Opinion on Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:40 am

Ive heard of Wellness in my area...I may try that....How about natural choice? Have any of you heard of them???
PitBullPride

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:31 am

I know what makes the prescription diet for urine crystals work, it's called DL-Methionine, it acidifies. If you fed that diet without the addition of that chemical your cat/dog would die of crystal overload. The poop they make that food out of is gross and is precisely the reason sooooo many cats have blockages and crystal problems. Not to mention sooo many other health issues. There are people I know who have animals that are, for whatever reason, prone to struvite crystals. A few feed high quality dry and raw diets, it's the particular animal. They ADD DL-Methionine or methiaform to their food, or pill them a few times a week to keep them in check. It has nothing to do with the benefit of SD's research and "testing", it has more to do with pharmacology. It's sad to hear vets say they understand that cats and dogs are carnivores but still say......."just feed the prescription, it will help". RWAR!!!!! :po:
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:41 am

I know at my animal hospitals they had a branch of science diet "prescription diets" like a/d for pets that have to be tube fed, c/d for frequent uti's, w/d for obese pets, i/d for upset stomachs etc. I always wondered how they knew how to formulate those. 8(
PitBullPride

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:01 am

The weight loss formula is 25% fiber(peanut hulls)..........they poop more than they eat. It pretty disgusting, when they go back on regular food if you aren't careful(they tend to gorge) you're right back where you started. Not to mention the fact that their out put is enormous, they basically go on a starvation diet. :yucky:

I can't say much to the other formulas since I haven't read the ingredient list. I think I would have the same opinion though, the basic crap is still in it just modified here and there for whatever the special need is. Lots of by-product, grain fractions, chemical preservatives and crap.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Kara » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:55 am

We feed both our dogs Canidae. I feel it is a great food, and we noticed a huge difference in our dogs coats, teeth, softness, less poops.... We were feeding Eukanuba, and Jada wasn't doing very well on it. Taurus has always been fed Eukanuba, and was doing okay on it, but Jada has very dry skin, and her nose was constantly dry and flakey.
We switched them to Canidae, and within a couple weeks, her nose has wet again, and she wasn't scrtaching at her dry skin. It is a bit more expensive them the Eukanuba, but the dogs eat less of it, so it works about them same because the bag lasts us longer.

http://www.canidae.com/
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby zombie » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:10 pm

what about pro plan?
zombie

Postby Alexandra&Diego » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:14 pm

Farmfood :)) thats what Shaina gets!

And Diego.....Barf :)) i make his menu's :thumbsup:
Alexandra&Diego

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:06 pm

Pro Plan is a Purina product and they are owned by Mars if I'm not mistaken. Any food you can get in a grocery store you need to run from VERY fast. Cheap does not equate to good here, not even close.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby zombie » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:27 pm

ya i went and read up on the food....this is a varey helpfull forum....
-willy-
zombie

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:32 pm

Have you thought of making your dog's food for them? It may be a bit more work but its healthier for the dogs if you have the right amount of research and can balance meals. Try reading Dr. Pitcairn's book on a natural diet for dogs and cats.

I feed my dogs wellness when I have to...its a good food..other than that I cook food for them...no raw meat though...raw veggies are ok but I prefer to cook the meat personally.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Motodiva » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:13 pm

Well, since we're on the topic, I did a search for Precise brand dog food and came up with nothing. Has anyone ever used this food. It was recommended at a health pet food store and the owners are into bull terriers. They claim this stuff is the best, but they are dealers so...

Anyone know anything about it? Thanks.
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby phez718 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:52 pm

The ingredients in Precise aren't as bad as Iams or Science Diet, but they are not good either. I prefer Wellness, Canidae, or any food with similar ingredients.

Worst - Iams Dry Food Ingredients
Lamb Meal
Brewer's Rice
Corn Meal
Sorghum
Ground Barley
Chicken Fat
Fish Meal
Chicken Byproduct Meal
Corn Grits
Dried Beet Pulp
Natural Chicken Flavor
Dried Egg Product
Brewer's Dried Yeast
Salt

Better - Precise Dry Food Ingredients
Chicken Meal
Ground Brown Rice
Rice Bran
Whole Oats
Chicken Fat
Flaxseed
Dried Beet Pulp
Lecithin
Natural Chicken Flavor
Dried Kelp
Fish Oil
Salt
Yucca Schidigera

Best - Wellness Dry Food Ingredients
Deboned Chicken
Ground Barley
Oatmeal
Rye Flour
Menhaden Fishmeal
Whitefish
Ground Brown Rice
Canola Oil
Flax Seed
Dried Peas
Dried Carrots
Whole Sweet Potatoes
Whole Apples
Whole Blueberries
Whole Clove Garlic

*These are adult dry food ingredients. I got these ingredients from http://www.naturapet.com (except for the Wellness because they only had Puppy formula and Senior.) I got the Wellness ingredients from http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com
phez718

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:06 pm

Precise is another food I have dealt with for almost 10 years. It's a 15+ year old formula that isn't, in my opinion, worth your time or money. They tried to catch up with their Plus formula but they missed. We are phasing it out......pretty much have but for one or two customers.

Might want to consider looking into Timberwolf, top of the heap at the moment.........give it a couple of years, something else will come along that's better. It isn't cheap but feeds real well and pits do great on any of the formulas, 5 to choose from at this time. If you're gonna spend almost 40 bucks on lesser foods, give this one a go. I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna be happy with it.

Timberwolf can be found here.

Pet Etc.
1145 Edgewater St NW
Salem, OR
Ph: 503-375-3573
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Motodiva » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:12 pm

Wow, thanks, that is helpful. An address and phone number too. I really appreciate it.
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Odnarb » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:51 am

barbponys wrote:Pro Plan is a Purina product and they are owned by Mars if I'm not mistaken.

Nestle, the other candy bar. LOL

Any food you can get in a grocery store you need to run from VERY fast. Cheap does not equate to good here, not even close.

Well, Pro Plan can't be purchased in a grocery store. Do you think that Royal Canin is a bad diet, since you can get Pedigree in a grocery store? (Royal Canin bought Waltham AND IVD).
Odnarb
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues