Help, I am new....

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Help, I am new....

Postby BreeIsASNOB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi My name is Bree, I am 21. My husband is Jeremy. We have a kitten and our 2 pit bulls. Heidi who is 8 (full american pit) and Vader who is only 15 weeks and he is a pit/mix looks mainly like a pit tho...

I don't have any pix of Heidi on here, but here is one of Vader.
Image hopefully it works..

Either way, I really am on a short time period.. I will try searching.. But my pit Heidi is not accepting Vader, for anything! and I can't handle this. It is not fair to keep them separated, and have to keep Vader in a kennel.. It feels just mean. I have to decide if i want to give vader back to the shelter well he is still young and can hopefully find another home.. or if there is any way to try and get Heidi to accept him...

please help.. i am on a short time period.

desolatesimplicity@comcast.net

thank u
BreeIsASNOB

Postby whiskeyman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:05 pm

Here is a wonderful thread regarding the introduction of a new dog. Any advice I could give you is already included.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10229

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby BreeIsASNOB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:10 pm

I did exactly that. When we adopted Vader, we had Heidi and him meet at a park. We slowly put them together when we brought him home. Heidi seemed fine at first. It is just now for no reason she will curl her lips at him, and I am so afraid she is going to chomp down on his little puppy body... She gets mad if he sits by her, or licks her, or anything.. She had pups when she was one.. But I guess that doesnt make much of a diference.... I was just hoping there were more ways of getting them to get along...
BreeIsASNOB

Postby whiskeyman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:17 pm

BreeIsASNOB wrote:I did exactly that. When we adopted Vader, we had Heidi and him meet at a park. We slowly put them together when we brought him home. Heidi seemed fine at first. It is just now for no reason she will curl her lips at him, and I am so afraid she is going to chomp down on his little puppy body... She gets mad if he sits by her, or licks her, or anything.. She had pups when she was one.. But I guess that doesnt make much of a diference.... I was just hoping there were more ways of getting them to get along...

Just be very careful in whatever you try to do. With this breed you are always taking a chance that they will never get along. Some dogs aren't very tolerant of pups while others seem to love them. There is no guarantee that any two dogs will get along especially pitbulls. Whatever you do please do not leave them alone together even if its for just a second.

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby Noriko525 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:21 pm

how many days has it been since you first introduced them until now?

Welcome by the way!!
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby BreeIsASNOB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:21 pm

Oh I know better than to leave them alone. They are both like children to me. Maybe I am over emotional. I have been crying since we got this pup and Heidi just wont get along with him...
I just wish there was some more things to try. I don't want to have to give him up. He is potty trained, knows to sit, and no, and so much for only bein 15 weeks, he is an amazing pooch!
He even licked my tears away when I was crying the other day. What more could you want.. I just dont want to have to keep them seperated it seems so mean....

maybe ill find him a better home, or maybe i can figure out how to get them to react.. thank u tho..
BreeIsASNOB

Postby BreeIsASNOB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:22 pm

its only been 12 days
BreeIsASNOB

Postby BreeIsASNOB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:29 pm

to add another thing. I will put Vader in his kennel and give both him and Heidi a treat. and Heidi insists on eating her treat right in front of his kennel like shes trying to tease him. She waits for him to eat his first.
BreeIsASNOB

Postby Noriko525 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:30 pm

BreeIsASNOB wrote: Maybe I am over emotional. I have been crying since we got this pup and Heidi just wont get along with him...

Heidi may be also reacting to your emotions? I wonder if she sences you are upset? Once you gain full access to the board (when an Admin comes along and grants access...shouldnt be more then a day or two) you should post this up in the Training section of the forum. I'm sure you will recieve a ton more help as alot of the members to not frequent the intro section. In the mean time... there is alot of very helpful info about training and dog aggression etc... I'd read as much as possible until you can post in Training and recieve more help. Good luck to you!!
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby BreeIsASNOB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:32 pm

thank u.. i hope so..

i love my puppies.. thier like children to me..
BreeIsASNOB

Postby whiskeyman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:32 pm

BreeIsASNOB wrote:its only been 12 days

When I brought two pups into my home I waited near a month before I actually attempted the introduction to my adult female pit. I kept them completely seperated and didn't allow her to even see the pups. She could smell that they were in her house but that was it. I thought the longer I waited the greater the chances for sucess.

I only allowed them to be in the room together for a few minutes the first time and gradually lengthened their time together.

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby ripley6 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:16 pm

:welcome:

Hi!

- I know you said you don't have a lot of time, but in this sort of thing, timetables go out the window and you need to do it properly if it will work - Hang in there, hon -
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Kaytlin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:12 pm

:welcome: Cute puppy. :thumbsup:
Kaytlin

Postby Phi » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:41 pm

welcome to the board and i wish there was something i can help yoo with but others on the board will definitely help yoo out . . . :thumbsup:
Phi

introducing animals

Postby Marilyn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:27 pm

I only have one dog, but when I got her my cat flipped out. She attacked her every time she saw her. If Dante (my puppy) was in the same room Tallulah (my cat) would literally chase her down and attack her. The constant conflict was ruining my life. After about a month I said "No more!" I got a clean spray bottle of water and let them into the same room. If Dante tried to jump on Tallulah (or vice versa) is squirted her. I did this about five times a day for a week, gradually increasing their time together. Now they are fine with each other. Maybe if you give Heidi a treat everytime she sees the puppy, she will think the puppy is nice.
Marilyn

Return to Introductions