Question about Nutro

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Question about Nutro

Postby shella677 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:33 am

I just bought Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice for my pooches. I will be weining them off their old food within the next week or so. But my question is should I have bought the Natural Choice for Large Breeds? It says its for breeds over 50 lbs, and Ace is now 49lbs (since hes gotten sick, he was 51) and my rottie comes in at a big 94 lbs. So I def. should have Lexus on LargeBreed but I hate buying 2 diff. bags of 40 pounders. So what should I do? I haven't opened the bag yet so I always could return it and get the other.
shella677

Postby barbponys » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:34 am

Don't get large breed. It's not necessary to feed either of them a large breed food, it was designed for Danes, Wolf hounds and mastiffs soooo. Pits don't fall in the category of large breed and Rotts??? They aren't suppose to be 100# monsters either. If it's older than a year regular food is fine.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby chalkline » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:29 am

If you want to feed them the Nutro might I suggest the Nutro Ultra. It is a little bit more expensive but IMO it is worth it because it has alot better ingredients in it. It also has more nutrients, vitamins and minerals, even glucosamine chondroitin (sp) which helps the hips and joints. I had Milenko on the Nutro Ultra puppy until I just recently switched to the Canidae and he did very well on it. Just a suggestion though. As far as the Large Breed Nutro I would have to say no go. My friend is currently feeding it to her pit and while it isnt hurting anything, it probably isnt helping anything either. I have been trying to get her to switch but she thinks that it will build big muscles since it is for "large" breed dogs (dummy!)
chalkline

Postby barbponys » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:58 am

The Nutro Ultra reads barely better than the regular. You pay a premium price for a pretty crappy food all around. You would be better moving to Natures Variety,Canidae, Natural Balance, Simply Natural..........they will cost more but are much better foods for the money. The pooches tend to like them and look better. And you WILL feed less. They just perform better all around.

They over supplement pet foods to begin with.......when they add "more" it's over kill. They all basically use the same vit/min break down, there are different names for some so they read different but they have mandatory requirements based on AAFCO regulations. The addition of glucosamine and chondroitin is of questionable value since the source is questionable. They charge an arm and a leg as soon either are added to an ingredient list. If that's a selling point for you or your dog you are better off buying pharmacutical grade and giving it yourself. It isn't cheap but at least you KNOW how much they are getting. It's usually much more effective that way too. JMO.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby shella677 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:27 am

barbponys wrote:The Nutro Ultra reads barely better than the regular. You pay a premium price for a pretty crappy food all around. You would be better moving to Natures Variety,Canidae, Natural Balance, Simply Natural .

I've tried looking for those foods, but couldnt find any in my area
shella677

Postby mnp13 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:49 am

Most of the high end dog food companies have a list of retailers on their websites.

I feed Royal Canin Natural Select, it's available at PetSmart. I had the best results from Innova's Holistic line of food, but I no longer patronize the only retailer in my area who carries it, and the Royal Canin was almost the same quality.

As for 'large breed' vs. 'medium breed' food, check the label. If the percentages of nutrients are about the same then you're fine. The poundages listed are averages. I think most people consider under 75 pounds to be 'medium'

Michelle
mnp13

Postby chalkline » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:10 am

The Nutro Ultra reads barely better than the regular. You pay a premium price for a pretty crappy food all around. You would be better moving to Natures Variety,Canidae, Natural Balance, Simply Natural

Dont get me wrong, I totally agree there. I was just saying if Shella wanted to stick with the Nutro brand then I would feed the Ultra IMO. I feed my dogs Canidae and I would never switch back.

Shella if you do decide to stick with the NUTRO, here is a list of the Large breed and Ultra ingredients. You get more meat sources with the Ultra and dont have as many of the grain fillers, that is why I personally would pick the Ultra

NUTRO Large Breed Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Bran, Dried Beet Pulp, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganese Proteinate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

NUTRO Ultra Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of Linoleic Acid), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of Linoleic Acid), Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA), Flaxseed (natural source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid), Natural Flavors, Oatmeal, Alfalfa (natural source of Chlorophyll), Beet Pulp, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Cranberry, Fish Oil (natural source of DHA), Dried Egg Product, L-Lysine, Kelp (natural source of Iodine), Taurine, Bacillus Lichenformis Fermentation Extract, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, L-Carnitine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Garlic (natural source of Selenium), Marigold Extract (natural source of Lutein).
chalkline

Return to Health Issues