:

Rabbits are worse....but my guys love 'em when I can get 'em.
stella
Matured Bully

Postby barbponys » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:00 am

We usually go through a lot of ice on trips....... Get a big cooler, and keep the ice fresh, it travels well actually. If some starts to go south it won't matter to the dogs....... Is there a fridge there?
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby chance's mom » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:12 pm

ok guys so i just started feeding chance barf becuase i think he was getting spots like from demodex or food allergies. anyhow i have been making the veggi cubes w/ squash, sweet potatoe, broccoli, apples, yogurt, brussel sprouts, and yams. we have been giving him chicken, chicken heart, kidney, liver, all beef or chicken. no pig. i am having a hard time with what to feed and when, how much organs, how i huge beef ribs w/ a lot of meet on them for chance last night and he loves all this btw, we had no trouble getting him to eat anything but veggis and that ended with the addition of yogurt. i just dont know how much of what to feed him and when. does this all sound about right? we normally give him id say at most 3 lbs a day, and he weighs 50lbs. is this too much, to little? sorry i am just wanting to make sure i do all this right for him.
chance's mom

Postby RescueRules » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Fresh green tripe is the worst...stinky and oh so gross...but the dogs love it. (and I'm a vegetarian to boot) the very worst time was when I was slighty hungover and was feeding the dogs tripe for breakfast....gag, retch,and gag some more....man I hope these dogs appreciate what I do for them.
RescueRules

Postby barbponys » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:21 pm

chance's mom wrote:ok guys so i just started feeding chance barf becuase i think he was getting spots like from demodex or food allergies. anyhow i have been making the veggi cubes w/ squash, sweet potatoe, broccoli, apples, yogurt, brussel sprouts, and yams. we have been giving him chicken, chicken heart, kidney, liver, all beef or chicken. no pig. i am having a hard time with what to feed and when, how much organs, how i huge beef ribs w/ a lot of meet on them for chance last night and he loves all this btw, we had no trouble getting him to eat anything but veggis and that ended with the addition of yogurt. i just dont know how much of what to feed him and when. does this all sound about right? we normally give him id say at most 3 lbs a day, and he weighs 50lbs. is this too much, to little? sorry i am just wanting to make sure i do all this right for him.

I wouldn't put both yams and sweet potato in the veggie mixes. Just one or the other.

How old is Chance? 3# seems like a lot to me. Garion is 83# and still growing and he gets about 3#. I have a 70# adult and she gets less than 2#.............
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby chance's mom » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:49 pm

chance is 6mos old
i just got the sweet potatoe and its in the new mix, i used very little of it i really appreciate the help. i know im a beginner and am making it harder than it needs to be, so any help is appreciated. thanx so much guys
chance's mom

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues