Broken Secondary Canine.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Broken Secondary Canine.....

Postby Modena » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:29 pm

Well.....

We were playing catch in the house, and Modena ran into the metal dinning room chair ( she is by no means graceful wiht her step) chipping off the tip of her secondary canine. I felt horrible, and took her to the vet the next day. Well to make a long story short I have an appointment with a doggy dentist (tomorrow actually) that my normal vet referred me to. Our vet said that the pulp was exposed which could eventually cause some issues if bacteria was to get up int here and that it may need a cap or be pulled. So wish me luck tomorrow.

I was actually just wondering if there was anyone out there that may have a similar story or happening, and that could maybe let me know what the outcome was for them. Thanks..... :run:
Modena

Postby pocketpit » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:10 pm

How old is your baby again? It's very common for younger pups to break their canines before teething. Depending on her age I wouldn't bother to have it pulled. If it's not a permanent tooth, you should'nt have any issues with it being pulled.
pocketpit

Postby Modena » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:14 pm

She will be 11 months old, so yes it is a permanent tooth. I am not sure if it is going to be pulled or capped. He said that it would be up to waht the dentist thinks can be done. I would rather not have it pulled- being that it is a useful tooth. Poor thing. I hate to see her in possible pain. :((
Modena

Postby pocketpit » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:57 pm

Bummer :sad:
I say cap it it you can afford it. I know it costs quite a bit to do around here. My friend's Dobe has two or three capped teeth and those shiny metal fangs were kinda cool. roflmao
Last edited by pocketpit on Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
pocketpit

Postby Modena » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Well my vet thinks it may be cheaper to cap it than to pull it b/c the root is so deep on tha tooth. So I will find out tomorrow at 10am :(
They actually cap it in silver......omg...I am not sure about that
Modena

Postby chalkline » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:59 am

That sux, Stax teeth are all chipped up too. The vet said that he was probably a rock chewer (has anyone heard of this??) and that we have to keep a watch because one of them is pretty bad and it may eventually need to be pulled.

Just think, if she gets a silver fang she can pose on the cover of a rap CD...her with the silver fang and the rapper with the gold teeth lol
chalkline

Postby chalkline » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:06 am

Nevermind about the rock chewing thing. I found the rock chewing thread. Thanks
chalkline

Update

Postby Modena » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:49 am

Well I dropped Modena off at 10 am and they called to tell me that the best thing to do would be a root canal. I should be able to pick her up around 2pm- so I am anxious to get her back home. It is hard when you have to leave them :frown:
Modena

Postby moto1320 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:17 pm

Damn. That sucks...I have to have one too 8( . Keep us posted.
moto1320
Regulator

we are home now

Postby Modena » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:42 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know we made it home from the dentist....and everything went well. She is still pretty druged up, and I had to lift her in and out of the car. Not that easy (I am weak) with 64 lbs. She cried all the way home for the 1 hour car ride- and she looks so sad. I have to give her 3 pills 3 times a day and a pain pill when needed. So I am going to stay home from work with her tomorrow too- just so she isn't in her crate all day.
He also told me that the hard Nylabones that we buy (well some of us) the ones that aren't flixable at all- can also chip their teeth. So I am taking hers away. This vet bill just cost me $654, and they did quote me$650- $800 but he said it was so easy that he (young tooth) charged me the low end.
I also confirmed the tennis ball topic on one of hte threads.....the glue being dangerous when mixed with moisture (for those who read it) is false, BUT he did say that due to the balls being made for tennis...they are rough and can wear down the teeth. Especially the dogs that just chew on them after they are cracked and they squish easier.....that is like taking a file to the teeth. If you want to read more look at the thread under Health about the tennis balls.
Well that is it for now.....she is passed out on the sofa downstairs so I am going to eat and sit with her :)
Modena

Postby blover27 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:44 pm

glad modena will make a full recovery :thumbsup: thanks for the info about the tennis balls too!
blover27

Postby concreterose » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:02 pm

Glad to hear that she is doing well!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Boo439 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:16 pm

Yay Modena! Glad she pulled through alright :)) You almost lost her jk. That's just how I am about every minor injury my dogs get :)
Boo439

Postby Demo Dick » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:37 pm

Metal fangs RULE. I saw a police dog that had one and thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Like the Six Million Dollar Dog or something.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Return to Health Issues