Hello!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello!

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 2:08 pm

My name is Brent and I'll be 25 this month. I'm located in Warner Robins Ga. and joined this site to get info on Pit Bulls.
Don Goose

Postby angel_1526 » Mon May 16, 2005 2:10 pm

:welcome:
angel_1526

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 2:11 pm

angel_1526 wrote::welcome:

Thanks 8)
Don Goose

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Mon May 16, 2005 2:13 pm

:welcome: Are you looking to adopt a new family member???
Jo-RavensMommy

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 2:14 pm

Jo-RavensMommy wrote::welcome: Are you looking to adopt a new family member???

Yeah, this girl that I work with has a 13 week old pup she's looking to get rid of. She's a pretty dog. Black with white on her chest and paws.
Don Goose

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Mon May 16, 2005 2:31 pm

Awe, so she looks like my Raven , lol. Can't argue with that :inlove: Good luck you are in for such a ride, lol. They are so fun, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into, lol. time, time, time that's all I have to say, they require alot of time, attention and positive direction. But the good part is you will never ever again be bored. :peace:
Jo-RavensMommy

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 2:34 pm

Jo-RavensMommy wrote:Awe, so she looks like my Raven , lol. Can't argue with that :inlove: Good luck you are in for such a ride, lol. They are so fun, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into, lol. time, time, time that's all I have to say, they require alot of time, attention and positive direction. But the good part is you will never ever again be bored. :peace:

Yeah my wife and I had a baby boy pass away last year due to S.I.D.S. and she's really paranoid (can you blame her) about everything that might hurt our 3 year old. So I'm trying to learn about as much as I can about the way pits interact with kids and such.

P.S.
She looks identical to your dog! :))
Don Goose

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Mon May 16, 2005 2:43 pm

OMG I am so sorry to hear that. There is actually a thread in here about a dog which just suffocated a 1 mo. old baby. I don't mean to scare you but it did happen, the whole stroy is not htere so I can't really speculate, but I can say it is the first of it's kin that I have heard, I have heard that of cats though. But apparently the mother has her 1 mo. old on the couch at %am with the dog and she went and was in the kitchen, I would imagiine she would of had to be in there for awhile for the dog to be ontop long enought o suffocate, now by awhile I mean way too long for a 1 mo old and any animanl to be left alone together. I have foudn that Pitbulls are great with children, if you get a chnce to browse thjrough the gallery section you will find many pics of pitts with ther children, lol. I knwo Raven does not live in a household with any kids, and was only recently introduced to kids and she is GREAT, she will take her toys to htem and she acts so different with kids then she does adults, she much more calm as if she knows she has to be gentle and she is very protective of kids, even though we don't have any she sees our friends kids alot. We actually had an event on Sat. we went to and brought a friends 6 year old daughter and she was (the littel girl) was running in the woods and I noticed Raven start gettign very finicky she didn't wanto sit still and she was just staring into the trees it was then that I noticed our friends daughter had walked behind the trees and you couldn't see her for a few minutes and Raven did not liek that as soon as the girl came backinto sight Raven was fine, lol. But once again, I wouldn't leave her alone with kids or any pets for that matter, I am a bit morelenient with the older kids, but I have a 2 month old God daughter and so far raven likes to just sit and lick her feet, and I trust my girl don't get me wrong, but I still would never leave them alone. But I h ave heard of more say Pomeranian attacks on kids then pitbulls, only unfortunatly it seems like the pitbulls make the 5 o'clock news.
Jo-RavensMommy

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Mon May 16, 2005 2:45 pm

Sorry apparently I can not spell today (or any other, lol) My mind goes faster then my fingers. roflmao
Jo-RavensMommy

Postby Boo439 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:12 pm

Welcome to the board!! Am I am profoundly sorry for the loss of your baby. :( I can totally understand your wife's concerns. There is a lot of useful information on this site about pit bull behavior. Can you tell us more about the situation with this girl's puppy? Did she have a litter and this is a leftover? If so, does she plan on spaying the mother so she doesn't bring more puppies into this world that she may have a hard time finding homes for? If not, how did she acquire this puppy.

