Need quick answer about flea preventative

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Need quick answer about flea preventative

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:57 am

I just realized how bad the fleas on Loki really are tonight when I went to trim her toenails. I'm going out tomorrow to buy area spray and that diatomaceous earth for the yard. I plan on spending the day launching an all-out attack on the fleas.

She just got her Frontline -- and so did the cat -- earlier this month, and I need to know if it can be harmful to apply it again before the month is up. For both her and the cat.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri May 27, 2005 2:35 am

No, it's fine, but you may need to switch flea preventatives and try Advantage if the Frontline isn't working.

clostoyo

Postby clostoyo » Fri May 27, 2005 8:25 am

:thumbsup:

clostoyo

Postby clostoyo » Fri May 27, 2005 8:27 am

you need to treat everything yard, cages all animals treat everything i like fronline plus i think its a better product just need to treat all animals and Everithing else, hope it helps

jcolt32

Re: Need quick answer about flea preventative

Postby jcolt32 » Fri May 27, 2005 9:13 am

She just got her Frontline -- and so did the cat -- earlier this month, and I need to know if it can be harmful to apply it again before the month is up. For both her and the cat.[/quote]

It's harmful to use that stuff just once. I've used it in the past. But, I just couldn't do it anymore. I use natural Neem based repellents now. It's not as effective as those chemicals and I have to be much more persistent in applying it. But, I just can't subject my dogs to that stuff anymore.
Also, what kind of food do you feed? Low quality diet promotes a breeding ground for fleas. Nice sugary blood from low quality foods is what fleas really love

jcolt32

Postby jcolt32 » Fri May 27, 2005 9:14 am

bahamutt99 wrote:She just got her Frontline -- and so did the cat -- earlier this month, and I need to know if it can be harmful to apply it again before the month is up. For both her and the cat.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri May 27, 2005 5:41 pm

jcolt32 wrote:Also, what kind of food do you feed? Low quality diet promotes a breeding ground for fleas. Nice sugary blood from low quality foods is what fleas really love

Nature's Variety kibble and raw for the dog. (Can't get much higher quality than that.) The cat gets Petsmart's brand, Authority. Loki gets garlic added to her kibble, too.

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Sun May 29, 2005 9:47 pm

Frontline is the #1 product we recomend to most of our patients and we rarley have a problem. The reason your still seeing fleas is because it sounds like you have a major infestation. The fleas have to bite your animals in order to die and thats why you still see them. I would treat the animals again and the entire environment together. Make sure the environment treatment is safe. GOOD LUCK!

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Mon May 30, 2005 7:59 pm

BullyBreedLover wrote:Frontline is the #1 product we recomend to most of our patients and we rarley have a problem. The reason your still seeing fleas is because it sounds like you have a major infestation. The fleas have to bite your animals in order to die and thats why you still see them. I would treat the animals again and the entire environment together. Make sure the environment treatment is safe. GOOD LUCK!

***I've heard that cats are real flea magnets, so treating the cat will be really important. If I were you, I'd get some regular old cat flea powder and dust the cat weekly around the rear and around the neck especially. Use a fine toothed flea comb on the dog every day, especially on the back near the tail. Check her underneath frequently too. It's super easy to see fleas on light colored short haired dogs.

Hopefully the frontline will do the job. You might consider getting one of those flea bombs with insect growth regulator and do your house too.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Mon May 30, 2005 9:29 pm

The only way to get rid of fleas is to attack them aggressively!

Treat the animals with whatever the vet recommends. I've never had a cat so I'm not sure what to recommend for the kitty or the ferret for that matter.

You will also have to clean out the closets and bomb the house as well. Fleas get into any lil spot that they can fit in. There are a few carpet powders that will help as well.

I also had to treat my yard this summer as well. It seems fleas were really bad in my area. I got some spray from Zodiac that attatches to your garden hose. It seemed to wrok pretty well.

please don't realy on flea powder, collars, or shampoos. You will only be waisting money IMHO.

jeremy

Return to “Health Issues”