RAW HIDE

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby SKoth » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:46 am

If you don't want to do rawhide Bully Stick or sometimes called Bull Pizzles are a great alternative. Pits can rip through them easily but not as quick as rawhide. They are great for their teeth and don't get strecthy and gooy like rawhide. The only downside is sometimes they smell!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:46 am

SKoth wrote:If you don't want to do rawhide Bully Stick or sometimes called Bull Pizzles are a great alternative. Pits can rip through them easily but not as quick as rawhide. They are great for their teeth and don't get strecthy and gooy like rawhide. The only downside is sometimes they smell!

SOMETIMES???? roflmao

it takes luce a whole 45 minutes to eat an entire bully stick. the money to chewing time ratio is not in my favor with those, but she likes them, so i get them sometimes.

question about those bones you can buy in the store-- someone mentioned "mammoth bone"-- are they smoked?
elegy
Bully Ambassador

no rawhide here, either

Postby sundaygirl » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:50 am

too many scary stories about blockages and also I think they were making him gag and sometimes puke. we took the rawhides away and now only give bully sticks for chews. I'm partial to the ones tied up like knots because they seem to last longer. I do have to watch when he is almost done with it though because he'll swallow the last chunk, even if it's several inches long.

question about the 'real' bones - I haven't given him those because I've heard they can splinter. thoughts or feedback on this?
sundaygirl

Postby SKoth » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:26 pm

elegy-
You should try ordering them from www.kninekountry.com Those guys rock! Their sticks are the very best price for the quailty! I have found that they don't smell as bad as some cheaper versions. I think knine kountry was rec. by the Whole Dog Journal because of the quality in which there sticks are prepared.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kara » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:40 pm

I do not feed my two raw hide bones.. but when i do buy them treats, i am always looking for a good chewing time/ money ratio. My mom gives her husky and doodle bully sticks and they last them for ever!! She told me about them.. I went and bought some... $6 each!! Ouch... and Taurus' was gone in 30 mins... Jada's ( she was only about 9 months at the time) one hour!! Not enough bang for my buck there!! lol
They currently have bones that were bought at Super Pet by my mom for her dogs. Her two couldn't even pick these bones up they were so big, so she gave them to us. They have had these bones for 6 months!! Im not exagerating either... They each chew on them for about an hour a day, and they're still working on them. They are hollow inside, but they have a smoky smell... so I think the inside tastes smoked...
I also give them soup bones, I go to the butcher and buy a bag ( 4-5) for $2 .... so that is defenitly worth it. The onlt problem is that it gives them the runs... so they dont get them very often!!
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Erika » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:05 pm

I have given my dogs bully sticks before, and I havent noticed a smell. I went into a new pet shop the other day and they had "bull pizzles" that were literally like 3 feet long. I didnt know bull urethras were THAT big.... :eek:

dont know if this has already been said, (too lazy to go and read) but I like cow hooves. Get the thickest one though, cuz the tips can chip. and a warning, STAY AWAY FROM THE YELLOW ONES!!! they literally smell like poop when they get soggy.... :yucky:
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby phez718 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:26 pm

How about the knuckle bones you can get at PetSmart? Are those ok? I was at PetSmart and Casey was sniffing and nibbling at one so I bought it for him, I'm such a push over!
phez718

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:43 pm

I don't get rawhide, I've had too many dogs swallow hunks of it. Now I use real raw marrow bones, I get them frozen from the grocer. I do notice that while Xanny's teeth look nice and clean, I see definite wear on the tips of her lower canines. I gave Xanny a nice raw beef short rib one day, about 4 inches long, she immediately tried to swallow it whole, and gacked up her whole dinner all over the rug.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:25 pm

I don't do cow hooves or the smoked bones. The smoking of the bones makes them very hard for them to digest, there's more trouble with impactions. Sash isn't the strongest chewer but she still shatters them. I'm not willing to risk the splinters or what ever with that. They get the trimmings from the horses feet, with 4 horses that makes quite a bit of chewing for the kids. Since they are fresh they don't shatter and they all love them.

Garion is far more aggressive, he chews real hard on the raw bones, when he first got them he had the runs but he's fine, took about 3 bones and he's used to them now. He gets bully sticks and cow hooves at the store, no competition from Sash and Goliath, and he's real slow about chewing on them. With time I will cut them out too.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:02 am

I can't find anything that lasts but the tough nylabones. Bully sticks only get me 15-20 mins. Big rawhide lasts a long time, which is why I hated to see it go. The black Kongs only last about a week. I think next they are getting BBQ flavored bricks :tongue: . I want one of those tire biter toys next, I hope they will hold up.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Erika » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:10 am

They wont. ;) been there, done that. make a helluva mess too.
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:11 am

Xanny's favorite toy is a hockey puck. They have about a 15 minute life span. Now I use them as a training tool, and don't let her just sit and chew on them, since she crapped out some nice rubber bits one day.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Erika » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:10 am

Tyranny had great fun the other day finding a brand new baseball and skinning it like a deer. I had to stop her when she got the hide off though. Ive never seen the inside of a baseball before. :))
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby zombie » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:28 pm

mad cow :twisted:....my buddys dog ate one whole and it tore up his insides and killled him from internal bleeding...rawhide is the devil!!!
zombie

Raw hides/ bones

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:42 pm

I used to give rawhides to my dogs until they all got gastro infections from the stuff that was used to bleach the rawhides. i too almost lost a dog to choking on the stuff. i tried the smoked bones from petco/petsmart they stunk too, the bones would splinter like toothpicks when my dogs chewed them, my rottie can break a cow thigh in exactly 6 minutes (i timed it as i couldnt believe how fast he would do it) . i only give natural hollow bones with frozen peanut butter inside w/ dry kibble or dog biscuits inside. it is much healthier and most dogs cant crack or break the natural bones. but donot boil the bones at all, that makes them weak. i take hollow natural bones from petco and scoop out the junk inside, as its not real food, and put peanut butter and stuff inside then pop themin the freezer for a while, it keeps my dogs busy for a while.and you can reuse the bones again and again.
Maryellen

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues