Brush and Soap Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Brush and Soap Question

Postby Fish » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:04 am

What kind of a brush and shampoo should I buy, for my future pup. I still havent gotten pup yet, cry cry. Will be getting in september I hope, boy its hard to wait.lol
Fish

Postby Anshey » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:28 am

I never use shampoo on my dogs. I use a houndsglove( i think that is what it is called) to brush them with and remove dirt, ect. Then I rinse them very well with warm water. Once they are towel dried I use a good doggie conditioning spray( Nova Pearls is the brand I use). Then I brush them again. I do this about once every two weeks and brush them everyday and they smell good, look good, and they never shed. Shampoo seems to irritate and dry their skin no matter what kind I use. If I have to use a shampoo I use Johnsons baby shampoo diluted.
Anshey

Postby mydogroxy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:31 am

right now i use some crappy brush that doesn't work well. i'm going to buy a rubber curry brush though because i heard those work well. as for shampoo, i use johnsons baby shampoo. a lot of people don't like to use people shampoo on dogs because it may irritate the skin, but i've had nothing but good results.
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:35 am

i very rarely bathe luce but when i do i use etiderm dog shampoo. it's easy on the skin.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby pitbulliest » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:21 am

I give my dogs a bath about once a month...their coats are shiny and clean... I would suggest an oatmeal based shampoo that does not dry out the skin and is great for sensitive dogs that may have allergies...

I use "Sadie's Choice - Oat Shampoo for Pets"

If you bathe your dog once a month, there's no need to brush them. In fact if I brush my pit, her skin gets bumpy and she gets itchy..so I've never done it since and she's fine.

If you have a border collie or a maltese..then you might wanna get a good brush :))
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Fish » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:52 pm

Boder Collie, Maltese, I will be getting a Pit, anything else is, well, just a bisket eater.LOL
Fish

Postby barbponys » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:20 pm

When I bath, which is rarely, I use a Earthbath brand shampoo and heavily dilute it. I use a ZoomGroom which is designed after a horse brush, a rubber curry with long teeth that grab the loose hair. You end up with most of the hair on the brush not around you. I still brush the kids outside though :).
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby deuce69 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:31 pm

i use johnson and johnson no more tears... easy on the eyes
deuce69
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues