B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:03 am

Chea! I looooooove your new avatar! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby cheekymunkee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 am

I THINK it may be because even though the % is higher for the cocker, since his body weight is less the amount of food would be less. A 50 pound dog at 3% is 1.5 x 16 ounces would be 24 ounces of food. Wheras a 20 pound dog at 3% is .60 x 16 would be 9.6 ounces.

Debby
cheekymunkee

Postby RescueRules » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:00 am

satanscheerleader wrote:
RescueRules wrote:
satanscheerleader wrote:Wouldn't it be wicked to have a grinder. Just throw the whole carcass in there.... bones, organs, everything and dish out a suitable amount for each pup. I would think that would be fairly balanced meat, bone and organ wise. I wonder how much a grinder goes for?

Grinders that can do bone need to be good quality and are of course very expensive. There's a butcher on 176th who does raw food (exactly what you mentioned, bones, organs etc all ground up) very very reasonable. He's been doing it for years.

I remember you posting that you don't have a freezer so that makes it difficult to buy bulk.

Is that 176th in Surrey?

Yup...Surrey Meat Packers.
RescueRules

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:50 am

cheekymunkee wrote:I THINK it may be because even though the % is higher for the cocker, since his body weight is less the amount of food would be less. A 50 pound dog at 3% is 1.5 x 16 ounces would be 24 ounces of food. Wheras a 20 pound dog at 3% is .60 x 16 would be 9.6 ounces.

Debby

Ok Debby,
I guess I'm just too challenged cuz 3% is 3% regardless of weight? It's still a per pound body weight calculation........ So I still think that if I fed my pug 3% he would be morbidly obese.........
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:57 am

From Dr Billinghurst's BARF site:
http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet.shtml

How much should I feed my adult dog?
Adult dogs can be fed between 2-3% of the their body weight. We recommend starting with 1/2 pound of food per 25 lbs of body weight daily and make adjustments according to your dog's age and activity. Remember that a healthy dog is not overweight.

I think 1/2 pound per 25 pounds of dog pretty much jives with what everyone has said, and it seems like a good starting point to me. :dunno:
tjbsandy

Postby cheekymunkee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:00 pm

barbponys wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:I THINK it may be because even though the % is higher for the cocker, since his body weight is less the amount of food would be less. A 50 pound dog at 3% is 1.5 x 16 ounces would be 24 ounces of food. Wheras a 20 pound dog at 3% is .60 x 16 would be 9.6 ounces.

Debby

Ok Debby,
I guess I'm just too challenged cuz 3% is 3% regardless of weight? It's still a per pound body weight calculation........ So I still think that if I fed my pug 3% he would be morbidly obese.........

But it isn't it a percentage of weight? In that case the percentage would be the same but the amount would differ. 3% of a larger number is going to be a bigger amount than 3% of a smaller amount. Sorry, it is the cost accountant in me talking, it is much easer for me to show you than to tell you so if you will just hop the next flight to Dallas this would be much easier! roflmao

Do the caluclations like so
50 pound dog:

50*.03=1.5 1.5*16=24

20 pound dog:

20*.03=.60 .60*16=9.6

Or maybe this makes more since 3% of a pound is larger than 3% of an ounce. Still 3% but the amount is going to be smaller because what you are dividing is smaller.

Debby
cheekymunkee

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:03 pm

Stop with all these numbers!!! roflmao

You are just confusing me!! It's the same thing, Pat. Debby is just showing off her math brain!!

Run away!!!! Run away!!!!!!
tjbsandy

Postby cheekymunkee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:08 pm

Ok, let't try this & then math class is over!!

Say Tara weighs 100 pounds. She went on a diet because she is bulimic & lost 10% of her body weight. That would equal 10 pounds. 100 *10%=10

Let's say I weigh 300 pounds and I lose 10 % of my body weight because I can't get in my car anymore to go to Taco Bell & they don't deliver. 10 % of 300 pounds is 30.

Now does it make sense?? roflmao roflmao

Debby
cheekymunkee

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Oh, my pounding head............ lol .
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby cheekymunkee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:14 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:yeah, but youre bigger, so you get more food... right?
i'm still so confused :oops:

Yes, as far as the dogs are concerned the bigger dog would get more food because he weighs more than the smaller one. His 3% would be bigger than the smaller dog's 3%.

Debby
cheekymunkee

Postby blover27 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:20 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
adoptAshelterPit wrote:yeah, but youre bigger, so you get more food... right?
i'm still so confused :oops:

Yes, as far as the dogs are concerned the bigger dog would get more food because he weighs more than the smaller one. His 3% would be bigger than the smaller dog's 3%.

Debby
makes perfect sense to me and i'm not the brightest bulb in the shed...
blover27

Postby cheekymunkee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Ok, I lied....one more lesson. This time with money. There is a sale at Macy's. 3% off of everything in the store. You spot a dress you are dying to have. It is $100, you take 3% of that & the saving would be $3.00. The shoes to match are $50, 3% off of that amount would be $1.50. The percentage is still 3% but since one number is bigger that percentage is bigger. Percentages are pretty confusing.

Debby
cheekymunkee

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:25 pm

Didn't I tell you to stop? 8l

Hey Brad! Boobies!!!!!
Now how much sense does it make?
tjbsandy

Postby blover27 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:26 pm

tjbsandy wrote:Didn't I tell you to stop? 8l

Hey Brad! Boobies!!!!!
Now how much sense does it make?

weeeeeeeeeeee boobies :yay: what were we talking about again????hehehe boobies :nana:
blover27

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:29 pm

lol :thumbsup:
tjbsandy

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues