Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:34 pm

BullyBreedLover wrote:Barb,
What are the problems that you eventually see with the canidae? I just switched from science diet to canidae. I love it and the dogs seem to love it also....Just wondering what you ment about trouble down the line...

Sonya

Concreterose and Xgirl pretty much hit it on the head. The fact that there is sunflower oil, and a lot of it in the food isn't good for the dogs. It makes them itch, and all the dogs I know on the food long term end up chewing, scratching and major skin issues. They need to have a LOT more omega 3's (fish oil) in their diet as well.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:45 pm

Sean W. wrote:Are you serious when you say I could possibly end up feeding them even less than 3 cups of kibble a day for dogs their size or larger just based on the type of kibble itself? That would amaze me! Yeah, I feed the Lamb and Rice formula. How often do you guys actually feed your dogs. I've heard everything from once a day to 3 times a day to once every other day.

I feed twice a day. I have a 90 pound pup, he's 19 months. He's still filling out and he eats 1 3/4 cups in the morning and raw at night. He's very active and maintains a nice lean healthy weight. I have a 70 pound adult and she eats 3/4 of a cup in the morning and raw at night. She maintains a perfect weight at that amount. Very high end foods may cost you when you buy them? But in the long run? You pay about half or better of what you are currently feeding. The density of the food means lease feed, less poop. The quality of the food means fewer medical issues long term. Try it for 3 months, if you don't see an improvement, go back to low grade.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby wouda » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:10 am

Is Nutra Nuggets from costco decent food ? this is what i have been feeding bud and he is getting nice and thick. i also throw 1 can of Nutro Large breed food too. Is Nutro food good ?
wouda

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:11 pm

I Fed and Have fed My Dogs For Years NUTRO (Natural Choice or MAX). I Had a Bad Experience With a Eukanuba Where My Dogs Hair Fell Out (Bald Spots Everywhere) & Ended Up With Really Un-Healthy Looking Skin & Coat.. So I switched to NUTRO and I have Never Had a Problem with it with Any Of My Dogs. They All Did Really Well On it (No By-Products or Corn or Any other S**T) They Looked Good and Loved It Plus a Real PLUS In My Book Was There was A LOT Less "Mess" To Clean Up! :thumbsup: As More Of the Food Actually Stuck With Them!

I Just No I Will Never Feed Any Dog (Or Cat For that Matter) ANY Food With By-Products, Corn or Any Other "Garbage"

Postby wouda » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:23 pm

ya i need to get away from the nutra nuggets from costco it has some by- products and meal made sh**. So Nutro from petco or something will be alot better . ?after reading this, http://www.healthyplanetrx.com/articles.asp?id=137
I REALLY WANT TO CHANGE HIS FOOD>!
any suggestions on a really good food source, im still fighting this mange ordeal too, its getting worse too. i have well over 1000 $ into bud and i dont wont him to have to deal with any more suffering.

Thanks anyone who can help http://www.healthyplanetrx.com/articles.asp?id=137
wouda

Postby X-girl » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:33 pm

wouda wrote:any suggestions on a really good food source, im still fighting this mange ordeal too, its getting worse too. i have well over 1000 $ into bud and i dont wont him to have to deal with any more suffering.

Thanks anyone who can help

There are 100's of posts in this section about recommended foods, including this very sticky we're in (top 5 kibbles) and lengthy posts in the resource section to help you learn why the good stuff is good and why the good stuff is bad.

Please read these posts. They will help you.
Last edited by X-girl on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:16 pm

MonkeyGirl wrote:I Fed and Have fed My Dogs For Years NUTRO (Natural Choice or MAX). I Had a Bad Experience With a Eukanuba Where My Dogs Hair Fell Out (Bald Spots Everywhere) & Ended Up With Really Un-Healthy Looking Skin & Coat.. So I switched to NUTRO and I have Never Had a Problem with it with Any Of My Dogs. They All Did Really Well On it (No By-Products or Corn or Any other S**T) They Looked Good and Loved It Plus a Real PLUS In My Book Was There was A LOT Less "Mess" To Clean Up! :thumbsup: As More Of the Food Actually Stuck With Them!

