Pat(Barbponys)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pat(Barbponys)

Postby concreterose » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:06 pm

I took Vicki to the vet today, because she's been chewing on her feet and they're red and inflamed around the nail and in between the pads. The vet thinks it might be food allergies. I switched her to Canidae totally about 3 weeks ago and it's really gotten bad. So it looks like she might be allergic to the Canidae. The vet said it MIGHT be environmental, but she thinks it's food related.

I had her on Solid Gold Beef and Barley before, and she did fine on it. I was thinking about switching her back if I can't find Wellness around here anywhere (I don't want to go through ordering food off the net...gotta be able to get it local). Is the Beef and Barley as bad as the Holistic? I need your expertise.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:15 pm

Hey Concrete,
All the formula's are about equal to be honest. They use common ingredients through out.

Here are the stores I found, I don't know how close they are to you............some how I remembered the name of your town!! Don't ask me how since most days I'm amazed I remember my own name.

Dogma Cat Man Too
734-929-0022
206 N. 4th Ave.
Ann Arbor

Feed Rite
734-699-6990
11760 Belleville Rd.
Belleville Mi

Huron Feed & Supply
737-747-7575
5060 Jackson Rd.
Ann Arbor

Wags to Whiskers
739-944-4800
1363 E. Michigan Ave.
Saline

If none of these stores is convenient then I would go back to the Solid Gold. She did well on the Holistique, she might do just as well on the MMellenium. You can also rotate between them, give her some variety if you choose.

I wish Timberwolf was available somewhere besides Traverse City...... the Ocean Blue formula would work great for her.

The two things I see in the Canidae that may be the culprit.....the two rices and the sunflower oil. There's always a chance she can't tolerate one of the protein sources but it's more likely the rice.

I sure hope you can find some of the Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato, it's sooo miserable to watch them itch.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby concreterose » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:53 pm

Thanks Barb...
I went to the Feed Rite in Belleville, it's about 5 miles from my house :thumbsup:

I got the fish and potato....looks like I'm gonna have to switch her gradually though, it gave her the runs.

I wish I could try the Timberwolf too...but Traverse City is a looonnnggg ways from here!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:00 am

Ugh. I was afraid of that. You might try adding a little pumpkin to it, adds a bit of fibre and soothes the colon at the same time. Kinda like puppy pepto. Most dogs like it so getting them to eat it isn't much of a challenge. A couple of 3 tablespoons per feeding? Make sure it's plain.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:36 pm

I'll try the pumpkin. Thanks!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby hyperbole » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:05 pm

FYI Concrete - Poplin got really bad allergies when he was on Canidae as well. He chewed his arse RAW and ate away all the hair on his hind quarters.... I switched him to Blue Buffalo (lamb) and he's healthier than ever. It was definately a food allergy.

Something in Canidae I guess.....dunno what it could have been?!?
hyperbole

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:04 pm

I don't know...Pat said it could be the rice or sunflower oil. I'm glad you told me because I noticed my other two dogs are chewing on their feet and they're still on the Canidae. I guess I might as well switch all of them since I'm doing it. Thanks!
concreterose
Regulator

CAnidae

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:25 pm

my GSD has been chewing her feet since the onset of spring, and she is on canidae, i wonder if it is affecting her? shoot, i might have to switch her to something else. she was doing really good on it, it was the only food she could eat.

uggh
Maryellen

Postby turtle » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:12 pm

I read that Canidae changed their food slightly a few months ago. Could that be the cause of the itchy problems?

I don't feed Canidae but always felt it was a good food. I found Innova and Wellness a bit too rich. I've been feeding Innova mixed half & half with CA Natural for the last year and she has never looked better. I do give her some raw, her morning meal is a raw chicken wing 5 days a week.

But it does make you wonder about the Canidae... and if the formula change had this affect?

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barbponys » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:42 pm

One of the reasons I hate dry food. The formula changes with no warning and dogs end up reacting. Of course if you ask them they don't have an answer for you.

I'm glad your guys do well on the Natura products. I hope it continues. They could offer me a years supply for free and I would turn them down, but that's just me. To be honest, that would and has been my answer to that offer from several companies. Oh well.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:47 am

I just wanted to add my experience with foods and allergies.
I tried the Wellness and my dog had the runs all the time. Pat helped me choose a food and although my dog is still itchy his tummy has never been better. I can feed him (healthy) snacks for the first time since I've had him. He's eating Timberwolf. :thumbsup:

Thanks Pat!
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

canidae

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:02 am

i used to feed canidae to all my dogs, then about a couple of months ago, around spring time, i found out they changed the food. they now have the puppy adult and senior food as ONE. i think that this is maybe the cause of the red feet on jesse. i remember going to the pet store and asking for the daily maintenance bag, and the woman told me that the company has one bag of food for all stages of life now. i bet thats what it is , i totally forgot about them changing their formula. :roll:
Maryellen

Postby barbponys » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:52 am

:) Glad to hear it agrees better with Kato Dee..............wooo hooooo small victory!!!! :thumbsup:
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:40 am

Thanks, Pat! :bowdown:

It's such a relief not to have to worry about every little thing that Kato eats.

I did wonder if I should order their fish formula,(because he's still itchy) but he is not an active dog (a true couch potato) and I was concerned about the higher protein and fat content.

What do you think?

Thanks very much!
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:37 am

Ok here is a question...Ever since I got grunt hes allways licked his bum alot more then Gizmo ever has. He was on Science Diet and I started him on Canidae. I dont know if its just anal sacs that need to be emptied but it all looks normal down there. Do you think its canidae or just everything hes been thru. He doesnt do it as often but he still licks his bum :yucky: Yucky! I cant believe we talk about the things we talk about! LOL
JessaNGizmo

Next

Return to Health Issues