Hello from Athens, GA.

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello from Athens, GA.

Postby hollybot » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm Holly and as of Monday, my family has a new addition.

First, I guess I should introduce my family. There's me, my husband Patrick, Baxter (a male Boston Terrier), Zoe (a female boston mix), and our four kitties, Elvis, Mabel, Max, & Katy. We all live indoors relatively peacefully.

Okay, so Monday, Patrick is driving down a road near our house and almost runs over this adorable little Pit puppy (we think he's a pit or pit mix). So, he got out and scooped the pup up and brought him home. He's really adorable, probably about 3 months old. We decided to keep him, as we've both concluded that any pet owner who would allow a baby out of their site with no id tags or anything is not an owner worth having. I'm not sure what other people's opinions are of that idea, but that's what we thought. We did call animal control and no one placed a missing ad or anything. We are also worried because we have some suspicious neighbors who may or may not be fighting dogs (which we find, obviously, abhorant.)

Anyway, we both consider ourselves very responsible pet parents and I have never been prejudice against any breed. HOWEVER! I feel a major responsibility to my kitties to find out whether or not this is going to work. The puppy has already shown a little agression and definite interest in the cats. We have no idea what lineage he came from or what has been bred into him and frankly, I'm very scared. He will be bigger than all of our animals when he's grown and I'm not sure what to do.

We've been keeping his kenel in a high traffic area of our home so that he is exposed to the cats and people without having direct access to them hoping that he will get used to them.

Also, Zoe our female, is very agressive herself. Most of the time she is female / female agressive, but sometimes will have rifts with other males. So far, the puppy and Zoe have not had any fights but he does not back down when she tells him to. They play very rough and he has no sense of when enough is enough. I worry that A) she will hurt him as a puppy due to his annoyance or B) he will get bigger than her and cause a dangerous fight.

I'm sorry this is such a long first post, but I am very worried. Equilibrium has been disrupted in our house and while I'd love to adopt every animal that I find (especially such a cute baby), I need an honest opinion on raising pits with cats and agressive smaller dogs.

Thanks SO MUCH for any advice you can give me!

And if this needs to be moved to another forum, that's cool. :D
hollybot

here are some pics

Postby hollybot » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:40 pm

Image[/img]
hollybot

Postby ripley6 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:25 pm

:welcome:

Thank you for saving him - and I feel the exact same way you do about no collars/no tags.

IMHO, he sounds like he's just being a puppy. When I brought Biscuit home at about 6 mos., our older females had to show him his place (and sometimes still do). Some degree of nipping/barking/growling is their means of communicating "back off, squirt" - but you have to know your dogs well (which I'm sure you do) in order to hear the exact level of the "discussion." Have you checked out the threads about introducing dogs? You might find some other suggestions there - (I did mine all completely wrong - thank heavens mine all worked out :oops: )

As for the cats - well, it took a couple of weeks, but everyone gets along just fine. Biscuit is prone to chase them, but at night we all cuddle together nicely. And those innocent little kitties :twisted: have been known to stage an ambush or two from beneath the bed, behind a corner, off the counter . . . lol

Hope everything works out!
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby hollybot » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't know why I'm so nervous about it. I guess I am just buying into all the bad information that's so prominant regarding pits. I KNOW in my heart that they're really great dogs and I've been raised with animals who have all ended up getting along.

We're definitely going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that all goes well.

:D
hollybot

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:30 pm

:welcome:

Sounds like he's just being a typical puppy and testing his boundaries! There are alot of great threads floating around here about socialization and keeping a peaceful multi-dog home :thumbsup:

Best of luck with new pup and thanks for saving him!! Looking forward to more pictures, he's a cutie!
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Tinka44 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:42 pm

Welcome!! Thank you for saving him!! Sound to me like he's just being a puppy, my dogs have all learned they're lesson with the cat, and it took just one time getting a scratch and a hiss for them to uderstand she owns the house!! It will take time for all your pets to adjust to the new addition.

:peace:
Tinka44
Adolescent Bully

Postby Phi » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:14 am

welcome to the forum and the pup is beautiful :inlove: :thumbsup:
Phi

Postby MENMYPIT » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:30 am

:welcome: well isn't he just adorable? what a cute pup you have. it is always a pleasure to raise them as pups but then there's always the tention of chewing and nawing at things.just have some patience with him and he will do fine in your home. i have a pit and a doberman and they get along well.although my dobe loves all animals (cats,birds,ferrets..etc.), but on the other hand my pit will devour them,lol. good luck with your new puppy and glad to hear someone rescue another pup,seeing thats what i do,lol. congrats !! :bowdown:
MENMYPIT

Postby Contessa63 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:39 pm

What a sweetheart! :inlove: :inlove:
Contessa63
Bully Ambassador

Return to Introductions