Cropping ears

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Cropping ears

Postby donblaze » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:37 pm

my girlfriends puppy is 13 weeks old is that too old to crop her ears? I can tell shes gonna be the size of a 40 pounder but weigh like 55 her parents are beautiful and ripped. But she got these big floppy ears and she looks so silly. My other dog has a huge head so I kept the ears and IM glad I did, but this one needs them cropped. also I see different styles of crops. is that just all dogs are done be a diferent vet and they come out different or are there different ways of doing it?? ps I'll be posting pics very soon :thumbsup:
donblaze

Postby pocketpit » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:13 pm

13weeks is not too old, but many vets don't like to do them beyond 16 weeks of age. There are some that will do Pit ears at an older age because the crop is shorter, but I would advise against it. The earlier you have it done the better off your puppy will be. Yes every vet has their own cropping style so you need to do your research now! Some will do whatever style you like and others are set in their ways. They are good at one style and that's what you get.
If you are serious about having your pups ears cropped please do your homework carefully. Ask the vet to tell you in detail what's involved with the crop procedure and all of the work you are going to need to do afterwards to ensure it turns out nicely. It's a big step and needs to be taken under careful consideration. I would insist (if the vet does not already provide this) that you be talked to about pain medication not only while the dog is under their care, but yours once you get it home.
pocketpit

Postby JB » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:17 pm

Ya, that's too late.

Sorry. You missed your only window of opportunity. Now leave your dog's ears alone.
JB

Postby Kara » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:21 pm

My vet will not crop ears past 12 weeks of age. He will only crop between 9-12 weeks... thats it. I know some say up to 16 weeks, so I guess it depends on the vet. I know a person who had their presa's ears cropped at 8 months old!! :crybaby: Of course the ears do not stand now.... I can't beleive that any vet would do ears that late, but they did!! :twisted:
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Cropping ears

Postby Alexandra&Diego » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:56 pm

donblaze wrote:my girlfriends puppy is 13 weeks old is that too old to crop her ears? I can tell shes gonna be the size of a 40 pounder but weigh like 55 her parents are beautiful and ripped. But she got these big floppy ears and she looks so silly. My other dog has a huge head so I kept the ears and IM glad I did, but this one needs them cropped. also I see different styles of crops. is that just all dogs are done be a diferent vet and they come out different or are there different ways of doing it?? ps I'll be posting pics very soon :thumbsup:

Here in the Netherlands there's a law against cropping :roll: Tail, ears, everything stays on the dog :thumbsup:

But some vets still do it :roll: Pups at 5/6 weeks and sometimes even dogs that ar older than 1 year :roll:

I have a Staffie with big floppy ears :)) And i love those floppy things :))
Alexandra&Diego

Postby Anshey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:27 pm

My dog had his ears cropped at four months and they stand perfect.
Anshey

Postby cycobully » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:15 am

Alexandra&Diego wrote:
Here in the Netherlands there's a law against cropping :roll: Tail, ears, everything stays on the dog

Same here in Australia. I'm used to natural ears because ear cropping has never been allowed in this country (to my knowledge). Tail docking was only outlawed very very recently.

I am babysitting a bull terrier (English) with cropped ears at the moment, but her's are like that by accident. She was mauled by an APBT who got into her pen, and the damage was so bad the vet had to remove the few shreds that were left of her ears and they are now cropped right down to her head. It looks very, very odd on a bull terrier!
cycobully

Postby CreeksideKennels » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:54 am

It depends on the vet.. My Vet does ear cropping from 12-14 weeks old.. Some Vets will do it when they are older but then the price goes up... So it depends on your Vet so call and find out.. I had to make the appointment 2 weeks ahead of time..
CreeksideKennels

Postby Demo Dick » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:35 am

It never fails. Somone asks a question regarding ear cropping and gets a bunch of replies telling them not to do it. NO ONE ASKED what everyone's opinion of ear cropping was. The question was whether or not it was too late to do it. This subject has been beat to death on this board in threads specifically geared towards the pros and cons of ear cropping. Please allow a poster's thread to go answered. If you want to start yet another ear cropping debate, start another, separate thread.

Ther answer is yes, you can still get it done, but you'll likely be pushing it soon. But PLEASE go to a vet experienced in cropping Bulldog ears. Just because the vet has cropped Dobe's and Boxers does not mean they can do a Pit Bull crop correctly.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby pocketpit » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:57 pm

:goodpost:
pocketpit

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:09 pm

Normally I'm with you on this one Demo. Happens all the time and it drives me nuts...I don't really see that in this thread though. I took the few off hand comments from folks in other countries as conversation as they have no choice or experience in the matter, the rest were answers to his question. Or did people delete thier posts? :huh?:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:01 pm

donblaze wrote:my girlfriends puppy is 13 weeks old is that too old to crop her ears?

No, it's not too late, but it's getting close.

Some vets will crop up to 6 months or so, but those vets are rare.

Excellent point on the crops as well, if you are in an area where AKC Boxers, Great Danes or Dobermans are common, make SURE you don't end up with one of those crops!!!! *gag* Yes, I have seen a Pit Bull who was the lucky winner of an AKC show crop, it looked completely rediculous.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby blover27 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:09 pm

moto1320 wrote:Normally I'm with you on this one Demo. Happens all the time and it drives me nuts...I don't really see that in this thread though. I took the few off hand comments from folks in other countries as conversation as they have no choice or experience in the matter, the rest were answers to his question. Or did people delete thier posts? :huh?:

yeah if i am seeing everything that was here...but it is possible i am not :dunno:
blover27

Postby jcd410 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:57 pm

I just got back from the vet today to get my 12 wk pup's ears cropped. The people told me that they wouldn't do it and wait until 4 mts (16 wks) because thats when all the wrinkles in the ear would be visible and they could make the best cut from that.
jcd410

Postby JessaNGizmo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:17 am

Demo Dick wrote:It never fails. Somone asks a question regarding ear cropping and gets a bunch of replies telling them not to do it. NO ONE ASKED what everyone's opinion of ear cropping was. The question was whether or not it was too late to do it. This subject has been beat to death on this board in threads specifically geared towards the pros and cons of ear cropping. Please allow a poster's thread to go answered. If you want to start yet another ear cropping debate, start another, separate thread.

Ther answer is yes, you can still get it done, but you'll likely be pushing it soon. But PLEASE go to a vet experienced in cropping Bulldog ears. Just because the vet has cropped Dobe's and Boxers does not mean they can do a Pit Bull crop correctly.

Demo Dick

:goodpost:

You just have to call the vet you plan on going to and ask what their rules are. I wouldnt know because when I got giz I was way to busy to think about her cute little ears being cropped but with grunt i didnt get him soon enough...So its just a preference!
JessaNGizmo

Next

Return to Health Issues