Hello Everyone, need help...

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello Everyone, need help...

Postby KarenK » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:48 pm

Hello everyone. I have a 7 month old pit mix who is about 35-40lbs. Shasty was a pound puppy that I fell in love with. She looked so lonesome in that cage at the pound. Our county animal control will not save Pits. If they get puppies and their temperment is good, they are listed as lab/terrier mixes to get adopted. Being new to the Pit world, I got on as many websites, and bought several books to learn all I can about this wonderful breed. I helped rescue a female Pit from my neighbors who don't take very good care of their male. I have several problems with Shasty. One, she will not learn to potty outside. She stays in her crate during the daytime and when I have to leave the house. She also sleeps with my 31 year old daughter at night. The second problem is she will eat anything!! I have seen some strange things in her poop. And the third most important problem is that she has started to urinate frequently. This has started suddenly. I'm taking her to the vet immediately. But was wondering if Pits have a problem with bladder stones. Any information would be helpful. Thanks for this opportunity to post on this site.

KarenK
Nashville, Tn
KarenK
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello Everyone, need help...

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:55 am

KarenK wrote:One, she will not learn to potty outside. She stays in her crate during the daytime and when I have to leave the house. She also sleeps with my 31 year old daughter at night.

I'm assuming the problem is she doesn't potty outside and that the others aren't problems? (An aside, our pup Popeye sleeps with us every night and stays in his crate all day when we aren't there. Sometimes he goes there on his own to nap.) The only thing I can think of is take Shasty outside for a long time until she eventually does potty. When she does then lavish praise upon her and reward her with a high value treat. Do this constantly.

KarenK wrote:The second problem is she will eat anything!! I have seen some strange things in her poop.

She is 7 months old. Does she know the command "Too Bad?" (Some people use "No," I use Too Bad because I rarely use that in regular speech and I say no all the time.) If she does, use that when she's chomping something she shouldn't to get her to stop. Just make sure it isn't chocolate, onions, grapes or whole apples (due to apple seeds) as all of those are toxic for dogs.

KarenK wrote: And the third most important problem is that she has started to urinate frequently. This has started suddenly. I'm taking her to the vet immediately. But was wondering if Pits have a problem with bladder stones. Any information would be helpful. Thanks for this opportunity to post on this site.

Vet! Unless she has started drinking a TON more water lately, bladder infection and stones (although with stones it's frequent need to pee with very little pee coming out usually) are the usual cause.

Good luck!
PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Thanks for the reply

Postby KarenK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 pm

The not potty outside problem is getting to be a major problem. I have for the past several months taken a great treat with me when we go outside. I praise her very much when she pottys outside. She stays in a crate during the daytime and will not go near it unless I have to put her inside. She hates her crate but will not fuss once inside it. She sleeps with my daughter during the night. Since I'm a police officer, and I work in the area I live, I come home at least 3 times during the day to let her out. Still, she will take spells of peeing in the house and other times not. Now, for some strange reason, she has taken up chewing my daughter's things, like bathing suits, shoes, other clothes. This just started in the past two weeks. Thanks for your help it was very much appreciated.

KarenK
KarenK
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:01 pm

If she is crated when you are gone, when is she peeing in the house? As for the chewing, they chew.... a lot. Substitute toys for whatever they are chewing. (I use 'leave it' take the 'bad' item away and 'take it' for the toy. They still chew on things they aren't supposed to, but at least now they wait until I'm not looking lol I use Vicks Vapor Rub on my computer cables and things like the corners of my box-spring.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby BullyBreedLover » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:02 am

Kanga will be 1 in a few weeks and she STILL CHEWS EVERYTHING! They need to work thier jaw muscles..haha.....I hope things get better with the urinating around the house. They are very smart dogs so hopefully she gets the idea....GOOD LUCK! :)
BullyBreedLover

Postby pblove » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:01 am

hello and welcome,
have you started any obedience training with her or have you taken her to obedience classes??This will help you and her to bond and she will be more willing to please you after bonding like htis.
I rescued a little mix dog, was 8 years old and never potty trained yet! I took her ot obedience classes, had her potty trained in about 5 days.
I thing thsi dog I rescued never knew how to bond or try to please a person before, so she was so happy to learn anything and please me, ???
Also, is she getting a LOT of daily exercise, hard exercise? This will hlep with her boredom/ chewing too.
Please don't give up on her, she just needs to learn.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullforever » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:16 pm

:welcome: please don't give up on her it may just be a urnary track infection. that will cause them to go to the bathroom inside. please get her started on a training course it will help. stay here and let us know how she's doing we'd love to help where we can.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Return to Introductions