I Just No I Will Never Feed Any Dog (Or Cat For that Matter) ANY Food With By-Products, Corn or Any Other "Garbage"

Nutro Max has corn in it. You might want to re-read that label. They claim no ground yellow corn but they use corn gluten meal........
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby wouda » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:10 pm

thanks i will look for more resources
wouda

Postby nags » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:43 pm

Hmm.. I just bought some new food and not sure if I got the right one... I went with the Nutro Max shown here

http://www.nutroproducts.com/maxdogminichunk.asp

Is this good?

I got the smaller bite cuz my dog is still a pup
nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:04 pm

It's crap. It's got grain fractions(flour, bran and gluten), it's got corn, an unspecified fat source, yeast, and natural flavors. It has two souces of iron with one of them being friggen RUST. I use ferrous sulfate on my lawn to control moss, and iron oxide is rust. Take the food back and tell them he wouldn't eat it. Get your money back. Stay away from Nutro products, they are awful.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Natural Flavors, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Buttermilk, Dried Kelp, Dried Egg Product, Lecithin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Oxide.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby nags » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:17 pm

barbponys wrote:It's crap. It's got grain fractions(flour, bran and gluten), it's got corn, an unspecified fat source, yeast, and natural flavors. It has two souces of iron with one of them being friggen RUST. I use ferrous sulfate on my lawn to control moss, and iron oxide is rust. Take the food back and tell them he wouldn't eat it. Get your money back. Stay away from Nutro products, they are awful.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Natural Flavors, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Buttermilk, Dried Kelp, Dried Egg Product, Lecithin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Oxide.

Oh, I was pretty sure other people in this thread said it was good :dunno:

How bout Nutro Ultra?
nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby Sean W. » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:28 pm

Ok, what about Blue Buffalo? It's sold at Petsmart and should be readily available to nearly anyone. I've checked it's ingrediants against the other brands that's been suggested and it seems just as good. Somebody tell me what's up...

Here's the Chicken flavor:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye , Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Alfalfa, Herring Oil, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Glucosamine, Spirulina, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement , Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Natural Color, Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pentothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite.

:dunno: It's looks good to me.
Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:27 pm

nags wrote:
barbponys wrote:It's crap. It's got grain fractions(flour, bran and gluten), it's got corn, an unspecified fat source, yeast, and natural flavors. It has two souces of iron with one of them being friggen RUST. I use ferrous sulfate on my lawn to control moss, and iron oxide is rust. Take the food back and tell them he wouldn't eat it. Get your money back. Stay away from Nutro products, they are awful.

Ingredients

Oh, I was pretty sure other people in this thread said it was good :dunno:

How bout Nutro Ultra?

I don't like Nutro. Even the Ultra is only baby steps better than the Natural Choice.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:30 pm

Sean W. wrote:Ok, what about Blue Buffalo? It's sold at Petsmart and should be readily available to nearly anyone. I've checked it's ingrediants against the other brands that's been suggested and it seems just as good. Somebody tell me what's up...

Here's the Chicken flavor:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye , Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Alfalfa, Herring Oil, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Glucosamine, Spirulina, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement , Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Natural Color, Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pentothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite.

:dunno: It's looks good to me.

It doesn't read bad. The proof would be in the pudding. My feeling is, anyone that sells to PetSmart, and has that kinda of enormous production requirment, is cutting corners. You can't produce 100's of tons per production day and not.............. That's my cynical point of view though.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby BullyBreedLover » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:55 am

How about Premium Edge. Heatagold feeds the skin and coat formula and it seems pretty good. I was thinking of mixing this food with canidae. What do you think? Heartagolds dogs seem to GLEAM! :peace:
BullyBreedLover

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues