Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Best All Purpose Timberwolf

Postby boots111 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:38 pm

I'm going to give the Timberwolf food a try, but I'm no scientist and on the site the descriptions seem to be the same for each kind of food. For an all-purpose food, for pits that exercise on a daily basis (pretty intensely), but are not doing competition or anything like that, whcih one am I looking at? I just want to provide them with the best building blocks to do their treadmill and springpole, but they are still just house dogs.
Thanks
boots111

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:50 pm

The elk or bison are good middle of the road formulas. If they are liked equally, you can alternate feeding them.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Igraine » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:50 pm

Reading this post has got me all worried now. . .

I've been trying to up Rosie's food quality, which will hopefully help out with some of her skin sensitivities. Would you mind, Barb, telling me your opinion of a food I just bought, Solid Gold Hund n' Flocken? These are the ingredients:

Lamb | Lamb Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Menhaden Fish Meal | Canola Oil | Flax Meal | Amaranth | Blueberries | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Thank you for any help you can provide. . .
Igraine

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:05 am

Igraine wrote:Reading this post has got me all worried now. . .

I've been trying to up Rosie's food quality, which will hopefully help out with some of her skin sensitivities. Would you mind, Barb, telling me your opinion of a food I just bought, Solid Gold Hund n' Flocken? These are the ingredients:

Lamb | Lamb Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Menhaden Fish Meal | Canola Oil | Flax Meal | Amaranth | Blueberries | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Thank you for any help you can provide. . .

Hund 'N' Flocken is better than a lot of foods out there. But for what you pay? Cracked Pearled Barley is as bad as white rice, as is the oatmeal. Both are highly processed and far from whole. Rice bran is filler, nothing more. For that kind of money, I wouldn't want to see that in there. There isn't much in the way of extras, fruits, veggies or kelp/algea. I've fed this food, I wasn't happy with it.............. I've been offered the food for free, I still didn't feed it........... For all that's worth.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Igraine » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:08 am

Thank you! I'll know better next time. . . :thumbsup:
Igraine

Postby gimmethagoods » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:44 pm

What about Eukanuba large breed? been feeding koda since day 1 and he has great color. Any feed back except for the guy whos pup developed bald patches(sorry to hear that bud)
gimmethagoods

Postby barbponys » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 am

It isn't worth the money you pay for it. It's made by Iams, Iams is in grocery stores, Eukanuba should be too. They have always charged a hell of a lot more for it, and I've never been able to figrue out why.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby HartagoldAST » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:50 pm

jesseandalecia wrote:Can we see an average price per bag on these? I think $50 a bag is a lot for some us. How bout average pit bull diets? Like 30lb. bag of so-and-so is $xx on average and lasts however long, etc.

You're right......and sorry, but I'd have to get a 2nd job to feed 4 dogs with $50 a bag food lol. And honestly, I don't see the need - especially when they are still needing to ADD salmon oil (NOT cheap) and other stuff to the food.

I feed the Premium Edge Skin & Coat formula, which is somewhere around $30 for a 35 pound bag retail (I get it at wholesale price, even better!!). My dogs eat 2-3 cups a day, no supplements needed. (girls eat 1c twice daily, pres eats 1-1/4 to 1-1/2c twice daily).

Group 4th at the beginning of September....... 2 weeks later he takes on a UKC show...... handled by his daddy Tim, getting 2 BEST IN SHOW wins on the first day (multi-breed show), second day Best of Winners finishing his CH, then moves up to the CH class for the second show and wins that too........ When PE stops working for me, I'll switch. Until then, I see no need to spend twice as much for their food. :peace:
HartagoldAST

Postby freak on a leash » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 am

HartagoldAST wrote:
jesseandalecia wrote:Can we see an average price per bag on these? I think $50 a bag is a lot for some us. How bout average pit bull diets? Like 30lb. bag of so-and-so is $xx on average and lasts however long, etc.

You're right......and sorry, but I'd have to get a 2nd job to feed 4 dogs with $50 a bag food lol. And honestly, I don't see the need - especially when they are still needing to ADD salmon oil (NOT cheap) and other stuff to the food.

I feed the Premium Edge Skin & Coat formula, which is somewhere around $30 for a 35 pound bag retail (I get it at wholesale price, even better!!). My dogs eat 2-3 cups a day, no supplements needed. (girls eat 1c twice daily, pres eats 1-1/4 to 1-1/2c twice daily).

Group 4th at the beginning of September....... 2 weeks later he takes on a UKC show...... handled by his daddy Tim, getting 2 BEST IN SHOW wins on the first day (multi-breed show), second day Best of Winners finishing his CH, then moves up to the CH class for the second show and wins that too........ When PE stops working for me, I'll switch. Until then, I see no need to spend twice as much for their food. :peace:

Wow, thats a great looking pit you've got there. I'm happy to see a dog in such great condition as yours without shelling out the big bucks for these foods that cost an arm and a leg. It seems as if your not shelling out the big bucks, your dog is automatically un-fit. For those of you who are able to afford/willing to shell those big bucks, thats good. I'm not knockin you for that. But all this, "Oh, this and that is bad", "Thats just filler", "They sell those in the grocery store"... I'm sorry, but who gives a fizzle! I don't have that much money, does that not qualify me to own a happy, healthy dog like I do now? The key to having a healthy dog, goes for the same as being healthy yourself. Get out there and fizzle [i]EXCERCISE[/]. So a Human can sit on his/her ass all day and eat celery sticks, and fruits all day.. That still wouldn't make him/her any healthier than a person who excercises everyday, but eats McDonalds for lunch.
freak on a leash

Postby rgyoung777 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:38 pm

freak on a leash wrote:Wow, thats a great looking pit you've got there. I'm happy to see a dog in such great condition as yours without shelling out the big bucks for these foods that cost an arm and a leg. It seems as if your not shelling out the big bucks, your dog is automatically un-fit. For those of you who are able to afford/willing to shell those big bucks, thats good. I'm not knockin you for that. But all this, "Oh, this and that is bad", "Thats just filler", "They sell those in the grocery store"... I'm sorry, but who gives a fizzle! I don't have that much money, does that not qualify me to own a happy, healthy dog like I do now? The key to having a healthy dog, goes for the same as being healthy yourself. Get out there and flipping [i]EXCERCISE[/]. So a Human can sit on his/her ass all day and eat celery sticks, and fruits all day.. That still wouldn't make him/her any healthier than a person who excercises everyday, but eats McDonalds for lunch.

