springboard or spring pole

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

springboard or spring pole

Postby sikz3 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:52 am

I hear a lot of you mention a springboard or is it a springpole to tire your dog out. What are these things and can someone post pics? My dog need more exercise. Thanks and sorry for the dumb "?'s"
sikz3

Postby Justice82003 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:18 am

A springpole is just a spring hanging from either a tree or somthing else. Than you atatch a tug of some sort, my boys really like rawhide softened up a little bit. Burlap works good, or any tug that your dog likes. Make sure you put enough space between the spring and the tug so your dog has no chance of biting the spring. I used a heavy duty garage door spring that I got at home depot for like $12.

Start your dog of low escpecialy if it's a pup. If it's a pup(under 12 months) don't let there back feet leave the ground. Ofcouse some dog's will jump no matter what.

Joe
Justice82003

Postby Xypher » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:32 am

Hey, i made one of these but Chico doesnt seem to like to jump right now (he barely gets his front legs about 1 1/2 feet off the ground), im trying to get him to jump for this raccoon looking thing on the flirt pole. Still too young (about 8-9 months)? Oh yeah, and are trampoline springs ok (I put old ones that were more bouncy)? I put 2 together but im thinking I should put 3.
Xypher

Postby Demo Dick » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:34 am

Just an FYI, don't use a burlap tug until the dog has matured. Burlap is very bad for puppy's teeth and gums. Use a soft leather tug at first, and when the dog gets its adult teeth, switch to burlap.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby Boo439 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:47 am

Hooter uses her favorite rope toy. Here's a pic of it from top to bottom, and also the pieces my husband made to make the spring pole.

Boo439

Postby raebo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:27 am

Finnegan's springpole was made from old bicycle inner tubes. You can see them to the right of the flag in this picture.

From top to bottom:
Flat webbing strap wrapped around tree
2 old bicycle inner tubes (free at bike shop... they were throwing them out)
Rope
Rope tug toy.

As you can see she really likes it. Just be prepared for the gawd-awful noises that your dog will make when playing with it. lol
raebo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby moto1320 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:51 am

This is what I use too. There is a 55 gallon drum of blown tubes at the local bike shop and are always going to be free. Also, the resistance gives much much more of an all body workout IMO You can also adjust resistance as the dog gets stronger with the tube method.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Motodiva » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:09 pm

So here's an additional question:

How long do you let you dogs play on the springpole? When we built it I had nooooo idea how crazy Libby would be for it. She goes nuts! I let her play until her gums bleed, which is 5-10 minutes. I'm also having a hard time getting her to drop it. Normally she is very good and drops anything.

I can't reward her with anything like a treat since she ignores the whole world except for that piece of rope. Any ideas?

Sanya

P.S. I wish someone had warned me about the noise. I thought she was dying. The only good news is, if she gets it down while unsupervised I can hear her from the whole house and front yard!
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby moto1320 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:18 pm

Trade out for another prey type toy. I have a be all end all carcass of a stuffed sheep that Daisy would step over my dead body to get to. I keep it put away and only break it out when I really need to get her to release something. Work on a solid "out" command with a rope toy not on the pole. I let mine go about 20-30 mins in the beginning. With the inner tubes they get worn out quickly so I don't have to worry about them going too too long.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues