Puppy on adult food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Puppy on adult food?

Postby RooK » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:15 pm

I've got a three month old, and the breeder i got him (Marley) from, has him on Pro Plan Adult food....not puppy food. Should I change over to a puppy food? If so, what kind, and how often? He is about 25lbs.
RooK

Postby Ariel Payopay » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:12 am

Switch him to puppy food. It has more protein. He needs the protein to develop his muscles. Otherwise his low protein adult food will make him develop a dog with narrow legs. I feed my dog Wellness. You can find it here www.oldmotherhubbard.com
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby RooK » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:46 am

Ok, once i get the Wellness, how often should i feed him since hes been eating all this adult food?
RooK

Postby Mutt blood » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:28 pm

Most puppy foods(and foods in general) have feeding guidlines on the bag. You match up the weight(25 lbs?) to his age in weeks on the chart and it will tell you how much(total) to feed a day that will meet his caloric needs. You can feed half in the morning and half in the evening, all at once, or 3 times a day. That is just personal preference and how you think your dog will eat the best. Hope this helps.
Mutt blood
Newborn Bully

Postby wndrtwns04 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:49 pm

I have heard so many different opinions on this. My vet says to stay away from foods with lamb in it because they grow too fast. She also said to switch my boy at 6 months to adult food so he doesn't gain too much weight. What does everyone else think?
wndrtwns04

Puppy on Adult food

Postby jcolt32 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:21 pm

Tell your vet to stick to medicine. Many breeds especially Pits may have one final surge of growth at 7-9 months of age or even later depending on breed. Get him on a good puppy food or even a life stages formula like Canidae, Flint River or Natural Balance. This way you can switch him now and you wouldn't have to switch him for years - or at least not in another 6-8 months. Wellness is a great puppy food. But, in your situation I would suggest one of the life stages formulas. Either way get him on a good supplement to offest the lack of protein or give him some eggs mixed in wiht his food.

Life Stages means it's for puppy and adults.
jcolt32

Puppy/Adult switch

Postby pitbull_connor » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:23 pm

I've been feeding my Connor puppy food till he was 1 1/2 years old. Petsmart people told me to feed him that until he starts to gain weight. But he never did and hasnt gotten bigger structure wise since 1 year so I finally switched him to Adult Premiun Performance. Brand of food is Eukanuba
pitbull_connor

Return to Health Issues