classic hello I'm new intro...

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

classic hello I'm new intro...

Postby hookilau » Tue May 03, 2005 10:39 am

again, hello...new to the forum but have been reading all weekend, eager to post! Something that I just figured out: check your bulk mail folder if you have spam filters on your e-mail. My e-mail notification got caught in there.:roll:

It's just as well, I like the fact that the moderators rigged it so that you have to wait for a bit before posting...gives you a bit of time to get a feel for the board community and it's accepted societal rules and morays.

I've also been searching pit friendly boards and I have to say this one seems to have the largest variety of articulate individuals I've seen. I am impressed with the emphasis on rescue work in many posts and had a great time reading of all the antics, as well as trails and tribulations that makes owning a doggie like this worthwhile.

About me, us actually. My first Pit Bull was a rescue found on the Whitestone Expwy in NY. He was hit by a car and brought in to our animal hospital where I worked, I was 24. He was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen and his stoicism intrigued me...long story short, guy who rescued had unaltered male at home, my Tank (as we came to know him) was also unaltered. You guessed it, took about 2 days,a broken arm and several stitches later, he was mine.

We didn't have much reliable intelligent information back then other than the slowly rising tide of hysteria about Pits, you have to remember that this was before we were as computer savy as you young'uns are these days. From what I've read on the forum over the weekend, I was surprised to learn that we've done very well for ourselves over the last 13 years having had to figure out all the basics you already know and employ.

It's nice to stick my head over the back fence and find 'neighbors' happy to hear I own pits and regard them the way I do...with affection, compassion, respect and a firm hand as to what's acceptable for a dog in a people populated society.

Well, that's my story....I'm off to read more posts to glean as much info as I can, we have a new pup and there's much to learn. :hi
hookilau

Postby moochesmama » Tue May 03, 2005 10:54 am

:welcome:
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby hookilau » Tue May 03, 2005 10:58 am

thanks! :)

I'm off to find out how to post a pic of our pup, resizing is proving to be quite an education for me! 8) [/img]
hookilau

grimmy's dogster page...

Postby hookilau » Tue May 03, 2005 11:03 am

till i figure out how to post pics...you can see pics of my little Grimmy here...

www.dogster.com/?144846 :))
hookilau

Postby ripley6 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:07 am

:hi :welcome:

Wow! Great intro, "neighbor"! So how many do you have now?

So is that as in, "We are going to the hookilau, the hooki, hooki, hooki, hookilau"? Maybe only other old geezers remember that one . . . lol
ripley6
Forum Junky

heh heh!

Postby hookilau » Tue May 03, 2005 11:15 am

thanks!

8) That'll be me!...for as I live and breathe, this ol geezer surely remembers the tune lol

It's actually spelled hukilau but I've taken liberties as it's also a throwback from when I was young. I'm from the West Indies so my the word was peculiar to our vernacular.
hookilau

Postby ripley6 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:21 am

Ahh! That explains "mum and da" on your dogster page lol

My mother was Mum, one of my dogs is Pippa - :tongue:
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Boo439 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:39 am

Welcome to the board!! That was a great intro! I'm sending a Dogster pup pals request on behalf of my crew. :)
Boo439

Postby hookilau » Tue May 03, 2005 11:44 am

We have a total of 4 dogs now, all rescues. Youngest first would be

Grim 8wks APBT X (i suspect)
Monster 1 yr Min Pin
Willow 8yr old Border Collie X
Tank 13+ yr old Am Staff

They all get along really well too! We recently lost our Pony, a german shorthair pointer (rescue) to a catastrophic event due probably to her age. :sad:

She was 15+ and we realize now that though we knew she led the other dogs in a fashion, she was the instigator to most of the undesirable behaviours we noted with Tank. We got them both as adults and Pony's mischievous antics led Tank down a path that meant *close* monitoring of their activities. Seperated, they were good doggies, together there was hell to pay!
lol

To this end, they have always been leash walked and obedience training of the utmost importance. Though our household will never be the same without Pony and we miss her dearly, I realize now how calm and undestructive Tank truly is. Seems we underestimated their dependance on each other as well as how their personalities played off each other.

The one thing that sticks out the most for me is how much of Tank's personality is classic Staffie....we thought it was just HIM! He is old now and has been diagnosed with a mast cell tumor that resulted in removal,but came back grade III

In addition, he lost his spleen due to necrosis all in the last 6 months, we are preparing for the worst but hoping for the best as it seems my loyal friend's days are numbered.

I can't complain though....in all the years he's been with us, he's never had to be hospitalized or treated for any ailment whatsoever, for this, we are most thankful and enjoy every day we have together.
hookilau

Postby Big Papa » Tue May 03, 2005 11:59 am

welcome you can stay :thumbsup:
Big Papa

Postby hookilau » Tue May 03, 2005 12:31 pm

aww shucks...thanks :))

and Boo, your Toda looks very much like my Tank, you've some real beauties there. Thanks for the link! I'm off to work now but I'll be sure to stop in when I get home. I work 3-11 and it's my habit to have a snack and a late night prowl about to wind down after work.

I hope to complete dogster pages for the rest of my brood sometime this week, I absolutely lurv to look at pictures!
hookilau

Postby voodoopitbull » Tue May 03, 2005 12:33 pm

:hi
voodoopitbull

Postby Astah » Tue May 03, 2005 1:06 pm

O what a fantastic intro, i like you already :) Oh and Grim has another request for a friend!

Big welcome :hi

Asa and Guinness
Astah
Super Bully

Postby AvidPitbull » Tue May 03, 2005 2:03 pm

I too being new welcomes you :)
AvidPitbull

Postby Pitt-terra » Tue May 03, 2005 3:49 pm

:welcome:
Pitt-terra

Next

Return to Introductions