RAW HIDE

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

RAW HIDE

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:22 pm

Ok, I have heard a lot of things about this and so I am posting here to get your opinions on it. Do you think it is good or bad for dogs? I have a ton of Chew-eez that are rawhide strips put out by Alpo and I have been occassionally giving them to the dogs, all except Hooligan, because she tries to swallow them whole...the other dogs just chew on them til they get a little piece off then eat the little piece.

Have you guys had any bad experiences with it?
Hooligan

Postby jmann4 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:30 pm

I don't feed my dogs rawhide because they are very hard for dogs to digest.
jmann4

Postby phez718 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:32 pm

I don't give rawhide, Casey gets the marrow bones with filling from PetSmart. He has had one for 2 1/2 months now and he can't get all the filling out lol
phez718

Postby damienApbt » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:46 pm

when rod was younger some one gave him raw hide. those things are nastey. they get all gooey and stringy. all he did was swallow it and im sure it stays the same way in there. its a major cause of blockage (sp?)
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:48 pm

They are not too good for dogs. The higher end pet store in town won't even sell them. Once in a very blue moon I let the dogs have them and only USA made. Most of them are imported and there have been problems with dogs contracting illnesses from the curing process and something involving milk. Sorry I can't be more specific. I stopped paying attention to that when I stopped using them.

Other reasons: My male Riley would eat the giant ones that were the size of my arm in like 20 mins-they were like crack. He would also try to remove the face of anyone that came within 20 feet of him while he had one... only with rawhide. Daisy and Doc will beat the living snot out of each other over them....again only over rawhide. IMO, and many stories, dogs just get wierd over them. They are an extreme rarity at my house. Last but not least you can't get the mushy slimy rawhide stuff out of anything once it has dried like cement. :yucky:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:50 pm

try pulling out the other end. :yucky:
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:53 pm

:yucky: roflmao
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:24 pm

damienApbt wrote:try pulling out the other end. :yucky:

Ouch! :roll:
jmann4

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:31 pm

damienApbt wrote:try pulling out the other end. :yucky:

Thanx for that visual, Damien :yucky:
Hooligan

Postby elegy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:49 pm

i give luce rawhide sometimes, usually the vanilla flavored braided rings. they take her awhile to chew through, and she's a slow and methodical chewer- she doesn't gulp pieces down- so i don't worry too much about blockages. she leaves little rawhide crumbs everywhere....

mostly she gets raw knuckle bones from the butcher though. cheaper and last longer. but OH the GAS.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby yuk237 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:06 pm

A relative gave Tank rawhide once and then at three in the mourning he woke us up to go out and threw it all up all over our front yard
:yucky:

I heard molded rawhide is good, but its hard to find I can only find it on the internet.
yuk237

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:30 pm

I'm guilty of giving dogs the rawhide from time to time. I give them sparingly, though, and I don't let Reba have them because she's an idiot and will try to swallow them whole. I've had to fight her to let me pull them out of the back of her throat, all slimy and nasty. Yuck.

I'm trying to wean myself (and the dogs) off using them as pacifiers. I'm trying to go with raw bones and Kongs only, but there are some days when they're driving ya nuts, and you know a rawhide will shut them up for quite a while . . .
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:47 pm

I almost lost 2 dogs to rawhide, one ate half of one and couldn't get it back up and the other choked an a flip. I'm scared to think what would have happened if I hadn't been around in both cases. After the first incident I didn't allow rawhide in the house. The second happened at a friends house. Ended up reaching down the dogs throat. Poor dog.

We sell rawhide but not much, I talk everyone out of it if I can. I wish we didn't carry it but.........it's not my store.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby concreterose » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:41 pm

I don't do rawhide at all. Pookie used to throw up big chunks all the time. And I've heard really scary stories about how they're preserved. And the ones that aren't made in the US. It is tempting sometimes when you want to shut them up for a while, but the cons of giving them MUCH outweigh keeping them quiet for while. I just take time to stuff Kongs and buy soup bones(much cheaper too...rawhide's gotten expensive!)
concreterose
Regulator

Postby PitbullGirl » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:58 pm

We don't 'do' rawhide...my two would gulp it down and puke it up. (same reason we quite buying chew hooves) They now only get the huge Mammoth bones from Petsmart...real bones and they last quite a while with the dogs trying to hollow them out!
PitbullGirl

Next

Return to Health Issues