Whiskey and Whiskey

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
whiskeypup
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:35 am
Location: Kansas

Whiskey and Whiskey

Postby whiskeypup » Mon May 23, 2005 12:41 am

I am curious about my dog liking liquor, she has always begged at my feet whenever i am drinking bourbon, whiskey or anything with rum in it, which is part of how she got the name whiskey.
:cheers:
one time a friend of mine left his bourbon and coke on the coffee table unattended and we came in from the kitchen to find whiskey, front paws up on the table slurping away at the almost empty glass.(which was full when he left the room)
She loves it, and i just wonder if it is bad for them to drink it. I mean i am not going to give her a whole glass or anything but every now and then i dip my fingers in the bourbon and let her lick it off or tip my beer bottle when it gets close to the bottom and let her finish it. But i dont wanna do it if it's bad for her. I don't see how it could hurt her, but i don't know, the effects of liquor on a dog could be different. :yucky:
anybody have any info on this?

happy_pitbull

Postby happy_pitbull » Mon May 23, 2005 12:55 am

Alcohol is not safe for dogs, and I would avoid giving them any. A lick here and there may not hurt them, but they may acquire a taste, and if they happen upon a large amount of strong liguor, they could easily get alcohol poisoning. The results can lead to death.

User avatar
who00knows
Matured Bully
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Not at your local off leash dog park during peak hours
Contact:

Postby who00knows » Mon May 23, 2005 7:05 am

I thought it was poisonous to them or something. I remember a year or so ago there was a thread about it.

User avatar
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10059
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:56 am
Location: west TX
Contact:

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon May 23, 2005 7:40 am

Yeah probably not a good idea. Loki sticks to grape juice. (Wait, aren't grapes dangerous for dogs, too? Yikes!)

User avatar
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin
Posts: 3263
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:58 am
Location: Spanaway, WA
Contact:

Postby Ariel Payopay » Mon May 23, 2005 7:46 am

bahamutt99 wrote:Yeah probably not a good idea. Loki sticks to grape juice. (Wait, aren't grapes dangerous for dogs, too? Yikes!)


They are??? Woops. :oops: What about strawberries?

User avatar
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10059
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:56 am
Location: west TX
Contact:

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon May 23, 2005 7:49 am

Ariel Payopay wrote:They are??? Woops. :oops: What about strawberries?


I haven't heard anything bad about the strawberries. But evidently grapes (and their dehydrated cousin, the raisin) are bad for dogs. Loki gets a few grapes because I feed her fruit cocktail from time to time, and she really digs the grape juice. It probably falls under the precaution "do not feed in excess." I mean, she gets garlic, too, which is also supposed to be bad for dogs.

(I wonder if there is anything that's 100% safe to feed your dog, LOL.)

User avatar
whiskeypup
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:35 am
Location: Kansas

Postby whiskeypup » Mon May 23, 2005 8:08 am

Great, grapes too! I'm a bad parent! :sad: Everytime i have grapes i give a few to whiskey.
It makes me wonder, if all this stuff is sooo bad for dogs how come there are lots of people that give their dogs this stuff and nothing happens. My brothers mini-schnauzer ate one of the big hershey bars one time, and he's fine. (they didn't give it to him he snuck it off the table)
I'm not saying that i am going to feed my puppy chocolate-covered grapes and a cocktail, but i'm just curious.
Is it one of those things like dont eat raw cookie dough, cause it has eggs in it? I have done that since i was a little kid, still do and never have gotten sick. Is it just a precautionary thing, or a real danger, like dont drink drano. :yucky:

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 am

A few grapes or raisins are not gonna hurt unless they ate a bunch then they are toxic. hehehe my English Bulldog Wally loves beer. If you have a can or a bottle he sits there panting away and trying to lick the can or bottle. He loves it. I dont give him a lot just a lick here and there and this is when there is beer in the house which may be once every couple months... Silly doggies! :roll:

K9Siren

Postby K9Siren » Mon May 23, 2005 8:46 am

My stupid brother left his beer on the floor and Sebastian got into it. After that, anytime someone has a beer, he goes nuts and tries to lick the bottle. Very embarrassing... my dog is an alchoholic :oops: roflmao

User avatar
ripley6
Forum Junky
Posts: 3376
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: Farmington, Missouri

Postby ripley6 » Mon May 23, 2005 10:52 am

We used to give our dogs grapes, too - :eek: We are SO lucky, but time will tell if our pups have long-term damage . . . . :sad:

From Suzanne Clothier's page and MUCH more information follows this excerpt):

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/raisins.html


SAVE DOG LIVES!!! PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION with ALL dog lovers you know as well as your veterinarian, groomer, pet sitter, classes, clubs, etc.

RAISINS & GRAPES Update

Based on report provided by VMRCVM Vet Notes

Animal Poison Control Center has documented multiple cases of grape and raisin poisoning in dogs within the last couple of years. Presumably, this has occurred in the past but attributed to other causes.

What Kind of Grapes & Raisins?

The source of the problem has been varied. Grapes of all varieties and growing conditions (including homegrown) have been implicated. Raisins are usually made from white seedless grapes, but all raisins of any source should be considered kidney toxic (chocolate covered raisins as well).


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests