Can you how big a dog will get by the size of his feet ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Can you how big a dog will get by the size of his feet ?

Postby Guyver » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:32 am

Here's a pic of Tank looking sad as he stands up on his rear legs and grabs the shelf outside below the kitchen window. Both he and his girlfriend Tasha now do this, cute as can be seeing them side by side. Anyway, I was just going to post the pic. However, it ocurred to me to ask everyone out there what they thought of judging a dog's grown size by his feet. Tank has a good size head and is now about 8 months old. Look at the snow shoes he has for feet! Is this any indication of how big he will get? He's already about 70 lbs. and muscling out rather well. For anyone that reads this and didn't know, he's a Pit Boxer Cross. ~Gene

Guyver

Postby chewalotopus » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:23 am

IMO, you can't tell jack from paw size...my girl Aiko has very dainty feet. Well, she IS pretty small, too, but her feet are small and round - unlike her brother's.

I found the following a long time ago on another forum, and my vet told me approximately the same thing:

It shows the approx month to percentage of total weight for puppies.
This chart is from, "Breeding a Litter" by Beth J. Finder Harris:

age (in mo).....Adult Wt. %

However, lots of people on this board will tell you that your dog is going to fill out more after he stops growing vertically, up to the age of about 18 months. My oldest is only 13 months now, so I couln't tell you otherwise...
chewalotopus

Postby concreterose » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:16 am

However, it ocurred to me to ask everyone out there what they thought of judging a dog's grown size by his feet.

We thought Vicki was going to be huge when she was younger...her feet have always been VERY big , with big thick pads. Well, she's just an average size for a female pit...40 pounds at 13 months. My other female has pretty big feet too...her build is more stocky like a bull dog, she's short and wide. She's 42 pounds but should be more like 35. Sometimes you can tell by foot size, sometimes not. I wouldn't go by it exclusively.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:55 am

If I was go judge Garions adult size strictly by his foot size and bone structure I would assume he's going to be 80 or 90#............I think he will be around 70-75.........at a little over 3 months he's about 28-29#. We've had him a month and he's gained 10# so we'll see what he's at in 3 weeks.

He's quite muscular already I can't imagine what's going to happen when he hits 18 months and starts popping out all over :roll: thanks God he's soo mellow.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pocketpit » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:16 pm

You've got to get the picture trail link fixed so I can look at his pictures! :))
pocketpit

Return to Health Issues