DEFF?????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

DEFF?????

Postby zombie » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:23 pm

could that be a problem with the line or is that just something unfortunite that happens?
-willy-
zombie

Postby concreterose » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:33 pm

Why do you think the dog is deaf?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby zombie » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:44 pm

he is...im not just guessing he is...he is...im not a newby i got alot of dogs...he dosent hear me when i come home you can make noises in his ears when he is sleeping he dose not hear you...i know hes deff...
-willy-
zombie

Postby Boo439 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:04 pm

Not to be rude, but if you know so much, you should know that your dog is "deaf". What color is your dog? White ones tend to inherit deafness.
Boo439

Postby concreterose » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:27 pm

he is...im not just guessing he is...he is...im not a newby i got alot of dogs..

Well, if that's the case, why don't you know about his "lines"? Were his parents deaf, his grandparents, or any other dogs in his "line"? What about his littermates? How much do you know about his background?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:39 pm

Sounds like you should be telling us what lines to avoid if your dog is deaf..................who did you get him from and what is his lineage?[/list][/list]
barbponys
Health Guru

Re: DEFF?????

Postby hyperbole » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:54 pm

zombie wrote:im not a newby i got alot of dogs...

zombie wrote:when he is sleeping he dose not hear you...i know hes deff...

Anyone ever seen the movie Run Ronnie Run?

I know I'm not being helpful, but I just can't help myself. It's like a SICKNESS.

roflmao

zombie wrote:could that be a problem with the line or is that just something unfortunite that happens?

I think the problem could be...lol....oh, I just can't. I'm too cruel. :crybaby:
hyperbole

Postby Blue Steel » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:58 pm

What color is your dog? What color are your dog's eyes? Is there any pigment on the inside of the pinna (ear flap)?

What color/markings are your dog's parents, grandparents, and great-grand parents? Do either (any) of them display the Piebald gene? Dogs homozygous for the Extreme Piebalding gene can be deaf (spelled d-e-a-f, not d-e-f-f) although not all are. If the dog has blue eyes, it's more likely that he/she is deaf. If it is due to the Extreme Piebald gene deafness occurs between the ages of three and four weeks, and as far as I know, cannot be treated (i.e. "cured").

If there is the Piebald gene in the line, and it is expressed as Extreme Piebalding, then YES, it is a problem within the line.

There's my two cents ... for what it's worth.
Blue Steel

Postby blover27 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:31 pm

i would say the breed is more dope or super fly than deff

now i am a bad person too :crybaby:
blover27

Postby hyperbole » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:45 pm

blover27 wrote:i would say the breed is more dope or super fly than deff

now i am a bad person too :crybaby:

roflmao

I am not the only one!
hyperbole

Postby zombie » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:46 pm

lol....sorry when im in a rush i cant spell....when i said im not a newby i ment i have dogs....dont get me wrong i dont know everything....sorry for comming off that way....this is veary helpfull...yes he is white,yes he dose have blue eyes...i never knew that......hes greyline and gaff...none of the litter mates parents or grand parents are DEAF thank you for the
help -willy-
zombie

Postby blover27 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:11 pm

You are welcome :thumbsup: Good luck :)
Last edited by blover27 on Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
blover27

Postby Blue Steel » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:19 pm

;) You're welcome.

Soooo, what color/markings are your pup's sire and dam (grandsires and granddams)? Any of them have white tummy/white sox/white tail tip/white blaze on face and/or white collar? (Sorry, just curious) If so, that's indicative of the presence of the Piebald gene, or the Extreme Piebald gene. The more white there is, the more the gene is being expressed.
Blue Steel

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:24 pm

Speaking from my experience with boxers, the deaf gene is very present because of the popularity of chrome. Flashy fawns and brindles have a ton of white on them, and it's just started tapering off. I love the practice of culling white boxers, the f'ing breeders are the reason for them being there in the first place. They aren't a "throw back" but a direct result of producing flashy dogs in the first place!!!!! Breeding flash to flash would produce AT LEAST one white per litter. Flash to plain, hey, imagine that, no whites. DUH!!! I expect the same would hold true for pits, at least to some degree.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:49 pm

I've seen one non-predominantly white deaf apbt, the others I've met are mainly white.
Deafness in ab's is very high, I've seen quite a bit of it. Funny, people had real issues w/dogs that were predominantly colored.
My son's dog, Cyclone, suffers from late onset deafness, which started at about age 6. We had associated w/the case of parvo she developed at 12 weeks. However, we took care of one of her 5 year old sons for a few months, when his owner was being treated for cancer, and he had no problem hearing. He returned to us about a year later, when his owner had passed away. He was completely deaf. So, it was genetic, though we never saw it in any other offspring, nor have I heard of late onset deafness in other lines. Yes, she had predominantly white dogs back in her pedigree, she has a little white herself, and the deaf son's sire was a predominantly white dog, and a line breeding. The deaf son had a fair amount of flash. Figures, too, this female produced OFA excellent from 2 different sires. Flying A bloodline, you don't see it around much anymore.
Leslie H
Regulator

Return to Health Issues