My turn - checking in from Wisconsin

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

My turn - checking in from Wisconsin

Postby LittleLady » Tue May 17, 2005 9:32 am

Hello to all. I'm a 27y/o married mother of 2. I work from home and love all animals. I became an advocate of this great breed about 3 years ago after losing my 3rd Rottweiler to hip displaysia. Unfortunately, my first experience with this breed was also very bitter sweet...I got a beautiful Am Staff from a reputable breeder with a great reputation and dogs with titles. He was...the perfect house pet who loved going on 5+ mile walks with me, a great specimen of the breed, a wonderful companion for my kids, an all around great dog who really, really didn't want to share us with anyone. Thru socialization as a puppy to obedience classes to behaviorists specializing in the breed, with each step forward we took 2 or more steps back. It came to the point where I could no longer deny he just wasn't a stable dog. It was recommended to me that I come over here and I'm so glad I did. I'll just hang out & read as much as I can for now, and whenever I have another dog I'll be sure to inundate you all with questions, concerns, pictures, etc.
LittleLady
Newborn Bully

Postby angel_1526 » Tue May 17, 2005 9:33 am

:welcome:

I work from home too!
angel_1526

Postby Boo439 » Tue May 17, 2005 9:49 am

Welcome to the board!
Boo439

Postby Taz » Tue May 17, 2005 11:12 am

:welcome:
Taz

Postby Jo-RavensMommy » Tue May 17, 2005 11:53 am

:peace: welcome!!
Jo-RavensMommy

Postby pitbullgrl » Tue May 17, 2005 12:06 pm

:welcome: :doggie:
pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby ripley6 » Tue May 17, 2005 12:28 pm

:hi Welcome!

Do you mind telling us what happened? So sad -
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby mypitmika » Tue May 17, 2005 1:48 pm

Welcome! :hi
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby moochesmama » Tue May 17, 2005 4:58 pm

Welcome! Sorry to here about your first dog, but I'm glad you're here for some support and learning.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby SFBullyGirl » Tue May 17, 2005 5:07 pm

welcome and glad you came :thumbsup:
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Contessa63 » Wed May 18, 2005 12:44 am

:) Hello!
Contessa63
Bully Ambassador

What happened was...

Postby LittleLady » Wed May 18, 2005 11:14 am

ripley6 wrote::hi Welcome!

Do you mind telling us what happened? So sad -

I guess I don't mind telling, though it may require a new thread or maybe it'll have to be moved & in either case I don't know how to do that. I was more naive about the breed than I thought, I researched what I thought to be a fair amount before getting him, found the breeder that I thought had what was right for me. We co-own, contract, he stays in-tact till age of 2 at which point we x-ray hips & then the breeder gets collections & I can have him neutered. Well right around turning 2 my boy who I socialized & took to puppy classes & always had around my kids, friends & family became quite protective/aggressive/threatening - seemingly over night. I figured he was just spoiled & I needed to get back to the basics so we started over w/training & got a behaviorist who helped me establish myself as the leader, etc. Dog aggression issues got more manageable but then he bit a friend of ours he'd known all his life. So we worked hard on having people come in, how guests should act & how dog was to respond, things got better but then one day while out in the yard he went after & bit a neighbor. Breeder wanted him put down but I thought that wasn't fair, that he could be "fixed". More 1 step forward, 2 steps back situations occurred and after living in denial for so long fear took over...I didn't want to give up on him & be "one of those people" who just threw in the towel but I was seriously at the point where I couldn't trust him. In my home, with my kids, etc. I have 100% trust in him. But there is so much more to life and being edgy all the time because I can't trust my dog just got to be too much. Dog is currently still alive, it was just last week that another incident led me to seek more advice and I just kept hearing the same thing over & over, now I need to wait for the strength to carry out the action. It's hard to know his fate when he's the perfect companion for me & my kids but he's bitten/threatened more times than any dog should be allowed.
LittleLady
Newborn Bully

Return to Introductions