Tennis Balls ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tennis Balls ?

Postby Fish » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:18 am

I have seen several Pic's in the Gallery section of people playing with tennis balls with their dogs. I have read and this maybe an Ole Wifes Tale for all I know, that the glue in tennis balls over time will cause a dog to lose his teeth. This really isnt a problem with a puppy, he will lose his teeth anyway but an older dog is something else. Has anyone heard this before?
Fish

Tennis Balls

Postby SKoth » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:38 am

Fish- I haven't heard that before... but if it's true I'm screwed! I can't imagine how that would have any validity. But, like anything, they can pose health concerns. They shouldn't be ingested. So if your dog makes a habit of swallowing things it chews on I would trade a kong for that tennis ball. The tennis ball or parts of it can become blocked in the stomach or intestine. Or if your dog is an insane fetcher I wouldn't throw the tennis ball to a dog that is facing you (so that the dog were to catch it while still facing you).... rather make the dog chase it. This way the ball isn't forcefully entering the dogs mouth. I have seen dogs before choke when a ball has become lodged in their throat. Otherwise, I think you should be fine with your dog and tennis balls!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby JB » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:07 am

I haven't heard of the glue thing... that might be a myth.

I do find it surprising that people on a bulldog message board talk about tennis balls and take pics of their dogs with tennis balls. My dog isn't even a year old, but I'd estimate that I'd be a couple hundred dollars richer if a tennis ball would last even 10 minutes with my mutt. Dog toys are way too expensive, and way too weak (in general).

I did discover a great ball resource for serious chewers. One of the parks that I take my dog to every day has an outdoor ice rink (that's canada for you, eh?) that doubles as a lacross court in the summer. Those heavy rubber balls they use are always being launched into the park and lost.... then found by my mutt!
JB

Postby jmann4 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:20 am

I've heard that as well Fish. I can't remember where I read it though. My dog Angel is a tennis ball FREAK. I sometimes think about it when she catch's them or if I throw one to hard and she ends up snagging it. Hope it isn't true.
jmann4

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:57 am

Funny thing is that Doc will shred a black Kong in no time, but the tennis balls last....?
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:07 pm

I haven't heard anything about the glue but have heard that the fabric on the outside isn't good for them to chew on cuz it's like sand paper and can wear their teeth down real fast. Don't know how true that is either.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby JB » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 pm

moto1320 wrote:Funny thing is that Doc will shred a black Kong in no time, but the tennis balls last....?

I demand that we exchange dogs immediately.
JB

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:37 pm

Don't joke with me now... I already have a packing slip duct taped to his ass. lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Alpha_Male » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:00 pm

All Al ever does to tennis balls is pull the fuzz and make them look funny. We switched to a tennis ball sized kong ball and he loves that. When he gets bigger i'll ahve to invest in the 6 inch model. ha
Alpha_Male

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:40 pm

OMG, Alpha. Your avatar is too cute. :inlove:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:38 pm

moto1320 wrote:Funny thing is that Doc will shred a black Kong in no time, but the tennis balls last....?
Ok thats backwards!!
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:43 pm

Vicki's tennis balls last pretty long because she actually knows how to play fetch and prefers to fetch instead of chew. When she ends the game and starts chewing, the ball goes up. Pookie on the other hand, does not know how to play fetch. If I throw the ball, she goes to get it and promptly destroys it.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Demo Dick » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:38 am

Ed Frawley writes on his website (www.leerburg.com) that the adhesive used in tennis balls, when combined with moisture, releases noxious chemicals that rot the enamel off of teeth. Just to be safe, I would try to find another ball to use.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby Kara » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:06 pm

:crybaby: Jada is going to be so upset....

her favorite thing to do is cry / catch a tennis ball....

Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kara » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:07 pm

can anyone tell me why my pictures won't work anymore??

I'm doing them the same as always, and the past few that I've tried to post have not worked??
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Next

Return to Health Issues