Feeding a dog low quality food is not the same thing as a person who only eats McDonald's for lunch. It is the same thing as a person who eats McDonald's for every meal.

Exercise is only PART of the equation. You can't put complete garbage in (Purina, Kibbles 'n' Bits, Ol' Roy) and expect to get a 100% fit dog out of it, no matter how much exercise it gets. FUEL is crucial.

If you had one person who ate a balanced, healthy diet and another with an equivalent metabolism and build who ate McDonald's every day for every meal, and both were training for a marathon using the exact same training regimen, who do you think would place ahead of whom? It matters what we put into our bodies. You can't eat complete crap day in and day out and expect exercise to keep you healthy.

A person can also have good muscle tone, exercise daily and still be at risk for heart disease and high cholesterol because of their diet. Outward appearance is also only part of the equation.

No one is trying to make you feel like a terrible owner for not feeding your dog a premium food. Find a food that works for you and your dog, give the dog the best you can with what you can afford, and don't worry about it from that point on. If your dog is happy and healthy, you're doing something right. There is absolutely no reason to be defensive about it if you're doing the best you can.

HAG found a food that works for her and her dogs, and I applaud her for that. The food she feeds is better than Purina, Kibbles 'n' Bits and Ol' Roy. It is not a grocery store brand.

I don't have much money either, but I am happy to spend some of what I do have on a premium kibble. I am happy with the results I've seen. My dog has always had sufficient exercise and been in good health, and since the food switch, her energy levels and overall physical shape have improved a great deal. That's all the proof I need.

Not all dog foods are created equal, and that is why it is important to analyze ingredients and identify which were included only as bulk. Some people make canine nutrition a high priority in their lives, and make a point of researching ingredients. They are the ones who "give a fizzle." Just because it is of high importance to them does not make you a bad owner for not feeling the same way.

No one's judging you, so there's no need to be defensive. Just feed the best food you can for your budget and leave it at that.
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby JaysGirl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:43 pm

I've been wanting to get Blade on the B.A.R.F. diet, but I have concerns about it. When we first got Blade, he was on Science Diet. After about 2 months, we started noticing "spots" on his coat and skin. At first, I was worried that it was a type of mange. We were told to try a different dog food, so we switched to Pro Plan. He has been on it since then and has done fine. His skin cleared up and hasn't had a spot since. I read the post that said Pro Plan has been found to have traces of Phenobarbatol (sp?) in it and researched into it further. This is supposedly a reputable dog food. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I read about it and others like it. (My sister has epilepsy...She was on Phenobarbatol years ago and this is one med. that she is highly allergic to and can't take.) Well, yesterday after reading (a lot) about different foods, I decided to purchase Great Life Canine Raw/Kibble (Chicken and Lamb formulas). It should be here in about a week. I will let everyone know how Blade does with it. Maybe one day I will feel comfortable enough to go BARF, but until then, I'm hoping that this food will be better for him than the current food he is eating. Thanks to everyone for all the information. It helps a bunch!!! :thumbsup:
JaysGirl

Postby barbponys » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 pm

You can't be serious with your comment about Mcdonalds being just as good as fresh food..........

Information has been put out about food. If you don't like it or believe it that's your prerogative. It's taken years to learn and grow, to get to where I am today. If you don't like what I have to say, that's fine. I'm not judging anyone, circumstances and buget restrictions will only allow so much. But if someone asks about a food, and it's crap, I'm going to be honest. You don't have to agree or like it. My statements are based on years of experience, not just opinion.

Being closed minded isn't a very good way to go through life. Are you also one to believe what the media tells you? If so you must be for BSL. Pits are, after all vicious, blood thirsty, child eating animals. They should all be rounded up and shot.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Sean W. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:44 am

IMHO it was better to take that extra 10-15 bucks I would've spent on movie rentals or fast food one weekend and put it toward my dogs quality kibble. Usually, the difference between good and bad selections is only a few dollars. I'm not rich by any means but $15 extra every other month or so is negligible to the pocket and immeasurable to the health of your dog. Again, JMHO. :dunno:
Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby JaysGirl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 am

Sean W. wrote:IMHO it was better to take that extra 10-15 bucks I would've spent on movie rentals or fast food one weekend and put it toward my dogs quality kibble. Usually, the difference between good and bad selections is only a few dollars. I'm not rich by any means but $15 extra every other month or so is negligible to the pocket and immeasurable to the health of your dog. Again, JMHO. :dunno:

I totally agree!! :thumbsup: My dogs are like my kids and I want the very best for them!!
JaysGirl

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:58 pm

May I ask what opinions are for Solid Gold? I'm currently getting my dogs off of crap pedigree, and onto something a bit healthier. I looked for timberwolf- can't find it. It was a choice for me between chicken soup for the doglovers soul, science diet, and solid gold. I took the S.G. wolf formula. First ingredient if Bison, followed by Salmon meal. Is this decent?
Ursa Arctos
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues