Alleged Worms in Poo !!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Alleged Worms in Poo !!

Postby Skeptik » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:32 pm

When I got home from work today, my roomate's girlfriend (who lets Keiko out of her crate periodically while I'm at work) said she saw worms in her poo. :sad: OMG this really freaks me out. I'm obviously worried, I just gave her the first dose of Heartgard plus (sample from vet) yesterday! And Keiko is 2 months old.

Just a bit ago she pooped twice (big ones) and I examined the poo. I couldn't find a single trace of worms. I'm going to schedule to see the vet Saturday morning. Poor Keiko.

Sorry, but I just needed to vent some of my anxieties
Skeptik

Postby kendall » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:42 pm

We thought we found a worm in Levi's poo once.... turned out he had managed to eat a couple elastic bands. :roll: Dumb dog.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kazuo » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:03 pm

Could it just be the Heartgard doing it's job ? I thought it was normal to see worms pass in a pup's poo after being given a dewormer.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby elegy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:40 pm

if you're really worried about it, your best bet would be to take a poop sample to the vet to have it tested for parasites.

from heargard's site:
HEARTGARD Plus also treats and controls hookworms and roundworms-

there are also tape worms and whip worms (and other nasties). heartgard is not really meant to treat intestinal parasites. if your pooch does have worms, you need an actual dewormer to really do the job.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Skeptik » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:25 pm

elegy wrote:if you're really worried about it, your best bet would be to take a poop sample to the vet to have it tested for parasites.

They tested her poop 3 weeks ago, when she was in for her first set of shots. I'll take in another sample this weekend and have them run it again. They only charged like $10, so I'm sure it's worth it.
Skeptik

Postby concreterose » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:48 pm

It's common for pups to have worms. All my dogs have had them come out when I first got them dewormed as pups.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 pm

When dogs are dewormed they poop out the dead ones. Heartguard kills a few different types of worms, so that may be the source.

I know you have to check immediately upon exit, as the worms move pretty quickly once they are out in the air.

gross....

Michelle
mnp13

Postby pocketpit » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:57 pm

As stated before it's very common for puppies to have worms and they typically need to be dewormed a couple of times. After dewormng it's not uncommon for them to pass dead worms in the feces. A stool sample doesn't always show up positive even if they have worms. If they're not in the part of their life cycle where they are passing eggs it won't show up. Also factor in that the vet is looking at such a small portion of the stool and you can see why stool samples come back negative. Having another sample tested is a good idea so the vet can give you a positive i.d. on the worm. Most likely it's roundworms, but it could be something else so better safe than sorry.
pocketpit

Postby Skeptik » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:17 pm

Well, I took her in Saturday morning. They tested her fecal sample and found only one egg for roundworms. She said it was nothing to worry about and they gave her some dewormer.

whew, now I feel much better :)
Skeptik

Re: Alleged Worms in Poo !!

Postby Kyton88 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:38 am

Skeptik wrote:When I got home from work today, my roomate's girlfriend said she saw worms in her poo.

Man, I freaked out when I first read that. I would be extremely worried if a human was passing those worms. Phew...just your dog. They have plenty of pills for that (which I like to crush into power and mix with the food).

Nelli was given two different dewormers. Apparently, whipworm has a nasty breeding cycle that had Nelli taking an initial dose, one 2 weeks later, and one 3 months later. And apparently once a dog poops in your yard, these whipworms can live in the ground - putting Nelli on an endless cycle of preventive medicine (once every three months isn't so bad).
Kyton88

Postby blover27 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:40 am

Man, I freaked out when I first read that. I would be extremely worried if a human was passing those worms. Phew...just your dog. They have plenty of pills for that (which I like to crush into power and mix with the food).

I found that extremely funny...i have issues lol
blover27

Return to Health Issues