You should have some background information on this puppy if at all possible to know what kind of temperment the puppy may have. If this girl bred 2 dogs with less than perfect temperments, those traits can be passed onto the puppy. I also wouldn't recommend supporting her breeding efforts by taking one of her puppies.

If she bought this puppy from a breeder and can no longer care for it, maybe you could ask her which breeder she got the puppy from and contact them yourself. They may even let you meet the parents if they have them on the premesis. If she adopted the puppy from the humane society or SPCA, ask her for the paperwork that came with the puppy.

All of that aside, I would actually recommend going to a rescue and getting a pup from it. The chances of knowing what the pup's temperment whether that girl got her puppy from a breeder or if you got a pup from a rescue are about the same. At least if you go through a rescue, you are saving a pup's life and you are not supporting a BYB.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I hope you'll post pics of whatever puppy or dog you and your family decide on. :thumbsup:
Boo439

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:14 pm

I agree ^ !! I didn't really want to get into what you know about this dog, because I have seen too many ppl get offended that way, but I agree I would def. check into whatever info. you can get on the dog, the mother, etc. If necessary def. look into rescue (my 1st choise anyway)!!
Jo-RavensMommy

Postby angel_1526 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Pit bulls are great family companions. I have 2 and could not ask for better pets. I don't have any kids of my own but my bf has a big family and kids are always coming over to play. We just always make sure we are supervising if they are with the dogs. But that just seems like common sense, right?

Just keep in mind they need lots of exercise and it doesn't hurt to get them some good obedience training. Suprisingly, the PetsMart training we used for our dogs was pretty good. Just something to think about! Let us know if you have questions!!!
angel_1526

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 3:24 pm

Boo439 wrote:Welcome to the board!! Am I am profoundly sorry for the loss of your baby. :( I can totally understand your wife's concerns. There is a lot of useful information on this site about pit bull behavior. Can you tell us more about the situation with this girl's puppy? Did she have a litter and this is a leftover? If so, does she plan on spaying the mother so she doesn't bring more puppies into this world that she may have a hard time finding homes for? If not, how did she acquire this puppy.

You should have some background information on this puppy if at all possible to know what kind of temperment the puppy may have. If this girl bred 2 dogs with less than perfect temperments, those traits can be passed onto the puppy. I also wouldn't recommend supporting her breeding efforts by taking one of her puppies.

If she bought this puppy from a breeder and can no longer care for it, maybe you could ask her which breeder she got the puppy from and contact them yourself. They may even let you meet the parents if they have them on the premesis. If she adopted the puppy from the humane society or SPCA, ask her for the paperwork that came with the puppy.

All of that aside, I would actually recommend going to a rescue and getting a pup from it. The chances of knowing what the pup's temperment whether that girl got her puppy from a breeder or if you got a pup from a rescue are about the same. At least if you go through a rescue, you are saving a pup's life and you are not supporting a BYB.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I hope you'll post pics of whatever puppy or dog you and your family decide on. :thumbsup:

She has two pups left from a litter. I didn't ask how many litters or anything. SHe has 3 other adult pits and they seemed to have good temperments but I didn't spend that much time with them. What exactly should I look for? Also what does BYB stand for?
Don Goose

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 3:26 pm

angel_1526 wrote:Pit bulls are great family companions. I have 2 and could not ask for better pets. I don't have any kids of my own but my bf has a big family and kids are always coming over to play. We just always make sure we are supervising if they are with the dogs. But that just seems like common sense, right?

Just keep in mind they need lots of exercise and it doesn't hurt to get them some good obedience training. Suprisingly, the PetsMart training we used for our dogs was pretty good. Just something to think about! Let us know if you have questions!!!

How much was the obedience training through pets mart?
Don Goose

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:31 pm

You didn't ask me but here's my 2 cents, lol. I'm not sure exactly, but I do know that PetSmart was one of the cheapest, you could also check with your local Humane Society.
Jo-RavensMommy

Next

Return to Introductions