Please help, dog's ears are so so bad now

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

An Update...

Postby bellablue » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:31 pm

I want to thank everyone on here for their advice and direction...

Bella is now enjoying relief from all that has ailed her for so many months. She went from having completely raw, bloody, scabbed, and infected ears and constantly shaking her head and scratching in pain to having beautifully clear and healthy ears in a matter of days.

For the records, here is what I bought to relieve her allergy:

1. Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato($20)
2. Cortisone-10 cream($9)
3. Generic Benadryl 250ct.($13)
4. Small bag of flax seed($2)
Total: ~$45

(I also used some otibiotic ointment from one vet that worked similar to Neosporin to kill bacteria and heal scabs)

Here is my regimine:

1. Mix Wellness with hot water and stir in crushed flax seeds for every meal.
2. 2 Benadryl daily.
3. Rub in otibiotic ointment inside of ear, follow with Cortisone-10 on inside and outside of ears.

Results:
1. No more head shaking, complete absence of any scratching, complete healing of sores and scabs.
2. Also noticed *drastic* reduction in water intake(due to healthier diet)--she now urinates much less frequently as well as has very firm and healthy-looking stool(very easy to dispose).
3. Bella is obviously happier and is not upset by contact with her ears, she's a normal dog again. I am also relieved to have found a remedy that works.

Thanks again everyone,
Adam
bellablue

Postby concreterose » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:05 pm

Glad to hear she's doing well!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:49 pm

That's awesome news Adam. I bet Bella is a much happier little girl now. The flax can be continued for good skin health if you choose. Since it hasn't been heated at all it will do wonders for her and she will be able to use it better. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Kara » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:53 pm

barbponys wrote:That's awesome news Adam. I bet Bella is a much happier little girl now. The flax can be continued for good skin health if you choose. Since it hasn't been heated at all it will do wonders for her and she will be able to use it better. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

the flax seed... does this work for dogs with dry skin, as opposed to allergies?? Jada has very dry skin, in particular her nose. I add safflower oil to her food everyday, but it still sometimes gets dry. Would these be better, and where do you buy them, regulkar grocery store or health food store??

thanks,
Kara
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barbponys » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:15 pm

Kara,
Flax is a better oil for the dogs than the sunflower. You can get whole flax seeds at health food stores. A little goes a long way. You would use maybe 2 teaspoons per feeding. They have to be ground fine since they can't use them whole. If you grind them don't do more than you can use in a 3 or 4 days and store the ground ones in the fridge. It spoils very quickly. You can also get flaxseed oil in the health food store in the refridgerated section, 8 oz will cost...........6-10 bucks and will last about a week, if you're lucky. The whole seeds would be cheaper.

Another option is a feed store. You won't be able to get smaller than 20# probably but they can store for a long time in tupperware or some other storage container. A coffee grinder will be your best friend, they work beautifully. Good luck.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:27 pm

Glad to hear all is well again Adam!
moto1320
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues