Teething question...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Teething question...

Postby chalkline » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:55 pm

Milenko has just started teething. His two front teeth on the top have come through. He hasn't been eating as much lately (only about 1 1/2 cups of Canidae a day). Also the other day he started drooling alot. Could all of this be caused by the teething?? Other than those symptoms he seems perfectly fine. He isn't lethargic and he doesn't have any diarrhea or anything like that. any advie you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks!
chalkline

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:05 am

It is probably teething. I learned the hard way by having EVERY SINGLE one of my pair of shoes demolished by my Chihuahua during his teething phase...I suggest you provide alot of toys and chewies for your doggy and watch for any teeth that might pop out on your floor lol I think its so cute when that happens.

If the drooling doesn't stop though I'd look into it, although I don't know that much about teething to be honest. Hopefully someone else will give you a little more insight :) good luck.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:16 am

Soak a towel or some other "allowable" fabric toy in water and freeze it. Or give frozen raw bones. It will sooth the gums. Perhaps cut down on the drooling. I can't imagine how tender his gums are right now, swallowing means closing and creating suction, pressure on the gums. I could be wrong though.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pocketpit » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:59 pm

Those sound like symptoms of teething for sure. It's also not uncommon for them to not eat quite as much when they start losing the other teeth. How much is he drooling? If it's excessive then I'd take him in for an exam. I've never had a drooler before so I'd be concerned if it's heavy drool or doesn't go away very shortly.
pocketpit

Postby Fish » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:19 pm

How is Milenko doing with the Canidae food ? Thats what I am planning to feed my pup when I get him, should be born in about 9 days, thank god. I don't think I can wait much longer, this is worse than waiting on an income tax check.
Fish

Postby chalkline » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:40 pm

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. Is there anything that we can do to get him to eat more? We have been putting in some wet food to see if he will eat a little more but he just eats all the wet food and not the dry food.

The Canidea is a very good brand of food. It is one of the best out there. All of our dogs are on it and they seem to like it. Plus it is all life stages. Milenko is growing very well from the food. His muscles are forming well and he has alot of energy from the food (when he eats). His coat is starting to look more shiny and lustrious. I would definitely reccomend the Candiae.
chalkline

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:51 pm

Okay guys...Im going with the Diamond Puppy formula...
PitBullPride

Postby pitbully69 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:10 pm

My daisy is going through her teething phase too. It takes a couple days from the time you see the adult teeth come through the gums and the baby teeth fall out.She hasn't drooled yet, so you might want to get that checked out. I never had a dog drool alot during teething. I don't know if that is common.
pitbully69

Postby chalkline » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:13 am

Yeah, he hasn't drooled since then so I really don't know what that was. I think I may have just been being too paranoid. I tend to do that alot. And today I just bought him a new bag of Canidae and he scarfed it down so I don't know if he was just being picky because the other bag was getting "old" even though I only had it about 3 weeks or what! I also noticed that a baby tooth that had been loose finally came out so maybe that tooth was what was bothering him. Thanks for all the advice everybody!
chalkline

Postby Skeptik » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:14 am

Just curious... how old was your puppy when this began?
Skeptik

Return to Health Issues