Chewing her Hair off.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Chewing her Hair off.

Postby tuesdaysmom » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:31 am

Two maybe even three weeks ago, Wesley bathed Tuesday. Afterwards he "saturated" her with flea spray. In my opinion he sprayed too much, but not enough to "hurt" her. Well, the next day she was chewing alot, so I bathed her again real good and NO flea spray. It was Adams Flea Spray by the way. Since then she has started chewing at the base of her tail and all around the rear area, including her thighs. There are literally bald spots around her tail area and thighs, and she is still chewing, but not as much, and she has had three baths with puppy shampoo(the same she has always used) since this and NO flea spray. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?? It's bothering me so much that I even dreamed about it being fleas last night, I checked twice this morning and there is no fleas. :roll:
tuesdaysmom

Postby elegy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:08 am

anal gland trouble maybe? i know when my little poodle's anal glands get full she'll start licking back there. licking is not far from chewing.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby tuesdaysmom » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:29 am

No I checked all that, she's not chewing that far down there, mostly at the top of her tail and her thighs, like she has fleas real bad, I am taking her into the vet tomorrow.
tuesdaysmom

Postby Sarah » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:15 pm

If she started chewing after the flea spray, she could be allergic to it. I'm pretty sure that is a pyrethrins based spray, and allergic reactions to that substance are not uncommon. Once the irritation starts, it could take a while to settle down.
Do take her to the vet, who might be able to give her something to make her more comfortable, and can see if it's something else entirely. I wouldn't use the flea spray again, though. For flea control, I highly recommend that you use Advantage or Frontline, which are more effective and safer.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Rumpley » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:25 pm

If you've thoroughly checked her and there are no fleas present, she either has a flea allergy to the occasional bite (which chewing in those areas is a common symptom of), or a reaction to the flea spray (which is where my money would be on) .

Did she start chewing right AFTER this flea treatment, or has it been ongoing even beforehand? That would directly tell you whether is was the spray or not.

If she was chewing beforehand, considering those areas she is chewing at, those are classic flea allergy areas. It might mean that she gets the odd bite and is having a reaction to it.

Also, giving her so many baths, and the spray on top of it, may have really irritated her skin and dried it out. Sometimes they get inflamed skin, and the chewing makes it worse, then they chew more and it keeps going and going. It was good advice to get something from the vet to calm her skin, and stop the itching.
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:07 pm

:goodpost: Rumpley. I agree 100%. All I would add is consider treating the house. The flea only spends 1% of it's life on the dog and only the females bite. If you use a natural non-toxic product in the carpet it will keep them under control. They work extremely well and are well worth the cost. Fleago is the product I use, I swear by it. Having a dog with an allergy he still reacts to the bites and it's impossible to prevent that 100%..............unless I move to Nevada :)).
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues