Homecooked Diets

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Homecooked Diets

Postby pitbulliest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:23 pm

For any of you that make food for your dogs..and I don't mean BARF raw meats...the veggies can be raw but I cook the meat for a few minutes

What kind of meats and parts do you all use? I'm curious...

And I also wanted to know if feeding liver or kidneys to your dog can cause problems if its fed on a regular basis? I recently made a bulk recipe with chicken liver, gizzards, hearts and leg meat...and of course its balanced with rice and veggies..calcium supplement and whatnot...is feeding liver like this ok?

My other question is, how can I boost up fat content without lowering protein content? I usually see this happening...whenever I add more oil, the protein percentage of the recipe goes down and if I add more protein my fat content tends to wobble down...ugh..any suggestions? :wallbang:

Oh and TDG if you're a part of this forum, I need your genius please lol
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jmann4 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:56 pm

I don't feed my dogs cooked food (raw only). Livers in a large portions are almost guaranteed to give a dog the poo's. At least mine. They are extremely rich in protein and to much protein = poo.

I'm not sure about the others. I feed my dogs raw chicken liver and haven't had any problems in 2 years. I also throw them a KFC liver treat here and there, which they love.

All my meats are beef and chicken. I don't cook them though so that probably won't be too much help. I avoid pork, even cooked pork, since my girls get sick after eating it. Upsets their bellies something fierce.
jmann4

Postby pitbulliest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:00 pm

I have tried pork ribs...cooked them and ripped off the meat for the dogs...however I never tried any other pork meat...

Beef however, I have never tried..what kind of beef do you use..ground?
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jmann4 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

pitbulliest wrote:I have tried pork ribs...cooked them and ripped off the meat for the dogs...however I never tried any other pork meat...

Beef however, I have never tried..what kind of beef do you use..ground?

I use steak (of various cuts) and ground beef. You can buy chop steak, which is a little easier to prepare because it's thinner. Cooking would only take 2 minutes max.

Another source of meat is Venison, lamb, and Goat. My dogs love goat and deer meat (as do I). Goat is sometimes hard to find but most speciality meat markets carry it.
jmann4

Postby concreterose » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:02 pm

I boil (very quickly and leave pretty pink on the inside) :
chicken breasts, gizzards, and thighs and on occasion turkey breasts. I haven't done beef.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pitbulliest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:52 pm

conrete lol that's exactly the meat I use as well...
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby barbponys » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:55 pm

I use beef liver on a regular basis, their treats are made out of it and they get it raw at least once a week. I also use most of the other organs when I can find them. When I get whole chicken they get all the organs. I would say their total diet is maybe 15% organ meat........maybe.

I feed various cuts of steak or roasts, we rarely feed ground. Some chicken, a little turkey and ocassionally fish.

I'm starting to feed my allergy dog ostrich and he does well on it. It's a prepared diet and has the organs/muscle meat, bone and veggies.
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues