Do you give supplements?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Do you give supplements?

Sea Meal
No votes
Flax Seed Oil
13%
Multi Vitamans
8%
Yucca
No votes
1 or more of the above
21%
None
58%

Total votes : 24

Do you give supplements?

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:13 pm

If yes what do you give, How many times a day? Why? Where do you get it from also!

I give my two spoiled brats a few supplements with High quality food. I feed them Canidae Dry with 1/4 cup of Canidae Canned with Sea Meal (Two times a day)and Flax Seed Oil(Once in the morning). I was feeding them today and wondered if any of you give supplements and what for. The main reason why I do Sea Meal and Flaxc Seed oil is because I want my babies healthy and happy and of course have beautifull shiny coats and both help with that. Mine is Solid Gold product and was wondering if anyone had a place to get it cheaper online! I use 6 tsp a day of the flax seed oil and well 12 oz doesnt last me to long! Just wondering and thought I would ask!
JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:23 pm

As some of you know Grunt/Baloo used to look like this when I got him in April. He broke out once I got him from the stress and I Put him on Caniade with Sea Meal. He started doing really well and now looks like a pup that has never had an issue in life. I started him on the Flax Seed oil because it helps with the Immune System and helping the skin and fur rebuild and also helps joints and he needs all that. So thought I would share my success story!

JessaNGizmo

Postby hyperbole » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:44 pm

Poplin is currently on 2 to 3 cups of Blue Buffalo kibble (I never measure very accurately) with vanilla flavored yoghurt and a bit of flax seed oil every day, and a raw egg every other day. He often gets snacks or leftovers of people food and occasionally gets raw beef or chicken.

The yoghurt is a large family size container of "all natural" vanilla flavored yoghurt purchased at just about any grocery store. The eggs and flax seed oil are of the organic persuasion, purchased at a Whole Foods market.
hyperbole

Postby concreterose » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:15 pm

Pookie and Vicki get 1 teaspoon of Sea Meal twice per day, 2000 mg of Salmon Oil (Pookie gets 4000 mg because of her cancer), and 1000 mg of Vitamin C with Ester (Pookie gets 2000 mg).
concreterose
Regulator

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:23 pm

I give the dogs fish and/or salmon oil, 250 mg vitamin e gelcaps in their food a couple times per week, and a supplement called Fresh Factors that contains bee pollen, sea kelp, chondroitin, and a few other goodies. Pblove who recently joined this forum turned me onto the stuff, and it has really had an impact on the dogs' digestive systems. skin, and coats--in a good way, I mean! It's made by a company called Springtime Manufacturing, and so far, I really, really like it!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby blover27 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:43 pm

The only thing I add to Jacks wellness is a pinch of olive oil and a little garlic powder...just started doing that the other day after I read it somewhere here...his kibble is mixed with either turkey, ham or a slice of low fat american otherwise he just wont eat :huh?: I actually would like opinions on the olive oil and garlic powder... :dunno: We also just picked up some low fat plain yogurt and was gonna mix in a small portion in his meals...

thoughts comments concerns??
blover27

Postby concreterose » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:04 pm

Fresh garlic seems to work better than powder at keeping mosquitos and fleas away. I'm just more comfortable using fresh of anything whenever possible. I also give them an orange slice (not too often because of the acid) and carrots for vitamin C.

Olive oil is good, but you may want to add fish or salmon oil everyday for the omega 3 fatty acids. It's interesting, Pookie's oncologist told me to avoid omega 6 fatty acids, as recent research has shown that it can actually cause cancer (doesn't everything :roll: ). She told me to give salmon oil (it's good for shrinking tumors) or fish oil with omega 3 fatty acid.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:46 pm

concreterose wrote: It's interesting, Pookie's oncologist told me to avoid omega 6 fatty acids, as recent research has shown that it can actually cause cancer (doesn't everything :roll: ). .

Really? I wonder if we could find some info online about this...
JessaNGizmo

Postby elegy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:48 pm

luce gets a spoonful of yogurt on her canidae and that's it. poor soul.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby moto1320 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:21 pm

does bacon count...what about pizza....? lol

Everything has been put on hold until Doc and his butt get on the same team. I did use:

raw eggs
canned salmon (my dogs are insane for fish of any kind)
olive oil
fresh garlic (though it may smell good to the dog it won't do anything for them powdered)
yogurt
Ester-C
banannas
carrots
broccoli flourettes
I know there is more...

I will be adding crushed flax seed, MSM/Ester-C, and yogurt again first
moto1320
Regulator

Postby gooeydog » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:54 pm

Goo (11 yrs, 55ish lbs) gets:
2000 mg (sometimes 3000 if she's had a lot of exercise, or if I see signs of her allergies) salmon oil
2- 200iu pills of vit E
2 pills- vitamin/digestive supplement thingies made by wellness (I think they're called WellTabs, but not sure)
Every night, and as soon as I get out to the health store, I'm going to get some MSM and start her back on that, she doesn't have much in the way of joint probs (knock on wood), but I tried it last fall and it seemed to make a bit of a good difference in her, so we're going to start back on it.

She also gets "good" people food here and there, a bit of scrambled egg when we make breakfast, veggies and some fruits, etc.

I read the same thing about omega 6's causing certain types of tumors to grow, and besides, most foods already have enough omega 6 in them, it's the omega 3's that aren't at the amount needed for good balance.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby gooeydog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:33 am

On Flaxseed oil and it's efficiency in dogs: http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=efas

An article on omega 6 and cancer (just found it, and skimmed over, so I don't know how good it is):
http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/n3favet.htm
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby blover27 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:33 am

fresh garlic (though it may smell good to the dog it won't do anything for them powdered)

you guys get fresh garlic off a bulb and crush it? how many cloves do you use per meal?
blover27

Postby concreterose » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:46 am

I give them one small clove each per day. You could crush it in a garlic crusher or cut it by hand.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Ariel Payopay » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:47 am

I give my dog glucosamine chondroitin to help with his joints.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Health Issues