WHeatgrass OK?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

WHeatgrass OK?

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:21 am

Lately the pups are grazing like crazy. Even after being crated all day and I know that they really have to go, they bolt for the nearest patch of grass as soon as they get outside before even peeing and chomp away. I don't really like the idea of them doing this as random weeds of unknown type are always mixed in there and who knows what people have sprayed their lawns with at this time of year. Sooo, I was thinking I would grow a couple of planter boxes of wheat grass or something to let them eat. It's obvious that their bodies are calling for it so I want to let them get the fiber. Any suggestions?
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:03 pm

I wonder if it's a seasonal thing, mine are grazing like crazy too.

Planter boxes is a good idea. If you want clean seed I would go to a nursery.......Plant a couple if you have room. Alternate use so they can recooperate. I don't know that I would let them graze, maybe cut it for them and add to their food? I think them grazing on it might pull it out of the soil............maybe experiment and see.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby concreterose » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Mine are grazing all the time too...I don't let them graze much in other people's yards because the grass might be sprayed. They can eat as much as they like out of my backyard. They don't pull it up at the roots either, it grows back really quickly. I have noticed that the grazing has lessened a bit since I've been giving them more fruit...don't know if there's a connection or not.

ETA: Moto, I used to grow wheatgrass for the dogs. They wouldn't eat it :roll:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:10 pm

I have heard various reasons why dogs do this...but what is the real reason? I have noticed Brooklyn is doing it alot more...as for the girls, I haven't noticed an increase.
And if its for fiber, can't you just give them a fiber suppliment, like Metamucil in capsule form?
Hooligan

Return to Health Issues