Does your dog puke??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Does your dog puke??

Postby amyelaine » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:04 pm

Ok I know it sounds pretty gross but kali has been throwing up a lot lately. She usually does it in the middle of the night or in the morning. It looks like bile. I started to feed her at night thinking she needed something to coat her stomach but it's not working. The vet said that she is completly healty. I got the usual, some dogs just puke more then others. lol It's almost like she has acid reflux. She hasn't had any problems with Wellness so I dont think it's the food. Does anyone else have this problem or advice??

Thanks in advance!
amyelaine

Postby tuesdaysmom » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:06 pm

Hmmm never heard of this. Maybe dogs can have acid reflux, tagamet maybe? I really don't know, I usually get a second opinion and if it is the same as the other vet, then it is probably fact. Maybe she is sick because she wants in the bed with you. Just kidding! roflmao
tuesdaysmom

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:08 pm

Could be treats, rawhide, types of chew toy. Ocassionally Doc will do this for a couple of days. He gets really worked up, gulps down a bunch of water and yaks it up.
Last edited by moto1320 on Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby blover27 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:13 pm

moto1320 wrote:Could be treats, rawhide, types of chew toye. Ocassionally Doc will do this for a couple of days. He gets really worked up, gulps down a bunch of water and yaks it up.

jack does that too occasionally....he'll just get in a sitting position and dry heaves for a couple of seconds then throws up the water...pretty scary the first time that happened
blover27

Postby blackbear219 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:13 pm

I woke up the other morning to Beau laying on the floor getting ready to barf. Since I think his barfing lurches woke him up, he was laying down standard dog style with his paws out in front of him.

By the time I cleared the cobwebs from my eyes, he had puked all over his front paws roflmao
blackbear219

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:23 pm

Has she been eating any grass lately? Whenever Gator decides to try a vegetarien diet he pukes all over the house. At 3 in the am it's no fun to step in.
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kara » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:46 pm

Perhaps it is something he is eating? Like Nasek said, perhaps grass. If Taurus eats too much grass he will throw up too. Is he still a puppy? I have found since Taurus is getting older ( 4 1/2 yrs now...) his stomach is not quite as weak. He used to puke more when he was younger, but seems to have grown out of it.
How often is he puking?
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Pookie used to be a BIG puker. The vet said the same thing someone else said...some dogs puke more than others. We spent mucho bucks to take her to the emergency clinic during one episode for them to tell us to put her on a bland diet for a week. Try that.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Alpha_Male » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:51 pm

heh, Al was doing the SAME thing. it was freaking my girlfriend out. he'd throw up during the night, and then in the morning a couple times.. he did this for several days straight.

I figured he probably was either eating too much and throwing up, or his stomach was too empty and he was throwing up stomach fluids. So, what i did was instead of feeding him two normal sized meals during the day, i switched to feeding him a half meal in the morning, a normal meal after i get home from work, and a half meal in the evening before bed (just enough to help push that last BM of the day).

That seems to have fixed it.
Alpha_Male

Postby elegy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:14 pm

luce'll yarf up pieces of bones she swallows once in awhile, but that's about it.

how often do you feed her? if it's just bile, maybe she needs to eat more often?

you can use stuff like pepcid with dogs, but i don't know the dosage. you could ask your vet. it doesn't seem fair that the vet just writes it off as nothing. it's not normal for a dog to puke regularly. and it can't be much fun for the poor dog.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:47 pm

I have a friend who's dog had to have 4 meals a day. If he went too long without a meal he would puke. When she would get real busy and miss his late evening meal one of us would usually wake up to him hucka huckaing. He grew out of it about the age of 4.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Demo Dick » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:35 am

I think you guys are onto it. Dogs that have a fast metabolism need to eat more often. Their stomachs produce extra digestive juices and if there is no food in the gut, the juices make them sick.

Connor is the same way. In fact he just yakked about 20 minutes ago. His vet told me that it's not a big deal if the fluid is yellow foam or clear, just to feed him smaller meals more frequently.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

He used to. . .

Postby sundaygirl » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:50 am

For a month or two, Luther was frequently gagging or puking in the middle of the night or early morning. Yellow bile (gross, I know). We took rawhide bones away and it has stopped entirely. The only chews/bones he gets now are bully sticks. No more rawhide for him, ever.

Also, ditto on the grass eating - will also cause the yellow bile.
sundaygirl

Postby cisom » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:48 am

Our old dog always horked up the white rawhides. Quite often there wouldn't be any of it left in the mess, but that was definitely the cause. No rawhides no barf.
cisom
Matured Bully

Return to Health Issues