Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:21 am

Aja,
I have to order Timberwolf on line in my area.
http://www.timberwolforganics.com
It takes 4 days to get here.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby barbponys » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:20 pm

Of the ones you listed SG is definitely the best choice.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby jamiedawn » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:47 am

abman wrote:I do feed a 30% protein feed once in a while during hard working times or during the colder months. Ive seen many dogs live full healthy lives on 30% feeds but 42% seems to be pushing it a bit.

The thing that bothered me the most about evo was that my dog was thirsty constantly.

innova evo has no grain products in it,and low carbs.. the protein content is high, yes, but for dogs with grain allergies, it works wonders. i have seen dogs with no hair from allergies start on evo and a few months later come back in with gleaming coats. the ingredient list for evo is outstanding, IMO, as well as innova's other products. the adult formula has a lower protien content. we sell out of evo as soon as it comes in, lots of people won't feed anything else.
the thing that bothers me the most about most kibble is how it is made, in the rendering plants. do a google search on rendering plants, you'll see what i mean. animal by-product may sound to some like just hooves and toenails, but it is much more gruesome. think:styrofoam, surgical instruments, sawdust,restaurant fryer grease, collars and id tags are all "animal by products" :yucky: this is in the real low end foods, like alpo, ol'roy, and store brands. blech.
jamiedawn

grading scale

Postby aznchipmunk » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:20 am

i got this kibble grading scale from another forum....works out pretty good Precise Plus Adult scored an A+ (101)

Try grading it. I'm not an expert but I think this works pretty well.

Giving Dry Dog Food a Grade: Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer’s rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 - D

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 - F

Canidae / Score 112 - A+

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 - A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 - A+

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 - F

Purina Benful / Score 17 - F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 - F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 - A+

Science DietAdvanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 - F

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 - A
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 - D

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 - F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 - B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 - A

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 - A+
aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: grading scale

Postby HartagoldAST » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:02 pm

aznchipmunk wrote:94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F

Canidae / Score 112 - A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 - A
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 - B

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 - A+

Well I guess my ol' Premium Edge Sensitive Skin ain't too bad according to this formula.... 108 - A+ :peace:
HartagoldAST

Postby aznchipmunk » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:57 pm

this is so funny, the more pitbull forums i read into...the more kibble brands i find!!! i need to have a talk with my specialty shop!!! she tells me she only carries the "best" but according to my research....she carries the "unknown" hmph!!
aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby barbponys » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:00 pm

What's the unknown.

That grading scale gives, Pro Plan, a Purina product an A+? I've never read an ingredient list on ANY Purina product I would feed. Period. That covers the entire spectrum of their feeds too, horse, goat, cow, chicken, dog OR cat...................
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby rwh » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:51 pm

I have been feeding Bruce Science diet puppy formula. Obviously I've been reading your posts about Science diet but what about the DHA in the puppy formula? Does it really help with brain development and training? if so, is there any other food that would be better for him that includes DHA in their recipe? My 7 year old, Wallace, also eats science diet. I like it because it has glucosamine in it, which is really expesive to buy in pill form and she really needs it. I prefer to give her food with glucosamine in it as opposed to buying her pills. Any suggestions?
rwh

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:49 pm

rwh wrote:I have been feeding Bruce Science diet puppy formula. Obviously I've been reading your posts about Science diet but what about the DHA in the puppy formula? Does it really help with brain development and training? if so, is there any other food that would be better for him that includes DHA in their recipe? My 7 year old, Wallace, also eats science diet. I like it because it has glucosamine in it, which is really expesive to buy in pill form and she really needs it. I prefer to give her food with glucosamine in it as opposed to buying her pills. Any suggestions?

Timberwolf probably has more DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid, an omega-3 fatty acid) than Science Diet does. DHA is also found in eggs, organ meats, mackerel and salmon. You also can add salmon oil to any food and get plenty of DHA in your dog's diet. In fact, I'm pretty sure Pat (aka Barbponys), our resident nutrition guru, would reccommend that anyway, as there probably really isn't much DHA in the kibble.

On SD, you're probably feeding more bulk than anything else. You could put both of them on a good premium food and get some glucosamine to add and still be spending about the same amount that you would be on the SD alone. Are you sure that the amount of glucosamine in the kibble is really significant enough to be helping your pooch?

My 55-lb 4-year-old spayed female gets a little less than 2 cups total of timberwolf a day. She is in excellent health and has great muscle tone. You'll probably feed much less of a higher-quality food.

SD doesn't have much, if anything at all, going for it.
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby HartagoldAST » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:26 am

rwh wrote:My 7 year old, Wallace, also eats science diet. I like it because it has glucosamine in it, which is really expesive to buy in pill form and she really needs it. I prefer to give her food with glucosamine in it as opposed to buying her pills. Any suggestions?

Boy that SD marketing really makes people think they're helping their dogs, doesn't it?? :peace: I haven't looked at the puppy or senior formulas, but I got a free sample size of the adult SD at a pet fair a couple of weeks ago. There is NO MEAT at all in this food!!!!!! The main ingredient is CORN, followed by junk like chicken by-product meal (beaks & feathers), and other assorted grains & garbage. NO MEAT at all!!!!

Please don't feed that crap to your dogs. Put them both on a good quality ADULT food (that's right, the puppy does not need puppy food!) instead of that bag o corn you're feeding now.

The amount of glucosamine in the food is NOT enough to do a darn thing for your dog - legally they can't put enough in the food to make a difference, or it would have to be labeled/sold as a drug, not food. Go to Wal Mart and buy yourself a big bottle of the glucosamine/chondroitin tablets for like $15 and that will last you for a couple of months. They're the same thing we take, you don't need to buy the flavored ones from the vet for 3x the amount.

:peace:
HartagoldAST

Postby rwh » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 am

Thanks guys! I won't feed my babies anything that's bad for them. You've opened my eyes! :)
rwh

Postby BlueMaui » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:35 am

so I'm assuming that Wellness Puppy Super5Mix is a good choice. I just switched my puppy to it. Shes having some skin/coat problems so I hope it'll help.

PS. it smells like goldfish food...
BlueMaui
Matured Bully

Postby AchillesThePit » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:22 am

Has anyone heard of/feeding a brand called "Canine Caviar"? If so, what do you think and is it a good quality dog food to feed?
AchillesThePit

Postby Bosses Dad » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:47 pm

Boss is on Wellness Super Mix. It does have pretty good sutff in it. He seems to like it and he eats less so its cheaper.
Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Athena's mommy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:54 pm

ok i was looking into the raw food diet highly but i was wondering about the bloodborne pathogens? I mean i like the idea of keeping a hjealthy dog our dogs are part of a family we love them like they are our children cause they are. Im also looking at the dick van pattens nature balance it scored highly and enzo needs to switch his food the doc says. then again she says if its not at petsmart its no good? what is that all about i spent an hour looking for food one day read the backs of all the foods none of them were good. then she tells me no on raw unless i really have a plan.
Athena's mommy

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues