Exercise

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Exercise

Postby shella677 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:49 pm

What is your exercise routine for you pitties. I'm trying to get some new fun ideas, instead of the same walk everyday, and also to see if I'm even exercising my pups enough each day. How much exercise is recommended?
shella677

Postby JB » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:02 pm

My dog usually gets about two hours of walks a day. By walks I mean running around like a lunatic.

Her walks are usually the same. 20 or so minutes of fetch in a fairly private park... 30 minutes at an off leash dog park.... then 10 more minutes playing fetch at the first park on my way back home. Either I do the same after work, or I go get the whippet from across the street for her to run around wth at either park for an hour or more. This keeps her pretty pooped. She's been on the same schedule since she was really young.

On the weekends I try to get her out with the above mentioned whippet to run around some sort of scrub land somewhere in the city. Big parks, the beach, a big valley in the middle of the city (Toronto).

When it's minus 30ish (Celcius), I drop her off at the whippets house, or that skinny little dog comes to my house to blow off some steam for an hour or so at a time.
JB

Postby moto1320 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:17 pm

Before we got Doc, Daisys workout was like this:

-Wake me up in the morning smacking be in the head with her deflated soccer ball that she killed. Play with that for a few, eat, walk a mile.

-Play tug o'war for about 30 mins inside during the hot part of the day

-Late afternoon, 20 mins or so of zoomies/tag in the yard. 30 mins springpole. Jog a mile, walk 3 or more.

-night, springpole again. 4 mile walk. eat again.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:34 pm

Angel and Honey have the same schedule except Angel is getting tuned for UKC obedience so she get's an extra 30 min. at night. It goes something like this:

1. Morning - Back yard to chase balls and play tug for 20-25 minutes.

2. Afternoon - lately it's been to hot, but normally they get another 35 minutes of running in the yard and spring pole time.

3. Evening - 10 minutes playing ball and tug at the park. Then we go for an hour or hour and a half walk. (3-10 miles depending on how lazy I am.)

4. Late night (12 am) - 15 minutes of obedience work for Angel followed by proofing what she already knows for another 15 minutes.

During the hot months of summer my dogs routine is cut down. During the winter it's increased with an extra hour of some sort of play/work. Spring pole, pulling the sled (with my 230 lbs rear on it), or playing in the snow.

Normally I like to give them at least 20 minutes of non-stop running. With Angel I throw tennis balls and when she returns I throw another one. I repeat that about 15 times (it's not easy walking around with 15 tennis balls) or until she starts to show signs of overheating.

Honey, I use a flirt pole.

So if you broke it down my dogs get an average of 2-4 hours of hard to moderate exercise per day. Again, depending on how lazy I am and the weather.
jmann4

Return to Health Issues