BC/Washington Pit Rescue people!!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

BC/Washington Pit Rescue people!!

Postby Rumpley » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Hi all,

Get this - I'm looking for a senior pit (or a bomb proof easy adult) for someone to adopt!! That's doesn't happen everyday, eh? This home isn't screened yet, but could easily be, if we can find a dog that suits him.

He contacted us first for information, and said that he thought perhaps a senior would be the best choice, as he is a first time dog owner and would love to have a bull breed, but thought they might be "too much dog" for him. Wish all people had this much common sense!

We only have one senior dog here listed, and the rest are probably not suitable for first time pit owner.

Anyone knows of any dogs that fit this bill?
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby phez718 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:08 pm

Oh, I wish you were closer! We have a GREAT senior boy at the rescue I volunteer for. His name is Van Gogh. Here's his Petfinder page:

http://....
phez718

Postby Motodiva » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:21 pm

Here are a couple of females off of petfinder in the Portland area:

Bessy
Dog
Pit Bull Terrier

Size: Large
Sex: Female
I.D:

Notes: Bessy is yet another sweet Pit Bull that ended up in a shelter awaiting a committed famiy of her very own. She was abandoned after recently delivering a litter of puppies and is still a bit thin. She weighs approximately 45lbs at the present time but could use some fattening up. In time with good nutrition her body will gain back its girlish figure. She has a short black and white coat that will require minimal maintenance and grooming. She is housebroken and very sweet. She is fine with older children but can be a little too much energy for the young ones. She is fine with bigger dogs but should not be with cats and small dogs. Are you the guardian angel she so richly deserves? Come in and see if her eyes don't melt your heart!

This pet is: already house trained

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pet is eligible for a gift of the first two months of ShelterCare pet insurance paid for by Petfinder.com [Click] E-mail this pet to a friend!

Family Dogs New Life Shelter
Portland, OR
503-771-5596
PDUC2@aol.com

Mona
Dog
Pit Bull Terrier

Size: Large
Sex: Female
I.D:

Notes: Mona is truly an asset to her breed. You only need to look into her sweet face and she will melt your heart. She is a wonderful, short stocky little girl with a short black and white coat. She is very calm and well behaved and responds to basic commands. She rides very well in the car and loves people. She is fine with other dogs of her size but we do not know about cats or small dogs. She has recently had a litter of puppies so will need a little time to regain that girlish figure. She is about 3 years old and weighs around 50lbs. If you have ever had thoughts of owning a pit bull, come on in to meet our Mona, she is one in a million.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pet is eligible for a gift of the first two months of ShelterCare pet insurance paid for by Petfinder.com [Click] E-mail this pet to a friend!

Family Dogs New Life Shelter
Portland, OR
503-771-5596
PDUC2@aol.com
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby sam » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:29 pm

Hey Katie,
Have you seen the old girl in surrey??? She seems liek a perfect match.

If not there is an old boy out here in Ontario, see my post about him...
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Motodiva » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:56 pm

:oops: Duh! I forgot to look in Canada! There are 2 perfect candidates in BC!!!

http://www.pbrc.net/dogpages/north/nvawsN5440_1.html
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rumpley » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

However, the right dog for this person would be one that is already housetrained, has some basic commands, and is easy going (I don't think being dog aggressive qualifies as that, sadly). He needs an EASY to handle dog, therefore his choice for a senior potentially, not one with issues or strong breed "traits" as that would be too much for him to handle as a first time bully owner.

It's SO rare you find someone looking for a senior. He's been trying to find one, but we only had two in our systems in the last 2 months, and the first one got snapped right up.

Who knew a senior would be so hard to find? He checked out the one locally in Surey, but said, that no one would help him at the shelter and since she just came in, there was no info on her. He's going to check back with them in a week when they've gotten to know her better, but he said right now, she's in incredibly rough shape medically so it might be awhile.

Thought I'd just put some feelers out in the mean time.
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby sam » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:36 pm

I totally forgot about Ivy at the N. Van. shelter (posted above). She actually is a REALLY easy to handle dog. Low key, smaller, polite when walking by dogs, etc. She basically just tries to avoid them, and is only dog-aggro if attacked first (she does not iniate anything).

She's good with kids, easy on leash, house-trained, crate-trained, has basic obedience, and is a REAL love.

She obsessively caries her kong around, wiggling her wee butt.

As far as Surrey goes, if he is interested in Tanara, he should talk to Lisa the volunteer coor. she's fab. and very helpful (and loves pitties).

pm'd you
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Motodiva » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:09 pm

Are you still looking for an older adoptable pit? I just saw that my local HS has an 8 year old male. I have not been in to see him and don't know anything about him but his name and age. Let me know if you still want details.

Sanya
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Boo439 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:49 am

Awww... what special doggies... I love senior PBs. I hope they find homes to live out the rest of their lives!
Boo439

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs