Anybody switch to Wellness from a different food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby pollypop » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:37 pm

damienApbt wrote:i did it gradually with rod. i waited till i was close to the end of my IAMs then mixed in the wellness like 1/3 i guess then half then all. i didnt do it that long just long enough so that i wasn't squeegying rods BM's of the pavement :thumbsup: . i live in the city so i didnt want a grafhitti(sp?) artist on my hands

Dude, does your dog have the most sensitive stomach in the whole city? You sure talk about him spraypainting the town a lot. lol
pollypop

Postby concreterose » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:39 pm

roflmao
I was thinking the same things...my dogs must have tummies or iron...hardly anything gives them the runs.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:51 pm

pollypop wrote:
Dude, does your dog have the most sensitive stomach in the whole city? You sure talk about him spraypainting the town a lot. lol

lol
he's had his moments. memorable ones at that. he can get some good distance when he is in a way.

but with switching his food i knew i'd have a problem. if you know your dogs can handle it than its fine. you may be UNpleasantly surprised though

hes so used to soft poops, that he gets scared with the solid ones. runs away from them. as if its coming out sideways or something.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby elegy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:28 pm

pollypop wrote:
damienApbt wrote:i did it gradually with rod. i waited till i was close to the end of my IAMs then mixed in the wellness like 1/3 i guess then half then all. i didnt do it that long just long enough so that i wasn't squeegying rods BM's of the pavement :thumbsup: . i live in the city so i didnt want a grafhitti(sp?) artist on my hands

luce was like that when i first got her. i went through three different foods of varying quality before i ended up with canidae which stopped up her butt and now she's nice and normal. except on the first day of a new knuckle bone when she scrapes out all the marrow. then we have one exploding butt moment.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:40 pm

Hey Moto,
That sucks that Doc hasn't firmed up........ I was hoping he would have improved. I wonder if his system doesn't like the fruits and stuff in there. I'm trying to come up with something that might help but I keep coming up blank.

I know some of our customers had to quit using the Wellness just because of this problem. Oddly enough a few are pits too. I pray he clears up soon, I'll do more thinking in the mean time and let you know what I come up with.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby concreterose » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:55 pm

Well...it looks like going cold turkey was a bad idea. She was trying to get outside and *splat* crapped in the hallway going out the door. It gave her the runs. It must be some rich food...I've never had a problem switching her right over before. Guess I'll have to mix it.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:58 pm

Thanks alot for keeping us in mind Barb. I am way past worried. He's slowing down too. There are no more tests to do and it's getting stressful. Doc's slowed down a ton in the past few days and has been super well behaved. Which with a dog like him you dream of....and when it happens with a dog like him you have to assume that something is wrong. :roll:

I'm about to give up on kibble and go with straight lean hamburger, veggie mash, probiotics and just cross my fingers for a couple of weeks. Problem is that if he gets to eat raw then Daisy won't stand for it and that diet for 2 isn't in the budget. She'll snub her nose at kibble and I've seen her wait it out for up to 3 days. Don't want to go down that road again... :tongue:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:09 am

That's aweful to hear Moto. I wish i knew what to tell you. He's such a beautiful boy...........I pray Daisy will understand.

Would Daisy be happy with a sprinkle as top dressing? It may not be ideal but at least she gets a little and won't go on strike?

I'm thankful mine aren't like that. Now wait and see, I've said that and one of them will give it a try :twisted:
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby chewalotopus » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:19 am

I switched gradually from Canidae over to Wellness a couple of months ago...and just a couple of weeks ago I switched again - but just from the chicken Super 5 to the Lamb Super 5. Ever since I made the last gradual switch, my two older dogs have had the squirts...BUT, I think some kinda bug might be going around chicago, 'cause at least 5 other dogs we know are having the runs right now, too! :sad: :yucky:

All of my dog's coats have improved further (even after as much as they had improved from eating the Canidae) from the Wellness. In a couple of months I'm going to switch them over to the fish & sweet potato Super 5 Mix and see how they like that. :tongue:
chewalotopus

Postby Erika » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:12 am

FYI, It can take up to six weeks for a dogs system to get fully adjusted to a diet change, even MINOR ones.

My rednose male was allergic to chicken. had soft stool ALL the time. took me a while to figure it out. Pay attention to the protien source. Chicken is generally the MOST digestible, then beef, than lamb. I am not sure where fish falls into this.

Has anyone tried Solid Gold Wolfking? I LOVE IT. I could switch both of the pups cold turkey with no problem. It is a bison/salmon meal. I chose solid gold b/c they have research to back thier food up, and they are certified through the organic trade association AND have been AAFCO food tested. :thumbsup: Meaning, they do thier homework, and dont just throw cranberries or apples in there for the hell of it.
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Wellness

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:32 pm

How many people actually have their dogs on Wellness?? i think i am going to switch my GSD to that, she was on canidae and since the spring she has the red paws like Pookie and Miss Vicki. I am now wondering if thats the reason, i tried to weed out the possibilities, i wonder if its the Canidae?? shoot, and i just bought 2 40lb bags, i am 3/4 thru of the first bag.

Hey Brad, do you want a bag of Canidae for JAck??
Maryellen

Solid Gold Wolfking

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:35 pm

Does anyone else use Solid Gold Wolfking?? i would love to give all my dogs the same good food, who prefers solid gold over wellness? and why?
Maryellen

Switching Foods

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:49 pm

For some dogs you can also add Acidopholus and slippery elm to help keep their stool firm. and some dogs you have to do a gradual change. mine i have to do a gradual change. i just printed out the ingredients on solid gold wolfking and wellness fish and potato. now i will research all the ingredients to see what they are.
Maryellen

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:50 pm

RedCrown wrote:FYI, It can take up to six weeks for a dogs system to get fully adjusted to a diet change, even MINOR ones.

Thing that gets me is Doc went from God knows what at his previous home. Chain dog in Alabama so I have to assume grocery store crap, then to Purina or Alpo or something in rescue, then straight to Innova once with me (only a minor case of the runs) and this all of the sudden is supposed to be a food allergy that developed out of nowhere at two. Does that happen?

He was happy and had no problems with coat when I got him and he was living on garbage food....??? No problems switching diets. I will say that all of his joints looked like he was held together with silly putty back then though. He had the worst stride I had ever seen... walked like a gorilla with HD. He has tightened up 110% and walks fine just from good food. Still has the damn runs though. :sad:
moto1320
Regulator

food allergies

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:59 pm

when my gsd was 1 i had to switch her food as she developed food allergies to her old food. i was giving her purina one at that time. now that she is 3, i see that the canidae might be affecting her too. then again, she is not a normal dog to begin with :)) i also had to change her food at 2, now again at 3. uggh. i think alot of it with her has to do with her poor very poor breeding. i am not convinced she is a pure GSD, i am thinking she has either wolf or malamute in her, she is big for a female. her food allergies are to the point where i have to switch her food basically every year. i am thinking i am going to go with the Wolfking to try now.
Maryellen

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues