Kennel help?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
BADNBADN

Kennel help?

Postby BADNBADN » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:47 pm

Here are some pics of Jaxies new kennel and I was curious how do I make her love her kennel and enjoy her time in the kennel?
Is their a certain time to put her in the kennel and let her out?

Pic of Jaxie enjoying her bone!!

Pic of Jaxies best friend, Mocha.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:52 pm

Well, my first question would be how much socialization your doggy gets. If she spends most of her days in her kennel by herself, I'd say it's not that she hates her kennel, it's that she hates being alone.

My suggestion would be to start with the dog house. It looks like you put a lot of effort into that, which I commend you for, but it's actually not a very ideal house. Dog houses should be as small as possible so that they can trap your dog's body heat to keep him warm. The door should also be as small as possible so that the body heat stays in and cold air can't come in.

And lastly, exercise. Wear her out so that her kennel is just a resting spot rather than a place to be trapped with a bunch of energy. Take her for a long walk (or run if shes up to it) or make up a spring pole or flirt pole for her to take her energy out on.

Igraine

Postby Igraine » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:04 pm

I don't know how much cold weather you get in west Texas (somehow, I think "not a lot" ;) ) so I'm not so much worried about the size of the house, but rather that the flat roof could provide an enterprising dog a step up, to hop over the kennel fencing, and right over that six foot privacy fence the kennel is up against ~ and out into a big scary world that won't appreciate how lovely she is, or how much she needs to be protected.

How much time do you plan for her to spend in her kennel daily? It looks like you have a good start, and lots of fun and yummy doggy things are a good way to keep her chewing and entertained while you're away. The wading pool looks to be a really nice touch, BTW. Does she like it much?

I see your kennel is set up on grass ~ does your dog not dig?

I can't read it well ~ what does the sign on the kennel door say?

BTW, Mocha with that HUGE bone is absolutely adorable. . .

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:02 am

We built the kennel because she was chewing on the side of the house no matter how many toys and treats we had outside. She is only in the Kennel when no one is home and at night. She's not in there all that much. She just cries the whole time.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but the dog house isn't against the fence. We scooted it away for that reason. She hardly ever uses the dog house anyway. She mainly sleeps in a chair that is usually in the kennel.

She used to dig a little but since we got the pool she hasn't even tried. She LOVES it. We can't go outside without getting wet.

The sign is just a No Trespassing sign that was already on the gate. We are looking into getting an I Love My Pitbull sign or something just as cute.

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:52 am

The set up looks okay. You might think about making a gravel pad to set the kennel on so it doesn't get muddy. Also, in my experience even though they have more space in an outside kennel, most dogs would prefer to sleep inside in a crate than outside in a dog run at night, especially if they are alone outside. Keeping them in at night keeps them safe and the neighbors happy :))

Phi

Postby Phi » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:07 am

LoL roflmao it's off topic but it looks like the bone is bigger than the chiuauah roflmao

whiskeypup
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby whiskeypup » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:47 am

Phi wrote:LoL roflmao it's off topic but it looks like the bone is bigger than the chiuauah roflmao

roflmao thats exactly what i was cracking up at.

That is a nice kennel though, good size for her i tlooks like.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:17 pm

is she chewing holes in the kennel too, looks like some hoes in the fencing, along the bottom?

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:59 pm

The first couple of times we put her in she chewed on the fence so it is stretched out. We are thinking about putting two feet of cattle fencing around the bottom. It's a lot thicker so she can't do that.

lol yeah, that bone is bigger than Mocha. But she tries to chew on it every time Jaxie's not.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:43 am

moochesmama wrote: most dogs would prefer to sleep inside in a crate than outside in a dog run at night, especially if they are alone outside. Keeping them in at night keeps them safe and the neighbors happy :))

Ditto. (Or in your bed ;) ) Especially in Texas. Imagine sleeping outside at night with a bazillion masquitos biting you all night and a masquito breeding ground (the pool) within inches from where you sleep. And the heat outside is way too unbearable to be stuck out in it ALL day while no one is home. While it may not get as cold as some parts of the country, it can still get too cold for a Pit Bull to be left outside during the winter. There's just too much risk in leaving a dog, even in a kennel, outside alone during the day or night. It's like leaving a toddler alone, it's asking for trouble. Pit Bulls are easy to steal or she could easily try to climb out of the kennel and get her collar caught on the fence and hang herself.

loon123

Postby loon123 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:28 am

So, what's some ideas for keeping a dog outside where it's warm? I've been thinking about this, since we are talking about moving sometime, maybe in the next few years...
Chopper is used to being able to be in his kennel during the day, he much prefers it to being in a crate..and now we have new hours at work where I am gone longer during the day, but have an extra day off. He doesn't bark much at all unless there are strangers around, so the neighbors don't mind...even the non-dog-loving neighbor likes that. Usually, Chopper is sleeping at night when we are, anyway.
So, to keep a dog outside in hot weather, we were thinking about some type of big fan. A roof, definitely to protect from rain and sun, like we have now. Maybe some type of water misting system that goes off once in awhile?
I know lots of you don't agree with keeping dogs outside, but some people are going to do it, so may as well give them some good ideas to keep the dogs as safe and comfortable as possible.

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:37 am

I have yet to purchase a crate for jaxie. i just dont think that she would like it being cooped up in a crate at night. At least in her kennel she can walk around and has some room to play. As for the mesquitos, i change the water about every other day and have not noticed alot of mesquitos yet. The pool is for her to cool off in when it is hot outside. I would not mind her in the house sometimes except the shedding. Should a buy a crate and put her in that at night?
I dont know.

loon123

Postby loon123 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:52 am

I put a baby pool like that in our yard for the dogs...but not in the kennel...i think Chopper would chew on it. If I change the water every 2-3 days, we don't get mosquitoes either. Plus, I like to keep moving it so it won't kill the grass. I give them their baths in there, too.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:52 pm

You can get sun shade mesh that goes over the top of the kennel. I like kennels to be topped, (w/wire as well as a sunscreen). Once a dog learns to climb wire, it's pretty easy for them to get out.

diffinking

Postby diffinking » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:16 pm

what is the dimensions of ure keneel
= size

Return to “Training and Behavior”