puppy diet question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

puppy diet question

Postby addy's daddy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:42 pm

this was hard to search out, lots of stuff on diets.

I 'feel' like I need to suplement my pups (9wks) diet in the coming weeks. I was thinking of something easy like.

tuna fish
plain yogurt
eggs
carrots

I dont want to go to a strictly fresh diet, I want to add into her dry food.

I heard bananna's are good for their coat too.

any tips, ideas... or is she just too young to start messing with her diet?

thank you
addy's daddy

Postby concreterose » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:56 pm

Be careful with tuna fish, it has high levels of mercury, which is bad for dogs. Instead of tuna, I give my dogs canned salmon (it's already cooked) and tuna fish. My girls all LOVE bananas, apples, and cherries(I just found out today!).

Also, I don't know if you're giving derm caps/fish oil, but our oncologist said stay away from omega-6 fatty acids, and just give omega-3. We give salmon oil instead of fish oil...it's better for them. And their coats are so soft and silky!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:15 pm

If you do plain yogurt, make sure the only ingredients are whole milk and bacteria/enzymes. Even 'plain' yogurt often has sweeteners, fillers and thickening agents - that's why I make my own!!!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Demo Dick » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:54 pm

Concreterose, salmon and tuna have both been reported as having high levels of mercury. The bigger the fish, the more potential for contamination. Though it's probably not something to worry about as the science types at the FDA are largely pretty clueless. They still tell me that red meat will kill me.

"Don't eat no RED meat? How 'bout don't eat no GREEN meat, okay?"
-Chris Rock

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby concreterose » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:09 pm

Even 'plain' yogurt often has sweeteners, fillers and thickening agents - that's why I make my own!!!

Share the recipe :))
Concreterose, salmon and tuna have both been reported as having high levels of mercury. The bigger the fish, the more potential for contamination.

CRAP!!! You're right, you can't eat nothin' nomore :crybaby:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby chewalotopus » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:44 am

flax seed oil is good for the skin & coat & we also do plain Kefir instead of yogurt. (It's in the dairy case near the yogurt & milk, but in plastic bottles - it's like liquid yogurt.)

Bananas, pears, apples, carrots, blueberries are all good for them & they like 'em, too! Just NO GRAPES (or raisins, of course)!
chewalotopus

Postby barbponys » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:41 am

Fruit is good as a treat, mine get it when we are eating it. Carrots, unless you intend to use them as a chew treat, need to be ground. They can't digest them if they are fed whole. If you use them as a chew treat expect to see it come out the other end :). Eggs are a great supplement to the diet, it's the perfect food and has everything they need in them. Be careful how many you give her, 1 a day is fine, raw is best. I mix one 3 times a week in with Garions breakfast.
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues