Canidae Dry Kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Canidae Dry Kibble

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:18 am

i wrote a letter (email) to canidae this morning complaining very nicely about how they changed their formula and my dogs and others are having problems. i hope they respond to me. i should have remembered that when they changed their formula is when i started having problems with Jesse.
Maryellen

Postby barbponys » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:35 am

We have only carried the "lifestage" forumla, I've been back the store for about 16 months and that's all we've had, along with the Platinum. You wouldn't by chance have an old bag laying around??? I would love to see what they changed. Has it always had sunflower oil in it?
barbponys
Health Guru

canidae

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:42 am

Sorry Pat,

i only have the new bags now, the old ones were called Daily Maintenance. the color of the bag was different too i remember. i cant remember what the old ingredients were, but it was about the same time they changed formulas, which was around march/april of this year. i even commented tothe pet store that the bag was not what i had before, as the old bag was strictly for adults. not a combination of pups/adults/seniors. i wish i had kept the ingredient label.
Maryellen

Postby barbponys » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:03 pm

I understand how that goes. Sometimes I wish I had kept things like that but with all the crap cluttered around here?? Sheesh
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby X-girl » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:09 pm

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
X-girl
Regulator

canidae

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:09 pm

the best part is i tore off the old ingredient label at one point to check and go over the ingredients with my trainer. of course i got rid of it a while ago (almost 2 years ago) i usually keep silly stuff like that too. :po:
Maryellen

Postby Fish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:07 pm

Well you got my attention, Canidae is what I am planning on feeding my pup when I get her, Wish these 8 weeks would hurry up and go by, lol. Anyway, what did they change in the food, I hope it isn't corn. I have a friend that sells Canidae Brand close to me.
Fish

canidae

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:23 pm

i sent an email to canidae this morning asking them what were the ingredients in the old style food the Daily Maintenance, and the woman wrote me back saying the ingredients didnt change, they had to re label some of the ingredients. yet she would not tell me what the ingredients were in the daily maintenance. i wish i had the old ingredient label :sad:

i am switching all mine to Solid Gold Wolfking adult food. you should try the wolf cub brand for puppies of soldid gold.

with the canidae, i dont understand how they can say that one brand can take care of the nutrients for pups, adults and seniors, they used tohave a senior/overweight bag called platinum, but i havent seen it around here in a while since they changed the daily maintenance to the life stages brand. not for nothing, how can one food be good for all stages of growing?? granted the kibble is small, i will still use the small kibble for rufus's buster cube, they fit in there fine. basically you have to try to stay away from food that has corn, and stuff like that in it, and make sure the first 10 ingredients are real, as thats what makes up the food alot. i got an education on dog food from my one dog trainer, she is a AKC Earthdog Judge and raises and breeds Long haired dachunds. she taught me alot of what to look for, like stay away from by products. i had no problem with the canidae until they changed the bag back in the spring.
Maryellen

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:25 pm

they used tohave a senior/overweight bag called platinum, but i havent seen it around here in a while

Maryellen, they do still make the Platinum, which is what I use for my fatty doxie and my old lady Reba. We have to order it, more often than not, though, because so few people order it from my supply store.
BabyReba
Regulator

Canidae Platinum

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:28 pm

At least you can still get it by you., i had sonny on it and it helped with his weight really good, i am just concerned with why the change in the regular name and why its now all stages. the dogs are doing good on the wolfking, and my vet said its a good brand, better than canidae.
Maryellen

Postby Fish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:51 pm

I really only know what I have read in the Forum, so what I know you know,lol, But my Personal opion, I don't trust what Vets, say about dog food. When you walk in their doors and they try and sell you Sience Diet and the like. I asked the question in the Forum you brought up about one food for all dogs no matter the age and all the respones I got were that a good food is a good food no matter what.
Fish

canidae

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:07 pm

i never ever trust the vet when it comes to food, i trust my trainer who has more knowledge. i was suprised the vet said the solid gold was good, as he said the canidae was good too when i told him i had the dogs on it
Maryellen

Postby elegy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:39 pm

i have an old brochure from canidae and the ingredient list doesn't look very different to me. the old stuff did indeed have sunflower oil. they took out brewers yeast and added yeast culture and changed a few of the additive type things as far as i can tell. it looks like they took out more than they added, but my head is spinning so i might be wrong.

my dog hasn't had any problem with the recipe change, happily.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby abman » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:30 pm

I used to be happy with canidae and then i noticed changes in my dog and was wondering why. Now that you mention the changes ill have to try and find out what was changed since it happened about the same time. I havent used it for very long anyway but i wont be buying it again.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:56 pm

I've switched to Canidae gradually a few weeks ago, my dog has had stomach cramps since the first day! So much for the $$$ stuff! I'm going back to his usual cheap stuff. He did much better on it anyway.
Nick

Next

Return to Health Issues