Yum. Euthanized dogs as an ingredient!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Yum. Euthanized dogs as an ingredient!

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:06 pm

Wow...now I know what they do with the dogs that get euthanized at the vet clinic and local shelters.......YUmmm.... :yucky:

http://www.fda.gov/CVM/efoi/dfchart.htm
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Boo439 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:13 pm

Ewwww!!!!!!! That's why my animals that had to be put down were cremated and are sitting in an urn in my office or are buried in the back yard. Blech!!!!
Boo439

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:18 pm

OK call me stupid. I didn't get it. My dogs food wasn't up there anyway.
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pollypop » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:21 pm

That's just... nasty. Nasty. Yes, that's the word for it.

:yucky:
pollypop

Postby mnp13 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:05 pm

Dogs, cats, flea collars, nylon collars... you name it.

It's called 'rendered protein' and it is a protein source for human food as well.

A Google serach for rendering returns some stomach churning information.

I posted about it in this thread:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... g&start=15

Michelle
mnp13

Postby hyperbole » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:27 pm

What is the significance of phenobarbital? My ma is an epileptic and she has a perscription for phenobarb... AFAIK it's a tranquilizer type drug. ?
hyperbole

Postby pollypop » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:54 pm

Phenobarbital (brand names include Luminal, Solfoton), which your mother takes, is a barbiturate which is used to control epilepsy. Sodium pentobarbital (brand name Nembutal), which is what was in the pet foods, is a different barbituate which is commonly used to euthanize pets and livestock.

The presence of it in pet foods suggests that the foods contain rendered euthanized animals.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/efoi/DFreport.htm

Personally, I don't care if the FDA has determined that small amounts of pentobarbital is not likely to cause adverse affects -- would you take barbiturates you didn't need, because they probably wouldn't hurt you? I sure wouldn't.
pollypop

Postby JCleve86 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:03 pm

Because pentobarbital is used to euthanize dogs and cats at animal shelters, finding pentobarbital in rendered feed ingredients could suggest that the pets were rendered and used in pet food.

- 2 -

CVM scientists, as part of their investigation, developed a test to detect dog and cat DNA in the protein of the dog food. All samples from the most recent dog food survey (2000) that tested positive for pentobarbital, as well as a subset of samples that tested negative, were examined for the presence of remains derived from dogs or cats. The results demonstrated a complete absence of material that would have been derived from euthanized dogs or cats.

-Looks to me like the food is still safe...our doggies aren't eating other doggies at this point.
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:55 pm

ok now i get it
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby aleks215 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:21 pm

this is a dog eat dog world...
aleks215

Postby elegy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:23 pm

ok call me naive but i don't think there are euthanized cats and dogs in there. horses, yes. but cats and dogs... i doubt it.

i wouldn't feed any of the foods on that list anyway, so....
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby spane1 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:00 pm

When I was in high school I worked at a small vetrinary office, we had a freezer for expired dogs with no further plans (cremation, burial, etc.).

The vet told me the "Alpo Truck" came every so often to clean it out.

Sarah
spane1

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:09 pm

Spane..yeah I heard of that before...I hightly doubt it DOESNT happen...after all, most of the companies just care about money and making everything for as little as possible and then selling it for as much as possible....yeah its pooh and yeah it happens. People suck
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby hyperbole » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:41 am

pollypop wrote:Sodium pentobarbital (brand name Nembutal), which is what was in the pet foods, is a different barbituate which is commonly used to euthanize pets and livestock.

Ok, now that link makes a whole lot more sense.

pollypop wrote:would you take barbiturates you didn't need, because they probably wouldn't hurt you?

Yeah, but I'm the kind of guy that saves the extra vicodin from my trip to the dentist for a lonely Friday night. :)) lol
hyperbole

Postby wndrtwns04 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:06 pm

Hyper, I think we could get along fine. :headbang:
wndrtwns04

Next

Return to Health Issues