Gaining Weight but losing muscle Mass

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Gaining Weight but losing muscle Mass

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:59 am

Ok , my GSD who is a pit at heart, has gained 6lbs but lost muscle mass, i had her at the vet last night and they took blood work , but does anyone know why a dog would gain weight but lose muscle mass?

she eats 2x a day with Canidae dry, mixed with Prozyme supplements, Glucosomine, liver, and natural balance.

any ideas?? i am a basket case as she is only 3 and is Rufus's playmate, yet she looks like she is all sucked in. :sad:

Does anyone know why this would happen? she is an active girl, she gets plenty of exercise and couch relaxing, but this is just weird. I am waiting for the vet to open to get the blood work back.

Help
Maryellen

Postby Fish » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:10 am

How mush loss are we talking about, I mean its summer time, and hot, you should expect some weight loss this time of the year if your dog is outside alot.
Fish

gaining weight losing muscle mass

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:16 am

Hi Fish,

my GSD is not outside in the hot weather alot, due to her coat being thick (used to be anyway). I had blood drawn for thyroid and am waiting for the results. she is very active, but losing muscle mass and her coat being dry and brittle is an indication something is wrong. i am thinking either thyroid, cushings, or addisons maybe, or heart.

i did alot of research since i posted my question and now i am waiting for blood tests to come back.
Maryellen

Postby gypsydog » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:29 am

Im not sure how severe you are talking about, but my rott/husky mix is doing the same thing this summer. It is hot so she is less active. She has prob gained close to the same amount of weight as your shepard and also lost some muscle. My female pitty has also gained a tad bit but only like a pound or so. Just wanted to let you know the problem could be purely related to it being so hot. Your dog is prob slightly less active during the day causing him to pack on a few pounds. Nothing wrong with getting a check-up though.
gypsydog

losing muscle mass

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:40 am

she lost ALOT of muscle mass in her head, chest, back and hindquarters. she looks sucked in., is lethargic, drinking alot of water, and her coat is dull brittle and falling out everywhere. since i took her to the vet on thursday and friday for bloodwork i have to wait and see. her symptoms are all the same in certain aspects of thyroid, addisons, and cushing disease. she is only 3, and for her to be this way is not right. she doesnt even want to be near anyone, and she has not played with my pit in a week, which is totally not her. once i get the blood results back on monday i will know what to do then. she gained 6lbs of weight, but lost more muscle mass :sad:
Maryellen

Postby gypsydog » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:31 am

yeah, ok what you are describing does sound alot different than what i see in my idiots. I hope your dog is ok, please keep us updated.
gypsydog

Postby concreterose » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:35 pm

Did you get her thyroid checked?
concreterose
Regulator

Losing muscle mass

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:47 pm

i had 3 vials of blood drawn on thursday and friday total. the first T4 came back fine, as did the CBC and glucose. now i am waiting for some other T tests to come back tomorrow. she even has an Odor about her, which is pretty nasty. i feel so bad for her. today i had a BBQ and my folks and brother were like, whats wrong with her?? i said see, there is something wrong, but i dont know yet until the results come back. i have been on eggshells since friday waiting for the results to come back yet.

For those out there who are even thinking of rescuing a dog from a BYB, beware, i spent over $3000 the first year my GSD was with me on health issues, and got a year break inbetween, and now this :sad:

always research before you get a dog from anyone.

of course, that being said, i will do anything and everything to get her better, no matter what the cost.
Maryellen

Postby concreterose » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:29 pm

For those out there who are even thinking of rescuing a dog from a BYB, beware, i spent over $3000 the first year my GSD was with me on health issues, and got a year break inbetween, and now this Sad

Amen to that :roll:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:36 pm

I hate to say it but it sounds like classic thyroid or addisons. The drinking, hair loss, brittle coat, sucked in, lack of interest...........:(. What kind of smell? Are flies attracted to her?? I'm hoping the best for you and your little girl..........
barbponys
Health Guru

Losing Weight

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:20 am

Hi Pat,
she just has an odor about her. it comes and goes, she never had it before. on thursday she smelled like rotten eggs when she burped. now her coat has this odor to it, i cant explain what it smells like. once i get the blood tests back i will know what to do, uugggg the waiting
Maryellen

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:21 am

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. A friend of mine has gone down the same road with his GSD. After all the $...now Cushings on top of it.
moto1320
Regulator

weight loss

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:24 am

thanks, i called the vet and the Free t4 came back normal, so did the regular t4, the CBC and the glucose, i am now waiting for 3 more results to come back. if i knew what it was i could then start treating it, i hate waiting :wallbang:
Maryellen

Postby blover27 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:28 am

the waiting is the worst part... :sad:
blover27

Return to Health Issues