pitbulliest wrote:hey that reminds me...is garlic toxic if its given in large quantities? I know that goes for onions so I was just thinking.
In VERY large quantities, yes. In a normal amount, it's actually very helpful. It's a natural way to fight parasites (especially those in the digestive tract), also infections, reduces cholesterol, and is often an effective way to treat allergies. All these things are true for both people and animals. I'm sure there are other benefits that I'm forgetting...
But to answer your first question, it is toxic to pets only in very large amounts... you would have to feed them upwards of 10 to 15 cloves a day for them to feel any ill effects.
Levi and Caesar both get a clove of garlic cut up and wrapped in cheese on a regular basis (couple times a week).