Hello!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Postby angel_1526 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:48 pm

[/quote]How much was the obedience training through pets mart?[/quote]

We took Angel to Puppy Training and went through 2 other courses all the way to the "Advanced" course. If anything, she learned some good commands and got to be around several other dogs.

Our other pit, Simba, only went to Puppy training. This helped him a lot b/c he got to be around other dogs. We rescued him at 5 weeks old so he needed lots of socialization. Our local vet also offers Puppy Daycare where dogs play together in a fenced area and are supervised by one of the vet techs. This also helped Simba!
angel_1526

Postby Boo439 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Don Goose wrote:She has two pups left from a litter. I didn't ask how many litters or anything. SHe has 3 other adult pits and they seemed to have good temperments but I didn't spend that much time with them. What exactly should I look for? Also what does BYB stand for?

Gosh... are you dead-set on getting a puppy? I think with having a small child, your best bet would be to rescue an adult. That way you know what the dog's temperment is like. Many rescues and shelters will do a temperment test. They do a bunch of tests with the dog before putting them up for adoption. There are people here who know the specifics better than me.

BYB stands for Back Yard Breeder. BYB's are one of the things that are killing our beloved breed. By supporting them, one lets them know that they can keep breeding and making money. They put out un-titled, un-health tested puppies while puppies and adults die in the shelter. The pit bulls you see in a shelter are usually the result of a BYB. They don't take responsibility for their actions. By buying or even just taking a pup from a BYB, that gives them the idea to breed again and again and again.

Please consider a rescue adult instead of taking this girl's puppy. Try http://www.pbrc.net or http://www.petfinder.com I generally don't really push this issue with new members, but because of the misfortune with your lost son and your wife's well-founded concerns, I think that you guys would be most comfortable with an adult dog that has been temperment tested and known to be wonderful with children. That way you won't have to find out the hard way that your new pup has grown into a dog with a horrible temperment.
Boo439

Postby angel_1526 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Don Goose wrote:
angel_1526 wrote:Pit bulls are great family companions. I have 2 and could not ask for better pets. I don't have any kids of my own but my bf has a big family and kids are always coming over to play. We just always make sure we are supervising if they are with the dogs. But that just seems like common sense, right?

Just keep in mind they need lots of exercise and it doesn't hurt to get them some good obedience training. Suprisingly, the PetsMart training we used for our dogs was pretty good. Just something to think about! Let us know if you have questions!!!

How much was the obedience training through pets mart?

Oops...I read your question incorrectly...I'm an idiot today! Anyway to actually answer your question...I believe each class was $99 for 8 weeks. Not too bad.
angel_1526

Postby Don Goose » Mon May 16, 2005 4:38 pm

Boo439 wrote:
Don Goose wrote:She has two pups left from a litter. I didn't ask how many litters or anything. SHe has 3 other adult pits and they seemed to have good temperments but I didn't spend that much time with them. What exactly should I look for? Also what does BYB stand for?

Gosh... are you dead-set on getting a puppy? I think with having a small child, your best bet would be to rescue an adult. That way you know what the dog's temperment is like. Many rescues and shelters will do a temperment test. They do a bunch of tests with the dog before putting them up for adoption. There are people here who know the specifics better than me.

BYB stands for Back Yard Breeder. BYB's are one of the things that are killing our beloved breed. By supporting them, one lets them know that they can keep breeding and making money. They put out un-titled, un-health tested puppies while puppies and adults die in the shelter. The pit bulls you see in a shelter are usually the result of a BYB. They don't take responsibility for their actions. By buying or even just taking a pup from a BYB, that gives them the idea to breed again and again and again.

Please consider a rescue adult instead of taking this girl's puppy. Try http://www.pbrc.net or http://www.petfinder.com I generally don't really push this issue with new members, but because of the misfortune with your lost son and your wife's well-founded concerns, I think that you guys would be most comfortable with an adult dog that has been temperment tested and known to be wonderful with children. That way you won't have to find out the hard way that your new pup has grown into a dog with a horrible temperment.

Evcen though she passed this test with flying colors?

http://www.pbrc.net/temperament.html

Wanted a puppy because I've heard that its better for a dog to grow up with a child than it is for an older dog to get use to a child.
Don Goose

Postby Boo439 » Mon May 16, 2005 5:44 pm

Don Goose wrote:Evcen though she passed this test with flying colors?

Wanted a puppy because I've heard that its better for a dog to grow up with a child than it is for an older dog to get use to a child.

I don't think that you specified that the pup passed a temperment test. If you did, I'm sorry that I missed it. I mean, no one can tell you where to get a puppy or a dog from, but I was just giving my opinion on the matter. It seems like you are going to take this puppy from the girl, so good luck to you and your family.
Boo439

Postby Kaytlin » Mon May 16, 2005 6:40 pm

:welcome:
Kaytlin

Postby saturn2 » Mon May 16, 2005 7:25 pm

:welcome: to PBF!

~Sharon
saturn2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Don Goose » Tue May 17, 2005 8:29 am

Boo439 wrote:
Don Goose wrote:Evcen though she passed this test with flying colors?

I don't think that you specified that the pup passed a temperment test. If you did, I'm sorry that I missed it. I mean, no one can tell you where to get a puppy or a dog from, but I was just giving my opinion on the matter. It seems like you are going to take this puppy from the girl, so good luck to you and your family.

I ment to say she passed the temperment test, sorry!
Don Goose

Postby Boo439 » Tue May 17, 2005 12:06 pm

The mother of the girl's pup passed a temperment test?
Boo439

Postby Contessa63 » Tue May 24, 2005 12:52 am

Welcome to the forum! :)
Contessa63
Bully Ambassador

Previous

Return to Introductions